Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Eritrean History + Eritrean Traditional Fashion PICTURES

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
Voltage
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Sheikh Voltage ibn Guleid-Shire al-Garbaharawi, Oil Baron

Re: Eritrean History + Eritrean Traditional Fashion PICTURES

Postby Voltage » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:31 pm

Voltage, I'll tell you right now as a Muslim, I'll defend my Christian Eritrean brother with my sword just as fast as I would for a Muslim believer.

Well that's good cuz we are supposed to defend all people from injustice but how come I read somewhere that Afeworki and his guys backstabbed the Muslim, largely Tigre component of the former resisitance who incidentally were the reason Somalia and the Arab world gave the Eritrean people such broad support?

The_Patriot
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby The_Patriot » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:32 pm

warya?..anyway..Tigray and tigrinya are the same people..tigray live in Ethiopia tigray region and trigryinya live in Eritrea..they make the majority of Eritrea..who's talking about tigre? there also habasha by the way related to both amahra and tigrinya..Lets not get mixed up..both people across the two borders claim habasha and the same origin its all politics that's having them fight.
Listen Ask Belew and he will give you a crush coarse :up:
there is more to what you beleive infact Eritrea were occupied and they fought for their country.
Do you know ther currency is Nakfa do you know what Nakfa is ? its the mountain ranges that Eritreans took cover while they were bomabded by Russian and Ethiopian defences from the sky as well as from the Ground in the End they burried almsot the Entire Ethiopian army before they captured Addis :up:

King-of-Awdal
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby King-of-Awdal » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:34 pm

Patriot

The Tigraye from ethiopia and the ones from Eriteria are the same people. Its basically like two clans in somalia who fought and seperated. Tigre are 100% Muslim while most Beja are also Muslim. Afwerkki and Melez are both cousins. :lol:

Voltage

Tigre are the crazy people in eriteria, No one i mean can dare mess with them. They are the sole reason that land was freed. :lol:

Xamari_76
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Xamari_76 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:36 pm

Buddy.. i know a lot about eritrea actually 3 of my friends are eritrean..as yes i know there currency name is nafaka but no i didn't know it was named after some mountains.

Belew

Postby Belew » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:37 pm

King of Awdal, you don't know what you're talking about my friend. There is no clan differences. The Tigrinya are a distinct ethnic group who don't view the Tigrays as the same as them. The Tigrinya come the kingdom of Medri-Bahri, while Tigray come from a different kingdom.

Somali Fashion

and of course

Somali Fashion :up:

Masha allah - outstanding pictures.

My father visited Mogadishu as a soldier in the 70s and all he speaks is of good things towards the somalis.

Voltage
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Voltage » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:37 pm

I like the Tigre, we should bring them to Somalia to join their Jaberti brother. :P

Voltage
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Voltage » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:39 pm

Belew why do you guys call the Tigrinya of Ethiopia as "agame". My eritrean told me it is equivalent to the Somali word "midgaan". :lol:

Xamari_76
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Xamari_76 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:39 pm

Ethiopia was mistreating tigrinyian peoples for years..and the tigrinya language was banned in addis ababa..these people have been through alot..but the thing that makes me laugh is..this war was totaly a tigrinya thing..tigrinya tribe supported it 100% for liberation but when you think land mass there land is very small compered to the rest of the peoples of eritrea..did this tribe just declare Independence and liberated the formerly Italian colonial borders?..isn't that what the issak and gudbaoursi clans are doing in somaliland..

Belew

Postby Belew » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:42 pm

Belew why do you guys call the Tigrinya of Ethiopia as "agame". My eritrean told me it is equivalent to the Somali word "midgaan". :lol:

Here's why....lol @ midgaan...

A number of factors came into play in this complex relationshiop that can broadly be called cultural. One could be described as a question of perception.The EPLF had given training and soccour to the TPLF in its early stages and tended to treat the movement as its younger brother.
Ordinary Tigrians not involved in politics of the Front also felt patronised by Eritreans. They had for many years taken low paid, low status jobs in Eritrea as casual labrourers and domestic servants. Tigrians were denigrated as Agames-a term that implied that they were all uncouth peasants. Most of the Tigrians were working in Eritrea were hired as labrouers. Some got work slaughtering farm animals, while others took up jobs such as woodcutters, potters and shepherds. Women were hired as waitresses, housemaids and washer-women. Many prostitutes in Asmara were Tigrians.
Eritreans on the other hand used their skills and capital to buy into or build up business in Ethiopia. Class, privileges, snobbery and envy were unspoken elements that ate away at the relationship fronts"

http://www.ascleiden.nl/pdf/paper1108459195.pdf <=== that quote is found on page 22

after Eritrea was forcibly annexed by Ethiopia's Haile Selassie in 1962, poor Tigrayans flooded into Asmara in search of work as janitors, cleaners and labourers.

If a job was dirty and demeaning in Eritrea, it was probably done by the "Agame", as the Tigrayans were dismissively known.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4527844.stm

Voltage
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Voltage » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:44 pm

"We Eritreans think with our hearts, but the Tigrayans are very wily, very complicated. Just like the road," any local driver is happy to explain.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Voltage
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Voltage » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:48 pm

But Belew, if the Tigrayans speak Tigrinya and the largest spoken language in Eritrea is Tigrinya, isn't nationalism (or the idea of belong to the ethiopian state or eritrean state) worthless?

I mean there is nothing different between the Somali in Ogaden or the one in Somalia or the one in Kenya. They never consider themselves as Kenyans or Ethiopians but as Somalis to whom nationalism is not even an issue.

What is the difference between a Tigrayan from Ethiopia who settles in Asmara and speaks the TIgrinya language like the majority population of Eritrea?

It's really hard for a Somali to understand this because we have a very definite understanding of belonging to a ONE Somali nation regardless of the boundary we are within.

Belew

Postby Belew » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:59 pm

But Belew, if the Tigrayans speak Tigrinya and the largest spoken language in Eritrea is Tigrinya, isn't nationalism (or the idea of belong to the ethiopian state or eritrean state) worthless?

I mean there is nothing different between the Somali in Ogaden or the one in Somalia or the one in Kenya. They never consider themselves as Kenyans or Ethiopians but as Somalis to whom nationalism is not even an issue.

What is the difference between a Tigrayan from Ethiopia who settles in Asmara and speaks the TIgrinya language like the majority population of Eritrea?

It's really hard for a Somali to understand this because we have a very definite understanding of belonging to a ONE Somali nation regardless of the boundary we are within.
I will break this down for you. I am not a Tigrinya but in Eritrea, there is a 40 year rule. Meaning, if at least one of your parents is not Eritrean or you have not lived in Eritrea for 40 years, you can not be a citizen. Every Eritrean can trace his forefathers by heart. I can go 12 generations back.

Till I have more time to break it down for you, you will have to watch these two videos..

If you think Tigre, Tigriny and Tigray is confusing, get this....Tigrinya means LANGUAGE OF THE TIGRE people, not Tigray people....The Tigrayans were agaws who adopted the Tigrinya language from the Tigrinya Belew Eritreans. The Dalect is different too, it's like American English VS UK english from liverpool.

I'll break this down clearly when I come back on here later...

In the mean time, I really hope you watch this to get an understanding of why they don't view Tigray agaws as them.

Tigrinya come from Medri-Bahri, a democratic Kingdom that means "land of the Sea". Their king was voted to power and called the Bahri-Negassi "sea king". the Tigrinya are Sea people and have been at war with tigray for at least 1,000 Years.

Watch European travelers tell you Tigrinya are different from Tigray, as far back as the 12th century AD. Watch both of them completely to get a somewhat idea, so when I return and give you terms, you want be confused as much, cuz it gets confusing.

Voltage
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Voltage » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:03 pm

Very interesting. You are shedding some light on this. So the Ethiopian Tigrays adopted Tigrinya from the most coastal groups? Just the Amhara are Oromo, Agaw who combined Geez dialect with their languages?

Interesting

Belew

Postby Belew » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:18 pm

Very interesting. You are shedding some light on this. So the Ethiopian Tigrays adopted Tigrinya from the most coastal groups? Just the Amhara are Oromo, Agaw who combined Geez dialect with their languages?

Interesting

The word "TIGRE" is purely of Eritrean in origin. The oldest reference to TIGRE comes from the Tigretes during the 5th century AD, the forefathers of Tigre people. The name TIGray, has TIGR in it, this is clear adoption of Eritrean Tigre name. Both Tigrinya and Tigre were probably the same ethnic group at one point. This is why TIgrinya means language of the TIGRE people. Tigray people were no doubt Agaws, who adopted cultures of the far north. There was no such thing as TIGRAY in the 5th century AD, when you look at the historical refferences, you only see one group called the TIGRETES and they lived in Adulis, while what is now TIGRAy, were called, "Agame" and "aduwa". The area where the Tigrinya of Eritrea come from was called the "Ga'ze" people, which is where the name "Ge'ez" was named after.

I'll break this down later, peace for now.

oldenglish
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby oldenglish » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:19 pm

The beja are from Sanaag :up:

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.