Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why intelligent people are walking away from the discussion

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
Daanyeer
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Why intelligent people are walking away from the discussion

Postby Daanyeer » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:24 am

Source: .calacanis.com

love intelligent discussions.

I love to debate complex issues.

However, I hate politics because every time you try to have any kind of intelligent debate the folks from way out on the left and right immediately get personal and start calling each other idiots. The facts are lost, the screaming gets even more intense, and the smart people leave. That's why so many smart people have left the discussion--the screaming.

Imagine a dinner party for a dozen people. Imagine two of the guests are on the extreme ends of an issue and they start screaming across the table at each other in the middle of a group discussion. What would the other 10 do? Well, they might first try to find some common ground and tone down the volume a little bit, but if the screaming persists what do they do? They get up and go to the other room and have a civil discussion. That's the logical thing to do when people get in a screaming match: walk away.

That's what's happened online clearly. I don't know that people would debate like this in person, certainly they wouldn't be as hostile. As we all know the Internet takes a filter or three away from people, and the result is the online screaming match is 10x more intense then the dinner party one. People not only walk away from the online debate they think the people in it at idiots.

Yesterday I wrote a simple blog post about why the right hasn't embraced social news. I gave some logical thoughts on why they might not be embracing it. What happens 15 minutes later? The screamers show up and start calling each other crooks, liars, and idiots. Great job screamers: you just pushed the intelligent people away again.

I have a suggestion for the screamers: why don't you guys tone it down and try to bring some more people into the discussion? Why don't you consider both sides of the argument? Why don't you try and argue the other sides position for a bit? That's what intelligent people do: consider all sides of an issue.

The screaming is ruining the dinner party for the rest of us.

RIIGHAYE
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight
Location: When I recognize the special significance it has for African Americans and the special pride" McCain

Re: Why intelligent people are walking away from the discussion

Postby RIIGHAYE » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:02 am

lool, daanyeer, you are our hero. keep us updated

RIIGHAYE
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight
Location: When I recognize the special significance it has for African Americans and the special pride" McCain

Postby RIIGHAYE » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:07 am

"Imagine a dinner party for a dozen people. Imagine two of the guests are on the extreme ends of an issue and they start screaming across the table at each other in the middle of a group discussion. What would the other 10 do? Well, they might first try to find some common ground and tone down the volume a little bit, but if the screaming persists what do they do? They get up and go to the other room and have a civil discussion. That's the logical thing to do when people get in a screaming match: walk away. "

Classic

Leila2007
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Leila2007 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:22 am

So true !

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.