Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

African American or Somalian American

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
Ka darag
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: He's not invisible anymore, with his father's nine and a broken fuse.

Re: African American or Somalian American

Postby Ka darag » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:28 pm

Cisse Westlake wrote:
Ka darag wrote:Dude Cisse...what is there to argue about??Somalis are African end of.... :| ..seriously some people have issues...

i am somali

Somalia is in Africa...have u never looked at a map?Cajiib.. :shock: :|

Cisse Westlake
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Cisse Westlake » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:30 pm

ka darag

africa means nothing to me. so fock being african 8)

QansaGabeyle
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby QansaGabeyle » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:36 pm

nalia, you lost that argument to FAh but u never stopped. wallahi u need to learn to stop arguing when you are proved wrong. :lol:

ms.nalia
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight
Location: I have no laction, Im a free agent of the Universe..

Postby ms.nalia » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:17 pm

QansaGabeyle wrote:nalia, you lost that argument to FAh but u never stopped. wallahi u need to learn to stop arguing when you are proved wrong. :lol:

lol....just because he got all meladramatic and started talkn about his grandparents small arse village doesnt mean he won anything.
If anything, I wont that argument. And if he wants to keep going......Ill get energizer bunny on his ass.
I'd like to see where he proved me wrong.
African Americans dont know their ancestors and he does? so what?
How does that make him not african ameircan?

Cisse:

umm... :up:

sure ur not afircan. Somalia is a contenent on its own!
:roll:

FAH1223
webmaster

Postby FAH1223 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:20 pm

ms.nalia wrote:
QansaGabeyle wrote:nalia, you lost that argument to FAh but u never stopped. wallahi u need to learn to stop arguing when you are proved wrong. :lol:

lol....just because he got all meladramatic and started talkn about his grandparents small arse village doesnt mean he won anything.
If anything, I wont that argument. And if he wants to keep going......Ill get energizer bunny on his ass.
I'd like to see where he proved me wrong.
African Americans dont know their ancestors and he does? so what?
How does that make him not african ameircan?

:

its not being melodramatic

im being factual and there aint nothin like knowin your roots :up:

we are literally african american, however we know which african we are

so there is not much use to the word and the term has been coined by the africans who were brought here and dont know where they are from

i dunno why you don't get it, we may all hav come from africa, but i dont see why we would use a geo-political term instead of cultural/ethnic identifier

Twisted_Logic
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Speaking up against Somalinet's tolerance for Al Qaida Loyalists

Postby Twisted_Logic » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:22 pm

I am a Somali-American. What the F.uck is African-American? :down:

Grant
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Grant » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:30 pm

Do you talk about European-Americans or do you talk about Anglo-Americans, German-Americans, Italian-Americans etc.?

If you are an American citizen, I would call you a Somali-American.

FAH1223
webmaster

Postby FAH1223 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:31 pm

ms.nalia wrote:

FAH
1) I didnt call you a b!tch. I called your speech a b!tch.
2) If I wanted to insult you, I would have said worse things
3) You just proved my point that you call everyone of the same race a certain name. "Euro" "indhiyar" "carab".
4) So what if they dont know their forefathers? Do you think its a such a great thing that you knwo so much about "qabil" it destryoned your freakn country dude. Come correct.

You didn't have to insult my speech dude, you could have just disagreed without calling it a b1tch. C'mon, you're an older lady, you got more class than that

Euro has Spaniards, Talyani, Ingress, ect

Indhayar has Filipinos, Indonesian, Malay, Chinese

Carab got different sets of people due to their location too

so the labels we say, like african or asian or euro have different peoples underneath those big categories

i don't know much about qabil myself, but there is nothing wrong with having a sense of identity and knowing your roots, this doesn't have anything to do with superiority or anything like that, im just saying how it is (I respect african americans who go and do those DNA tests and find more about their people)

im probably the biggest anti-qabilist here, but qabil has to be used in the way it is in our religion...not to use it to put others down and kill each other based on it

Grant :up:

Twisted_Logic
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Twisted_Logic » Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:34 pm

ms.nalia wrote:

wtf?

Is Somalia not in Africa?

I find it funny when Somali people think they are a race of their own....

fok..y'll are african.

So what difference does it make if Somalia is located in Africa? Ethnicity has less to do with geographical location and more on cultural and traditional values. i don't see Chinese and Indian immigrants calling themselves Asian-Americans. They call themselves Chinese-American or Indian-American. Somalia has a unique historical and cultural background and is geographically separated from the rest of Africa by either the Ogaden Desert in the West or the Kenyan Buffer-zone. To me Africa starts from Ethiopia in the West and Kenya to the South. I have ZERO cultural and historical connection with some-one from Kenya or Ethiopia. It would be ludicrous of me to call myself African-American when the term Somali-American describes my unique heritage and cultural back-ground more accurately. To call myself African-American misses the point in entirely. It assumes that I have a cultural and traditional similarity with some-one from Nigeria or South-Africa. I don't :somalia:

QansaGabeyle
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby QansaGabeyle » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:22 pm

Twisted_Logic wrote:
ms.nalia wrote:

wtf?

Is Somalia not in Africa?

I find it funny when Somali people think they are a race of their own....

fok..y'll are african.

So what difference does it make if Somalia is located in Africa? Ethnicity has less to do with geographical location and more on cultural and traditional values. i don't see Chinese and Indian immigrants calling themselves Asian-Americans. They call themselves Chinese-American or Indian-American. Somalia has a unique historical and cultural background and is geographically separated from the rest of Africa by either the Ogaden Desert in the West or the Kenyan Buffer-zone. To me Africa starts from Ethiopia in the West and Kenya to the South. I have ZERO cultural and historical connection with some-one from Kenya or Ethiopia. It would be ludicrous of me to call myself African-American when the term Somali-American describes my unique heritage and cultural back-ground more accurately. To call myself African-American misses the point in entirely. It assumes that I have a cultural and traditional similarity with some-one from Nigeria or South-Africa. I don't :somalia:

well said. this is what FAh was trying to say and knuckle head nalia could not comprehend.

dawwa9
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby dawwa9 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:25 pm

Twisted_Logic wrote:I have ZERO cultural and historical connection with some-one from Kenya or Ethiopia.

Somalia and Ethiopia are almost the same people

The difference is like Sweden and Norway, Oman and Yemen Or Japan and South Korea

QansaGabeyle
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby QansaGabeyle » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:26 pm

dawwa9 wrote:
Twisted_Logic wrote:I have ZERO cultural and historical connection with some-one from Kenya or Ethiopia.

No they are not. Are you kidding me.

Twisted_Logic
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Twisted_Logic » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:26 pm

dawwa9 wrote:

That's what the pro-Ethiopian lobby in Somalia wants us to believe. We will pass the buck :somalia:

dawwa9
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby dawwa9 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:29 pm

A Xabashi and a Oromo are basically Somalis but from highlands :up:

Twisted_Logic
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Twisted_Logic » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:33 pm

dawwa9 wrote:A Xabashi and a Oromo are basically Somalis but from highlands :up:

A Xabashi and Oromo are actually genetically quite different. One is a Semite and the other a Kushite. :lol:

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.