Page 1 of 1

British Muslim bashing programme completely distorted

Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:42 am
by *jr
I've just found this press release from the Crown Prosecution Service in Britain. The press release relates to Channel 4 Dispatches programme "Undercover Mosque" broadcasted on January 2007, which claimed to go undercover at several Mosques in Britain saying that "chilling sermons" were made which stirred up hatred against non Muslims.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Joint statement regarding Channel 4 Dispatches programme

8 August 2007

West Midlands Police have completed their investigation into the Channel 4 Dispatches programme 'Undercover Mosque' broadcast in January 2007.
The police investigation initially looked at whether there had been any criminal offences committed by those featured in the programme and following careful consideration by the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS), West Midlands Police have been advised that there is insufficient evidence to bring charges against those individuals featured within the programme.
West Midlands Police acknowledge the concerns that some parts of the programme may have been considered offensive, however when analysed in their full context there was not enough evidence to bring criminal charges against any individual.
ACC Anil Patani for West Midlands Police said: "As a result of our initial findings, the investigation was then extended to include issues relating to the editing and portrayal of the documentary.
"The priority for West Midlands Police has been to investigate the documentary and it’s making with as much rigour as the extremism the programme sought to portray".
The police investigation concentrated on three speakers and their comments in the programme. CPS reviewing lawyer Bethan David considered 56 hours of media footage of which only a small part was used in the programme.
She said: "The splicing together of extracts from longer speeches appears to have completely distorted what the speakers were saying.
"The CPS has demonstrated that it will not hesitate to prosecute those responsible for criminal incitement. But in this case we have been dealing with a heavily edited television programme, apparently taking out of context aspects of speeches, which, in their totality, could never provide a realistic prospect of any convictions".
The CPS was also asked by the police to consider whether a prosecution under the Public Order Act 1986 should be brought against Channel 4 for broadcasting a programme including material likely to stir up racial hatred. Miss David advised West Midlands Police that on the evidence available, there was insufficient evidence that racial hatred had been stirred up as a direct consequence of the programme. It would also be necessary to identify a key individual responsible for doing this together with an intent to stir up racial hatred, which was not possible.
West Midlands Police has taken account of this advice and explored options available to them and has now referred the matter to the broadcasting regulators Ofcom as a formal complaint.

West Midlands Police has also informed Channel

http://www.cps.gov.uk/news/pressreleases/153_07.html

Re: British Muslim bashing programme completely distorted

Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:55 am
by *jr
Breaking in last 10 mins - 2nd Documentary on "Britain under Attack" under investigation...a second documentary shown on Channel 4 called "Britain under attack" is being investigated by the police.

http://media.guardian.co.uk/site/story/ ... 3,00.ht...

"A Met spokesman said: "We are assessing the content of a Dispatches programme broadcast on August 6 to determine if an offence has been committed. We will be liaising with the Crown Prosecution Service in due course."

"The police have requested untransmitted programme and research material," said a Channel 4 spokeswoman.

"Channel 4's policy, consistent with that of all broadcasters, is to require the police to obtain a court order before such material is handed over. The police must satisfy a court that such material is of substantial value to their investigation and that disclosure is in the public interest. Channel 4 will be responding to the police request shortly."

Dispatches: Britain Under Attack was made by reporter and director Phil Rees, who has extensively investigated terrorism and extremism for the BBC, and also written for the Guardian, New Statesman and Independent."