Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

African American or Somalian American

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
S-D-M
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Re: African American or Somalian American

Postby S-D-M » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:33 am

I'm Sade American

siren
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby siren » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:33 am

Somali with Canadian Passport? :|

LuvelyNaiima

Postby LuvelyNaiima » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:36 am

Muslim-Somali-American. :|

ms.nalia
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight
Location: I have no laction, Im a free agent of the Universe..

Postby ms.nalia » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:46 am

FAH1223 wrote:
ms.nalia wrote:

Do you honestly think that someone is gonna take time to think "no wait, hes' not an african american....it doesnt connotate that his forefathers were once slaves"
You look black- hence you are of african descent; which in my books means your an african american.

If you insist on creating a whole new race for yourself and your/our people...go ahead..but dont use "slavery" as justification.

And FYI
Those people did not chose to be slaves and for you to use that degrade them makes you look insecure and weak.

Dude, that was not the intention, its the hard facts.

African Americans look different, have a different culture and they are mostly gaalo, I don't have anything in common with them except my brown skin.

If you really think just in terms of "oh you're black" then you have no idea what you are talking about

I am of African descent, but I know where I come from and I know my roots giving myself a sense of identity the African American people do not have (which was taken from them)

Skin color doesn't constitute what an ethnicity is. African Americans even where rejecting Obama because he is not one of them, he came from a radically different lineage and he knows where his roots in Kenya lay.

We may be "black" but that doesn't mean we are the same, you can't just brush all Africans and those in the diaspora with one brush, and I really hate how Pan-Africanists try to do that.

This isn't about self esteem or superiority. Why would I feel superior when my country is the only one on Earth that doesn't even have a government, doesn't even have a justice system or even a peace? And the African American people live in one of the, if not the, richest and most powerful country on Earth?

This is all about identity and diversity, which faces us all.

:roll: oh save your b!tch speech kiddo. I am & I will paint the whole african diaspora with the same brush just as you would with Asian, Arabs, Europeans alike.

Let me point out your hyporcray here:

"Why would I feel superior..."

"I know my roots giving myself a sense of identity the African American people do not have "

Seriously, for someone who doesnt feel superior; you sure act like one.

S-D-M
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Postby S-D-M » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:50 am

ms.nalia wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:
ms.nalia wrote:

Do you honestly think that someone is gonna take time to think "no wait, hes' not an african american....it doesnt connotate that his forefathers were once slaves"
You look black- hence you are of african descent; which in my books means your an african american.

If you insist on creating a whole new race for yourself and your/our people...go ahead..but dont use "slavery" as justification.

And FYI
Those people did not chose to be slaves and for you to use that degrade them makes you look insecure and weak.

Dude, that was not the intention, its the hard facts.

African Americans look different, have a different culture and they are mostly gaalo, I don't have anything in common with them except my brown skin.

If you really think just in terms of "oh you're black" then you have no idea what you are talking about

I am of African descent, but I know where I come from and I know my roots giving myself a sense of identity the African American people do not have (which was taken from them)

Skin color doesn't constitute what an ethnicity is. African Americans even where rejecting Obama because he is not one of them, he came from a radically different lineage and he knows where his roots in Kenya lay.

We may be "black" but that doesn't mean we are the same, you can't just brush all Africans and those in the diaspora with one brush, and I really hate how Pan-Africanists try to do that.

This isn't about self esteem or superiority. Why would I feel superior when my country is the only one on Earth that doesn't even have a government, doesn't even have a justice system or even a peace? And the African American people live in one of the, if not the, richest and most powerful country on Earth?

This is all about identity and diversity, which faces us all.

:roll: oh save your b!tch speech kiddo. I am & I will paint the whole african diaspora with the same brush just as you would with Asian, Arabs, Europeans alike.

"I know my roots giving myself a sense of identity the African American people do not have "

Adiga baryahan cay baad baratay. Also the kid is right. We are Somali American, cuase we know where we came from. We don't have to take DNA to figure out where we from. We all know the tuulo our parents rep for.....

FAH1223
webmaster

Postby FAH1223 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:53 am

ms.nalia wrote:

Whats your problem? It isn't hypocrisy, its just fact. If you don't like it, then don't read the factual things I am saying. You are reading it as you see fit and you think I am exhibiting superiority when I am not. I am just telling it like it is. I know the tuulo where my father and my ancestors were born in. A black man in America does not know where his forefather's roamed in West Africa, thats a fact. And the reason is because of the slave trade of the colonial powers and even fellow West Africans participating in it also.

If all you can do is insult me and call me a b1tch, then fix yourself up first. I haven't insulted you at all.

And no I don't paint Asians and Euros and Arabs with the same brush. They have different dialects, cultures and ethnicities just as the Africans the diaspora do.

Sure Euros may all be "White" but you still can't paint them as all the same. Same with indhayar, same with Carabs having different dialects or being mixed with the old Mediterranean people.

SummerRain
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby SummerRain » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:26 pm

I consider myself a Habar-Gidir American. :up:

Aliyah99
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Aliyah99 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:11 pm

Somalilander- British :up: :)

Cisse Westlake
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Cisse Westlake » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:03 pm

ms.nalia wrote:

wtf?

Is Somalia not in Africa?

I find it funny when Somali people think they are a race of their own....

fok..y'll are african.

you gonna force us to be ones?

Ka darag
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: He's not invisible anymore, with his father's nine and a broken fuse.

Postby Ka darag » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:05 pm

Aliyah99 wrote:Somalilander- British :up: :)

:up:

ms.nalia
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight
Location: I have no laction, Im a free agent of the Universe..

Postby ms.nalia » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:13 pm

FAH
1) I didnt call you a b!tch. I called your speech a b!tch.
2) If I wanted to insult you, I would have said worse things
3) You just proved my point that you call everyone of the same race a certain name. "Euro" "indhiyar" "carab".
4) So what if they dont know their forefathers? Do you think its a such a great thing that you knwo so much about "qabil" it destryoned your freakn country dude. Come correct.

Cisse:
What?

Cisse Westlake
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Cisse Westlake » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:16 pm

ms nalia

you trying to force somalis to be african americans?

and fah is right african americans are rootless people that do not know where they from.
somalis know where they from. only wannabes want to be classafied as african americans :down:

Ka darag
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: He's not invisible anymore, with his father's nine and a broken fuse.

Postby Ka darag » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:18 pm

Dude Cisse...what is there to argue about??Somalis are African end of.... :| ..seriously some people have issues...

RebelLion
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby RebelLion » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:19 pm

Put down African american, and you'll get all the benefits and opportunities they do.

Cisse Westlake
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Cisse Westlake » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:26 pm

Ka darag wrote:Dude Cisse...what is there to argue about??Somalis are African end of.... :| ..seriously some people have issues...

i am somali

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.