Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Interesting stuff about somalis

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
snozzberry

Re: Interesting stuff about somalis

Postby snozzberry » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:21 pm

[quote="Advocatar"]snozzbery what's your ethnicity? Confused[/quote]

Hi Advo.

Because of the one drop rule here in America along with the fact that I am NOT ashamed of my African heritage I consider myself black.

If I were to break my heritage down for you I am Seminole Indian, Scotch Irish and black.

I think its easier to just say black.

Col. Barre Hiiraale

Postby Col. Barre Hiiraale » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:23 pm

Another dumb topic. Random photos stolen from SomaliLife and a bunch of wild theories do NOT make a case, not for me anyway.

I've seen Somali maryooley who look as Bantu as Mr. Kalmooy and as White as Xassan Abshir, it still leaves many questions out.

So, unless someone is willing to pay millions of dollars to do real research instead of some bullshit theory thrown together by a Diana user---we should all take this as one man's observation, not the reality.

BTW, Oromo are the original Kushitic people of the Horn of Africa, and they come in WAY more forms than Somalis; I've seen Oromos who look Arab and Oromos who look Bantu, but they are inland people with little access to Arabs or Bantus on large scale, so how do you figure they look so differently?

Many questions, even questions that I, YOUR COLONEL AND COMMANDER, cannot answer.

FAH1223
webmaster

Postby FAH1223 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:24 pm

we're black

we aren't of the Negroid stock which is a lot of Africa, though

we're more closer to the semites of Ethiopia and Sudan

Kushiitics, but I thinks thats more with the linguistics, but yeah

King-of-Awdal
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby King-of-Awdal » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:26 pm

U guyz the ones claming ur semetic am sure u must know that semitic are decandants from the 12 Israeli Tribes, so HELL TO FUCK NO AM NOT ANY OF THAT SHIT. AM SOMALI PERIOD. Laughing

Advocatar
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Chilling In SANAAG, Makhiir State Of SOMALI, enjoying TUNA fish

Postby Advocatar » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:29 pm

Snoozeberry that's something that always puzzled me "the one drop blood' chit, does it work in any other race besides white?.

anyways, seminole arent really indians, they are runaway slaves who formed a community.

"What are Seminole-Negro Indian Scouts? Well, Seminoles were Indians that originally lived in Florida. But they later moved to Texas. And the word "Negro" is just another name for black or African-American people. The Seminole-Negro Indians scouted for the United States Army during the Indian wars of the late 1800s in Texas. The Negroes came into contact with the Seminoles during slavery when some Negro slaves escaped. They hid in the Florida swamps where the Seminoles lived. [Did you know that the word "Seminole" comes from the Spanish word Cimarron , which means runaway?] Even though the two peoples lived separate from each other and had their own chiefs, they became friends and lived happily together. There were some marriages between the two people."

The_Emperior5
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Suldaanka Guud beelaha reer Sheikh isxaaq Bani Axmed Bani Hashiim. In the republic of Soliziland

Postby The_Emperior5 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:33 pm

Ana sayidiina Khalid ibn cali ibn al husseini ibn hasiim

snozzberry

Postby snozzberry » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:35 pm

[quote="kadafi007"]

Are you sure people like Wesley snipes Will smith Oprah winfrey just to name a few look none other then Black.[/quote]

Yes and no.

Maybe and maybe not.

Heres the kicker. Wesley snipes is not really your typical looking African American. Ever notice how much his complexion and features were made fun by a lot of the African American community? He might find it easier to blend in with other Africans if he were to travel their but most would get a few curious glances.

I’ve never been to Africa myself so im basing this on what the family members and other black friends have told me. A lot of the people from my old church just look black to me but they told me when they traveled to Africa people called them some word that translated to “soft skin” or something like that. They were told they are “Colored” and that meant they were not black.

Somali2003
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Somali2003 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:38 pm

http://somalinet.com/phalbums/albums/us ... iShire.jpg

That is pure Sultan of Warsangeli from generation to generation. They all looked like him and his people. A British explorer who visited his Grandfather Mohamed, described his grandfather as a Patriarch of the Olden times.

Yes Somali -Darod are amazing race. The rest of Tribes including Paidmonk's nuclear family are straight from Jamame. Paidmonk always feels insecure when the looks of Somalia are spoken in great detail because he is cursed with the Bantu features. Laughing

Advocatar
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Chilling In SANAAG, Makhiir State Of SOMALI, enjoying TUNA fish

Postby Advocatar » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:39 pm

Laughing

kadafi007
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby kadafi007 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:44 pm

[quote="snozzberry"][quote="kadafi007"]

Are you sure people like Wesley snipes Will smith Oprah winfrey just to name a few look none other then Black.[/quote]

Yes and no.

Maybe and maybe not.

Heres the kicker. Wesley snipes is not really your typical looking African American. Ever notice how much his complexion and features were made fun by a lot of the African American community? He might find it easier to blend in with other Africans if he were to travel their but most would get a few curious glances.

I’ve never been to Africa myself so im basing this on what the family members and other black friends have told me. A lot of the people from my old church just look black to me but they told me when they traveled to Africa people called them some word that translated to “soft skin” or something like that. They were told they are “Colored” and that meant they were not black.[/quote]

Snozz berry I beg to differ Lightskin brownskin darkskin is under the category BLACK and Africa is very Diverse people come in all skin complexions perphas the people of your old church encountered darkskin Africans who where a bit jealous and ignorant I suppose.

Very Happy
Last edited by kadafi007 on Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snozzberry

Postby snozzberry » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:45 pm

[quote="Advocatar"]
"What are Seminole-Negro Indian Scouts? Well, Seminoles were Indians that originally lived in Florida. But they later moved to Texas. And the word "Negro" is just another name for black or African-American people. The Seminole-Negro Indians scouted for the United States Army during the Indian wars of the late 1800s in Texas. The Negroes came into contact with the Seminoles during slavery when some Negro slaves escaped. They hid in the Florida swamps where the Seminoles lived. [Did you know that the word "Seminole" comes from the Spanish word Cimarron , which means runaway?] Even though the two peoples lived separate from each other and had their own chiefs, they became friends and lived happily together. There were some marriages between the two people."[/quote]
That is true.

I am actually a descendent between the slaves and Indians that did intermarry. You can see it in most of my family members but the features are the strongest in my younger sister. Even though she has very dark skin she has long wavy black hair, dark tilted eyes, high cheek bones and a keen nose. Whenever we go back to our home state people always recognize her racial background immediately.

My looks are more of an enigma. People can never quite put their finger on it but they know I’m mixed with something.

Somali2003
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Somali2003 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:50 pm

[quote="Advocatar"]:lol:[/quote]

Paidmonk aka Colonel Bare Hiiraale. Laughing

Col. Barre Hiiraale

Postby Col. Barre Hiiraale » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:58 pm

Gigli2003,

Paidmonk is only a 4th generation Reer Jamaame, that isn't enough time to make love with the locals. But...

You sure as hell don't want me to post photos of the Oromo looking troops in the Dahar battle. Laughing

This is Ciise Maxamud

http://www.burtinle.com/aimdf15122001075028a.jpg

This is Warsangali

http://www.laasqoray.net/images/sawirad ... yn/4_1.jpg

Bantu to the Max.

snozzberry

Postby snozzberry » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:58 pm

[quote="kadafi007"]

Snozz berry I beg to differ Lightskin brownskin darkskin is under the category BLACK and Africa is very Diverse people come in all skin complexions perphas the people of your old church encountered darkskin Africans who where a bit jealous and ignorant I suppose.

Very Happy[/quote]

I’m inclined to agree with you there however I just did a little bit of browsing on Google and found out that Colored is considered a separate race category in some parts of Africa. It means people who are more than just black. I guess many African Americans would fall into that slot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Cape ... ildren.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coloured

P.S
Advo. In america most people that are mixed with white and something other than black are still considerd non white but only for a generation or so. It was only people who were part black that the one drop rule aplied to. This was done for economical reasons.

Aliyah99
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Aliyah99 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:05 pm

Over 80% of African American and Carribean men have a Y chromosone from Europe, because of the the slave trade thats why they look different to pure Africans in Africa. Wesley Snipes does look more African than most African-Americans, he is probably in the 20% with the African Y chromosone. Mixed people of all backgrounds do tend to look attractive in my opinion.

For the Somali origin am I the only one why believes the arab/local intermarriage is credible? Somalis are an Oral society and their history is passed down verbally, just because it is not written down does not make it a untrue or a myth. My theory is Arab intemarried with locals, these mixed offspring then intermarry among themselves mixed father and mixed mother = somali Smile

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.