Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Somali history in maps, from the ancient world to the modern

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
Unclebin-
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: shibis, shangaani iyo shabellehoose= Shanshi Serenity

Re: Somali history in maps, from the ancient world to the modern

Postby Unclebin- » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:41 pm

There was no adal, ifat, jaberti in the horn during the 650's looool... There was just a bunch of nomadic somalis.... Somali qabiils are a creation of the last 700-800 years... Yemenis crossing the gulf of aden and settling is BS....

Your maps are wild dude.

Murax
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Murax » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:36 pm

Mareexaan from Bendar Qassim to Kismayo in that short amount of time? Unbelievable. We might be in capetown by 2345!

Anyway can anybody tell me where I can learn more about Gerri Kombe? They're everywhere in the history books mashallah. Where do they live today?
Last edited by Murax on Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zackabdul
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby zackabdul » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:38 pm

^ Somali Galbeed.. I've met some before and I can tell you they are uninfluenced by qabiil.

James Dahl
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby James Dahl » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:40 pm

Axum wasn't a centralized empire, but a mass of tributary kingdoms, each of which was ruled by a prince (Ras). The first mentions of a Prince of Zeila for instance are in the 600s.

Himyar is recorded to have started founding colonies in East Africa in around 500 B.C., and later writings discuss the location of Himyar's colonies as being opposite Aden and Muza, which corresponds to where I drew them on the map. Also, of the Yemeni kingdoms, Himyar was unique in that it was Jewish, as were the Ibro.

However that leaves the colonies on the tip of the Horn of Africa, as discussed in Periplus of the Erythrean Sea. The Periplus states that the tip colonies are not Azanian, but part of the "Berber coast".

That got me thinking. There are actually two groups of people called "Jaberti". One group is in Eritrea, the other is in Hadramaut.
Now Himyar and Saba both had port cities, and BOTH of them had colonies in the Horn. Hadramaut is just as old as Himyar and Saba, and just as large and powerful, and just as mercantile, AND had extensive links to the incense trade, all of which were factors in Saba and Himyar founding colonies in the horn.

Also, Darood leaders through history have had a connection with Hadhramaut. Kenadiid found enough support there to conquer Hobyo in the 1870s, and they have always strongly identified with the region.

Murax
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Murax » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:55 pm

Zackapul,

Did they used to rule over Harti? As it was they seemed to be one of the most powerful Darood tribes.

zackabdul
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby zackabdul » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:59 pm

Murax,

No clue saxib.. I'm not good with Somali history. Just recently a Geri Kombe Ugaas was elected in Kismayo or something and gedoweb.com were the ones reporting it.

Murax
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Murax » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:00 pm

Zack,

Where the hell did You ever meet a Gerri Kombe? Arn't You in Arizona dude? lol..

zackabdul
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby zackabdul » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:02 pm

Murax,

That is a very sensitive topic you're getting into. Lol

MJ-Pride
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: ^Removing the fake Cimaamad and shaving the fake beards of these thugs

Postby MJ-Pride » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:02 pm

[quote="zackabdul"]Murax,

No clue saxib.. I'm not good with Somali history. Just recently a Geri Kombe Ugaas was elected in Kismayo or something and gedoweb.com were the ones reporting it.[/quote]

Finding a Geri Kombo is easy I know a lot of them, but I am finding hard to find is Faceye Sade. Looked one of them and never found one single person in my life. Where are these people at?

zackabdul
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby zackabdul » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:04 pm

One of my good friends just got married to a Geri Kombe chick.. and sxb mashallah, she is beautiful. lol

MJ-Pride
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: ^Removing the fake Cimaamad and shaving the fake beards of these thugs

Postby MJ-Pride » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:06 pm

This is one of my friends and a Geri Koombe singer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81rSrEDnRUw

Murax
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Murax » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:07 pm

^^

Facaye-Sade are like the other Mareexaan clans like Reer Xassan (until recently), Reer Cisman and others that don't live in Somalia period but in Ogadenia/NFD. I wouldn't be suprised if the cuqdadlow Gudhad knows them as He knows Ogadenia clans pretty well. Ofcourse He'll probably say they claim Absame, lol...

One thing I notice about Darood clans is that they have good history and it seems each one got their time to shine. I read about the Warsangeli dynasty, then the Hobyo (Majerten), than Imam Guray (Mareexaan, Geri Kombe) Sayyid (Ogadeen) Daraawish (Dhulbahante), Lelkasse Dynasty, a lot of accomplishments!
Last edited by Murax on Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Enlightened~Sista
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Enlightened~Sista » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:18 pm

[quote="MJ-Pride"]This is one of my friends and a Geri Koombe singer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81rSrEDnRUw[/quote]

nice song...if only i could understand it all.

MJ-Pride
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby MJ-Pride » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:27 pm

[quote="Enlightened~Sista"][quote="MJ-Pride"]This is one of my friends and a Geri Koombe singer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81rSrEDnRUw[/quote]

nice song...if only i could understand it all.[/quote]

Its completely understandable unless you don't understand Somali?

Enlightened~Sista
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Enlightened~Sista » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:59 pm

lol let me listen to it again.

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.