Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

U.S Contractors in Iraq Firing on Civilians

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
michael_ital
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

U.S Contractors in Iraq Firing on Civilians

Postby michael_ital » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:30 am

Updated: 12:33 a.m. ET Aug 12, 2007
There are now nearly as many private contractors in Iraq as there are U.S. soldiers — and a large percentage of them are private security guards equipped with automatic weapons, body armor, helicopters and bullet-proof trucks.

They operate with little or no supervision, accountable only to the firms employing them. And as the country has plummeted toward anarchy and civil war, this private army has been accused of indiscriminately firing at American and Iraqi troops, and of shooting to death an unknown number of Iraqi citizens who got too close to their heavily armed convoys.

Not one has faced charges or prosecution.

There is great confusion among legal experts and military officials about what laws — if any — apply to Americans in this force of at least 48,000.

Murky set of rules
They operate in a decidedly gray legal area. Unlike soldiers, they are not bound by the Uniform Code of Military Justice. Under a special provision secured by American-occupying forces, they are exempt from prosecution by Iraqis for crimes committed there.

The security firms insist their employees are governed by internal conduct rules and by use-of-force protocols established by the Coalition Provisional Authority, the U.S. occupation government that ruled Iraq for 14 months following the invasion.

But many soldiers on the ground — who earn in a year what private guards can earn in just one month — say their private counterparts should answer to a higher authority, just as they do. More than 60 U.S. soldiers in Iraq have been court-martialed on murder-related charges involving Iraqi citizens.

No prosecutions
Some military analysts and government officials say the contractors could be tried under the Military Extraterritorial Jurisdiction Act, which covers crimes committed abroad. But so far, that law has not been applied to them.

Security firms earn more than $4 billion in government contracts, but the government doesn’t know how many private soldiers it has hired, or where all of them are, according to the Government Accountability Office. And the companies are not required to report violent incidents involving their employees.

Security guards now constitute nearly 50 percent of all private contractors in Iraq — a number that has skyrocketed since the 2003 invasion, when then-Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld said rebuilding Iraq was the top priority. But an unforeseen insurgency, and hundreds of terrorist attacks have pushed the country into chaos. Security is now Iraq’s greatest need.

Click for related content
Iraq security contracts soar over budget
NBC: Did American fire on Iraqis for sport?

Efforts to boost accountability
The wartime numbers of private guards are unprecedented — as are their duties, many of which have traditionally been done by soldiers. They protect U.S. military operations and have guarded high-ranking officials including Gen. David Petraeus, the U.S. commander in Baghdad. They also protect visiting foreign officials and thousands of construction projects.

At times, they are better equipped than military units.

Their presence has also pushed the war’s direction. The 2004 battle of Fallujah — an unsuccessful military assault in which an estimated 27 U.S. Marines were killed, along with an unknown number of civilians — was retaliation for the killing, maiming and burning of four Blackwater guards in that city by a mob of insurgents.

“I understand this is war,” said Rep. Jan Schakowsky, D-Ill., whose efforts for greater contractor accountability led to an amendment in next year’s Pentagon spending bill. “But that’s absolutely no excuse for letting this very large force of armed private employees, dare I say mercenaries, run around without any accountability to anyone.”

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20231579/
Last edited by michael_ital on Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

michael_ital
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Re: Iraq Contractors Firing on Civilians

Postby michael_ital » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:15 pm

Not one reply, and only 6 views? Wow.

muslim-man
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Re: U.S Contractors in Iraq Firing on Civilians

Postby muslim-man » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:22 pm

People are tired of reading news coming from iraq mike hence the no reply status of your thread Laughing

michael_ital
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby michael_ital » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:24 pm

But the view count ? I dunno. I'm inclined to think it's more on account of the collective I.Q of Snet being signifigantly lowered due to the influx of UK Forum escapees. Laughing

e.g Look at the thread about eating pigeons.

muslim-man
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby muslim-man » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:31 pm

lol i think its more to do with how the bush administration fucked up that unfortunate country! News coming from there in the first year of occupation shocked people beyond what normal human mind could take!

in a nutshell, any shocking news one narates from that region, people have seen far worse.

musika man
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby musika man » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:59 pm

^^^^

paedophile italia, america this, america that, you all need to be treated from the american virus you all suffer from. the canadian firm GardaWorld is one of the biggest suppliers of private security in Iraq, what will you do about it? go and bomb their business head quarters in montreal.

http://www.thespywhobilledme.com/the_sp ... index.html

Mercenaries For Canadian Firm Captured In Baghdad

http://auto_sol.tao.ca/node/view/2663

imagine this, irak plays a soccer game in the asian cup and wins, it unites the irakis and an illiterate brainwashed suicide saudi bomber kills 50 irakis celebrating, the victims were females, children and young people celebrating the iraki win, did you care about them? did you post any comment?

Baghdad bombers target soccer celebrations, killing at least 50

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/meast/07/ ... index.html

'Martyrs' In Iraq Mostly Saudis

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 01270.html

why are the saudis turning irak into a cemetery killing everyone? if the saudi suicide bombers leave irak, it will be peaceful and the americans can go home. no, no, no, the saudis don't like a shiat irak run by iran. i can’t wait to see iran invading saudi arabia. soon i hope.

michael_ital
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby michael_ital » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:16 pm

khaniiskaa man

I didn't see an article about Canadian contractors, I saw one about American. Therefore I posted it. But I don't doubt Canucks are doing the same thing.

musika man
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby musika man » Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:18 pm

^^^

paedophile italia, do u mean u never thought the canadian mexicans were in irak as private contractors? now you know, what will you do about it? you all suffer from america syndrome. why are the saudis messing in irak killing civilian shiats all the time?

michael_ital
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby michael_ital » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:06 pm

^^

c'ockbreath

No, I never said that. I just said that I'd only read about Yank atrocities, not Canuck. But again, it don't surprise me. What am I gonna do about it ? Not a f'uckin thing.

Steeler [Crawler2]
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Steeler [Crawler2] » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:02 am

It is an interesting issue, private security contractors in a country in which there is almost no rule of law..............

On a related subject, however, I muit remind all of you here who so enthusiastically embraced the insurgency. Because insurgents hide amongst a local population, it is ALWAYS the supporting population group that suffers most. ALWAYS. This is a basic law of insurgency.

Padishah
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Padishah » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:15 am

The alternative to the (non-Wahhabi) Insurgency is the illegal, immoral American invasion of a country in full complaince with UN Resolutions.

michael_ital
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby michael_ital » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:37 am

[quote="MAD MAC"]

It is an interesting issue, private security contractors in a country in which there is almost no rule of law..............

[/quote]

Exactly, which is why I posted it, and why i'm even more surprised at the lack of activity in this thread.

gurey25
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby gurey25 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:07 am

[quote="Padishah"]The alternative to the (non-Wahhabi) Insurgency is the illegal, immoral American invasion of a country in full complaince with UN Resolutions.[/quote]

I suspect the wahabiites are instruments of non-muslim foriegn interests,
with an aim to weaken and demoralize any legitimate resistance to occupation.

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.