Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Female Genital Mutilation

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
Aliyah99
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Re: Female Genital Mutilation

Postby Aliyah99 » Fri May 09, 2008 5:28 pm

Firefly wrote:
Gedo_Boy wrote:Firefly,

Limiting a woman's sexuality wasn't the only reason. There were at least 2 others:

1. The look of the vagina was considered unsightly. They must have thought a nip 'n tuck would make it look better.
2. Keeps the vagina firm, intact.

Those are at least 2 reasons they did it in ancient times and why they're doing it now.

The main reason for the practice was to curb female promiscuity. Your second point supports this. Why do they care about how it looks like? Such illogical thinking. Like you say, I don't doubt that there other reasons - but none of those reasons justify the physical/ psychological & emotional torture those women had to endure.

I agree totally!

How can the aesthetic procedures of the modern gaalo be compared with the atrocity that is FGM!!

The gaalo, without being too graphic are not interested in curbing female sexuality but only in enhancing it...

There is a fundamental difference!
Last edited by Aliyah99 on Fri May 09, 2008 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Enlightened~Sista
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Enlightened~Sista » Fri May 09, 2008 5:33 pm

The egyptians actually believe it enhances sexual pleasure..just like those western women.

Gedo_Boy
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Gedo_Boy » Fri May 09, 2008 5:38 pm

Firefly,

"Why do they care about how it looks like?"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
You haven't asked an old Somali women about what they think about uncircumcised girls' parts? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not just there, but that's why women are even doing it now. Read that link Qansa posted:

"some women believe that a protruding inner labia is aesthetically unappealing."

"The primary selling points for cosmetic female genital surgery seem to be enhanced sexual gratification and aesthetically pleasing results."

Enlightened~Sista,

Yes, you're right. That's a reason Egyptians did it....and why Westerners are starting it now:

"While these repairs are intended for medical purposes, they also may - or may not - result in a vagina that feels "tighter." While tighter may mean "better" sensation during intercourse, marketing for such surgeries often implies that, to be desirable, women should have youthful, pert, tight vaginas"

Firefly
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight
Location: Underneath the apple tree, at one with nature's beauty.

Postby Firefly » Fri May 09, 2008 5:49 pm

Gedo_Boy,

Said: "You haven't asked an old Somali women about what they think about uncircumcised girls' parts?"

No, I haven't asked. When I was younger I use to always hear kintir this kintir that - I did sense they had a strong dislike for it. :oops: I had no idea it was because of aesthetic reasons. :shock:

I agree, in the West it is mainly done for aesthetic reasons & restoration.

Gedo_Boy
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Gedo_Boy » Fri May 09, 2008 5:55 pm

Firefly,

They think it looks like Alien v Predator.

Enlightened~Sista
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Enlightened~Sista » Fri May 09, 2008 5:57 pm

firefly..lol i read this article a few days ago..one of the women who was interviewed said 'meeshu wainay dalaasho isda mirrayada' so the husband likes it ...or something like that

Firefly
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Firefly » Fri May 09, 2008 6:00 pm

Gedo_Boy wrote:Firefly,

They think it looks like Alien v Predator.

That's extreme. Bal maxaa tuuse?

This is really disturbing.

Gedo_Boy
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Gedo_Boy » Fri May 09, 2008 6:06 pm

I'm exaggerating, but they tend to think that "It's not a good look!"

Enlightened~Sista
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Enlightened~Sista » Fri May 09, 2008 6:07 pm

Alien vs Predator loooool wallahi u got some imagination :lol: :lol: :lol:

snowflakes821
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby snowflakes821 » Fri May 09, 2008 6:08 pm

My grandfather who is in his 70s thinks female gential mutilation is disgusting, cruel and barbaric. So there goes your theory on what the old generation thinks. :roll:

Cisse Westlake
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Cisse Westlake » Fri May 09, 2008 6:18 pm

laila2008 wrote:not everyone in here is against it, specially not ciise who admitted it and his gaylord supporter muktaar are for FGM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: muktaar was a supporter but i think he changed his views.

my view: no comment

and btw i thought u joined recently how would you know my view on it, if you arent the alcoholic nafisa bush :lol: :down:

Xamud.

Postby Xamud. » Fri May 09, 2008 6:21 pm

snowflakes821 wrote:I'm an ethnic Somali and I say it is not common. It is exaggerated by the United Nations who inflate numbers to make their point that AFrica is barabaric. Get your head out of your ass, you colonoized Uncle Tom. :roll:

I beg too differ. its widely common in somalia too pratice FGM, I went there 3 months ago. The feedback suprised me wallahi!People in Gaalkacyo are far from Uneducated or Reer Baadiyo yet they seem too pratice it like it aint no thing, even though they told me that they dont pratice the "firqoni" one. Theres a Ladie called "Xawo Kastuumo" In Gaalkacyo, who campaign against FGM! she use too live in the states. People hate her, and they think that shes trying too westernize them. They say" if it was up Xawo, all the girls would walk around with nothing on but their underwear" hence the nick name "Xawo Kastumo".

garowegal
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby garowegal » Fri May 09, 2008 6:22 pm

snowflakes821 wrote:People in Kurdistan didn't want the media to know their secrets. Unlike AFricans, who are open about their issues. Arabs cover up their bad habits. :roll:

exucuse me :roll: if it takes international shame to bring a country to its senses then so be it. why should it be shameful? FGM is a horrendus and barbaric practice the more people speak up against the better.

Firefly
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Firefly » Fri May 09, 2008 6:27 pm

Gedo_Boy wrote:I'm exaggerating, but they tend to think that "It's not a good look!"

Okay. I honestly don't understand the obsession with the appearance of it. They should just alter theirs if they don't like the look of it and leave the poor girls alone.

Gedo_Boy
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Gedo_Boy » Fri May 09, 2008 7:01 pm

Firefly,

It's all peer pressure & many times perpetuated by females.....just like now in the West w/ neo-fgm.....I know a lady whose mother was against it but fellow girls were making fun of her for not having it done & she forced her mom.....who couldn't even look but watch from a distance.

Another father was against it but the women of the family pushed it......

most women hurt each other b/c of the peer pressure.

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.