Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Somali Influence on Canadian Society

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
Gedo_Boy
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Somali Influence on Canadian Society

Postby Gedo_Boy » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:21 am

Just a question guys, esp. those in CA.
What is the influence of Somali immigrants in CA? net + or net minus?
Are they one of those ethnicities people just know on a first name basis like Mexicans in America?
What are the stereotypes of Somalis that non-Somalis have. I mean non-Somalis, not the Somali stereotypes of Somalis.

Our resident white Canadians James Dahl & Amina please feel free to contribute.

zulaika
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Re: Somali Influence on Canadian Society

Postby zulaika » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:37 am

like other somalis elsewhere, we got the same proverbial negativity:

- welfare
- single-mothers raising 5+ kids
- fathers who spend more time at the local Tim Hortan's than they do with their own kids
- loud and obnoxious kids with A.D.D.

and like other somalis elsewhere, we got positive elements we bring to our Canadian Society:

-contrary to popular belief, some of us actually work, pay taxes and contribute to society
-more and more of our youth are attending universities.
-we have a beautiful and vibrant culture that wows others when we put it on display
-we are very confident and true to our faith.

James Dahl
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby James Dahl » Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:37 pm

All the Somalis I've met in Canada (and that's not very many) are all fine, polite people. North Americans are no strangers to broken families, and unlike the USA Canadians don't have the severe xenophobia associated with "Foreigners destroying the American way of life" or whatever turn of phrase they use these days.

The only characteristic "Somali" trait I think Canadians find slightly unsettling is the Somali tendency to talk very loudly, as Canadians are generally a soft spoken people.
Then again, Canadians have the same problem with most cultures, even French people talk too loudly by our standards.

Canadians love Africans, because they tend to be more friendly and warm than Canadians, who are by and large a wooden and unfriendly people.
I wonder if climate affects people's disposition?

In terms of Somali people being a known group, probably only in Ottawa. Most Canadians probably couldn't find Somalia on a map.

HaileyBailey
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby HaileyBailey » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:09 pm

zulaika single-mothers raising 5+ kids are making $5000 a month, with the welfare, the baby bonus and all the other diet money they get and that's without tax and most of them are not even single, the husband works and also brings in $$.

zulaika
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby zulaika » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:55 pm

zulaika single-mothers raising 5+ kids are making $5000 a month, with the welfare, the baby bonus and all the other diet money they get and that's without tax and most of them are not even single, the husband works and also brings in $$.
don't forget the $600/child/month the Ontario Gov.(provincial) recently introduced as part of their budget to help out low income families(mostly on welfare)

$600/child x 5/month = $3000/month

and then there's the Federal child tax which is up to $300/child/month

$300/child x 5/month = 1500/month

and that's on top of the caydha and money brought in by the cab driver father

Canadian xalimo single-mothers = pirates hard at work in the great white north. :lol: :lol:

ok just jokes. :D

Lexmark
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby Lexmark » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:27 pm

this is why i laugh when silly little girls complain about "broken homes" :lol: :lol:

its called welfare fraud

HaileyBailey
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby HaileyBailey » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:45 pm

[quote="zulaika"][quote="HaileyBailey"]zulaika single-mothers raising 5+ kids are making $5000 a month, with the welfare, the baby bonus and all the other diet money they get and that's without tax and most of them are not even single, the husband works and also brings in $$.[/quote]

don't forget the $600/child/month the Ontario Gov.(provincial) recently introduced as part of their budget to help out low income families(mostly on welfare)

Canadian xalimo single-mothers = pirates hard at work in the great white north. :lol: :lol:

ok just jokes. :D[/quote]

walahi this makes me mad. I work full time and I get 4000 a month after taxes and I know that most of my money is going to these lazy bchs. On top of it they don't pay for the daycare. I know this one lady in my building I see her every morning taking her kids to daycare and school and then she tells me that she can't wait to go back home and sleep, that she is tired, fck.

Warsan_Star_Muslimah
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Warsan_Star_Muslimah » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:52 pm

All the Somalis I've met in Canada (and that's not very many) are all fine, polite people. North Americans are no strangers to broken families, and unlike the USA Canadians don't have the severe xenophobia associated with "Foreigners destroying the American way of life" or whatever turn of phrase they use these days.

The only characteristic "Somali" trait I think Canadians find slightly unsettling is the Somali tendency to talk very loudly, as Canadians are generally a soft spoken people.
Then again, Canadians have the same problem with most cultures, even French people talk too loudly by our standards.

Canadians love Africans, because they tend to be more friendly and warm than Canadians, who are by and large a wooden and unfriendly people.
I wonder if climate affects people's disposition?

In terms of Somali people being a known group, probably only in Ottawa. Most Canadians probably couldn't find Somalia on a map.
:lol: :lol:

Man they are so English, matter fact they have large English descendants. The English hate loudness, they are wooden and unfriendly too :lol:

Lexmark
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby Lexmark » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:17 pm

ok just jokes. :D
walahi this makes me mad. I work full time and I get 4000 a month after taxes and I know that most of my money is going to these lazy bchs. On top of it they don't pay for the daycare. I know this one lady in my building I see her every morning taking her kids to daycare and school and then she tells me that she can't wait to go back home and sleep, that she is tired, fck.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.