Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Somali President Sheikh Sharif Sheikh Ahmed - TIME Interview

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
AhlulbaytSoldier
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Somali President Sheikh Sharif Sheikh Ahmed - TIME Interview

Postby AhlulbaytSoldier » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:35 pm

By Abdiaziz Hassan Thursday, Jun. 11, 2009

Amir al mumineen, President Sh.Sharif

Somali President Sheikh Sharif Sheikh Ahmed has described his job as the most difficult in the world, and he may be right. Now in its 19th year of civil war and without a government worthy of the name, Somalia is the world's most failed state, shattered by war and a safe haven for both al Qaeda and pirates. Sharif, a strict Islamist who nevertheless believes in dialogue with the West and who came to power in January, rules little more than a few blocks in Mogadishu and recently even that has been threatened by a ferocious attack by his former allies in Somalia's Islamist movement. He spoke to TIME about his government, life in Somalia and the issue of piracy.

Is your government going to survive? How? How do you achieve peace and stability in the world's most lawless country?
I am confident the government will survive. Fighting in Mogadishu does not mean the government is feeble enough to be toppled. The Somali people and their government are facing the challenges seriously to stop the fighting. My hope is that wars in Somalia eventually become something for the history books. Of course, when you have to start everything from zero and the nation has to be completely reconstructed, there are incredible obstacles and a rough road ahead.

What kind of assistance do you need? Peacekeeping? Humanitarian? Military? Or is any assistance foreign interference?
There is nothing left in Somalia. It is ruined. Wars continue. The situation in which we find ourselves [as a government] is ... abnormal. We need all kinds of assistance from the world in building up our national security forces, reconstructing destroyed cities and returning displaced people. We need assistance to re-establish sources of income and to create jobs for the people so that they can live without having to break the law. [We also need to] restore collapsed social services, education and health.
We have some troops [a 4,900-strong African Union peacekeeping force] here, and reinforcing this mission may be necessary. It seems those opposing us want Somalia to be in this turmoil indefinitely. They are not interested in talks to end this war.

What does your government offer for the world and Somalia? Peace and development?
Absolutely, we offer peace to the world. My dream is to see peaceful, prosperous Somalia where everyone can get his rights, freedom and livelihood without harming others.

What does radical opposition Islamist leader Sheikh Hassan Dahir Aweys offer Somalia, and the world?
Sheikh Hassan and I once worked together, guided by principle, and I believe I am still on the same road. What he believed to be impossible became possible. Sheikh Hassan believed Ethiopia [which invaded in 2006 to topple a previous Islamist government that included Sharif and Aweys] would not withdraw and change was not feasible. [But] Ethiopia pulled its troops out of Somalia in 2008 and change came. He had a role to play and could have helped us to reinstate out nationhood. He has a duty to make Somalia peaceful.

Sheikh Hassan objects strongly to your relations with the U.S., as does al Qaeda.
It is vital for the government to have a relationship with the U.S. We do not live on an isolated island. We need to be assisted to rebuild country and recover from civil war. Any assistance to Somalia, any relations that serving the interest of the people, is not shameful. It is progress.

Can you end piracy?
The pirates who hunt down ships are based on land. That's the reality. We can play our part by organizing locals to reject piracy on land. We have also started restructuring Somalia's navy. I have appointed an experienced General to be the commander of the navy.

Can your government act as a bridge between Islamists and the West?
Without leaving our Islamic principles, we can have relations with the West. I believe my government can succeed in reducing the gap.

Why is Somalia seemingly so important to Osama bin Laden? Why is it so attractive to foreign Islamist fighters?
The reason foreign fighters pour into our country is that there is lack of governance and there are Somalis who work tirelessly for Somalia to be stuck in chaos forever who welcome these people. Somalis have to understand the consequences that these foreigners have. Everyone can contribute to peace and development. But, it is obvious that our friends have been misled by outsiders

What is the price of failure in Somalia?
A failed state will disrupt the security of the region and the whole world.

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/ ... 63,00.html

sheekh-Farax-zero
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Re: Somali President Sheikh Sharif Sheikh Ahmed - TIME Interview

Postby sheekh-Farax-zero » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:52 pm

hanqadh
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight
Location: soo dhalin la wada garan wali suuqa dhagaxbuur dhiigoodu ma qoyana!

Postby hanqadh » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:53 pm

Can your government act as a bridge between Islamists and the West?
Without leaving our Islamic principles, we can have relations with the West. I believe my government can succeed in reducing the gap.

good answer :up:

snoop12
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby snoop12 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:59 pm

the somali flag and Sharif do not go together :lol:

abdikarim86
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby abdikarim86 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:59 pm

the somali flag and Sharif do not go together :lol:
why not

snoop12
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby snoop12 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:20 pm

dont you think this suits him better?

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.