Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CAROL SMITH: WOMEN BETTER MANAGERS THAN MEN !!!

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
Daanyeer
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

CAROL SMITH: WOMEN BETTER MANAGERS THAN MEN !!!

Postby Daanyeer » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:19 am

Source: http://mensnewsdaily.com/glennsacks/200 ... -than-men/
By Robert Franklin, Esq. | Jul 31, 2009

So now we know. Women are better corporate managers than are men.

How do we know? Carol Smith told us so, and she told us in the pages of the New York Times Business section here, so who can argue (The New York Times, 7/25/09)?

Who is Carol Smith? She's senior vice president of the media conglomerate the Elle Group. Why does Carol Smith hold such misandric views? Well, her experience tells her that women make better managers than do men, and that's that. Does it occur to her that her sexist worldview might possibly color her observations? If it does, she doesn't let on about it. Does it occur to her that her experience might be too limited to draw meaningful conclusions from? Maybe; she admits she's "generalizing," but that doesn't keep her from doing it.

Does it occur to her that people actually study management styles and their effectiveness, so that she doesn't have to rely on her own narrow set of experiences distorted by her sexism? Not apparently, and that's strange for a senior manager for a major corporation. I mean, what if a junior manager completed a project and his/her conclusion was based on nothing but some vague notions derived in a wholly unscientific way from pretty much random occurrences?

Imagine it. Smith: "Mr. Jones, I want you to tell me what the market is for product X at price Y in area Z. Report back to me in two months." Two months later. Smith: "Well, Mr. Jones what's your report?" Jones: "Sorry boss, it's no go. Only one person in ten thousand in area Z would buy X at that price." Smith: "How do you know?" Jones: "Oh, I chatted up some of my buddies and overheard a woman talking on her cell phone."

Wouldn't she either fire Jones or send him back to the drawing board? Yes, she probably would because that type of work product is shoddy at best. And the same holds true for her thinking, if that's what she's doing.

Fortunately, most of the comments on the article call Smith on her sexism and general silliness. To tell the truth, so does the Times. The article's headline "No Doubts: Women are Better Managers," fairly reeks of sarcasm. Smith has "no doubts," but anyone who thinks at all effectively about the matter has plenty.

Interestingly, it wasn't long ago that male managers were criticized for their domineering, "my way or the highway" mangement style. That was always at least part mythology. Successful managers learn over many years what works best for them. For some that means a military-style, "I give orders, you carry them out" way of managing. Others are more consesus oriented. But, part of male-bashing has always been to ignore facts, so male managers were caricatured as all "Chainsaw Al" Dunlaps.

So it's odd that one of the things Smith criticizes male managers for is the exact opposite. She claims they're always talking football or telling about their sons' soccer games. Most people would realize that what those guys are doing is trying to put people at their ease, softening an otherwise all-business approach. Not Smith. To her it's just more proof of male inferiority.

Some day, I swear, the media will start to realize what so many readers of the Times interview already do - that this sort of sexist nonsense is just worthless. There are differences between the sexes, and they make for interesting study and reading. Smith's type of off-the-cuff misandry says a lot about her, but nothing about anything else. It's a waste of perfectly good trees.

Thanks to Phil for the heads-up.

The Nomad
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight
Location: Las Qoray, Erigabo, Hadaftimo, Dhahar, Xingalol, Gelewiyt, Celaayo, Djibouti, Harena.

Re: CAROL SMITH: WOMEN BETTER MANAGERS THAN MEN !!!

Postby The Nomad » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:20 am

"Carol Smith" ?

Real objective.

ms.naliaa
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby ms.naliaa » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:21 am

women are better than men

men are better than women..

Im sick of this seasaw game.

Cant we all just get along? 8-)

gedo_gurl
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby gedo_gurl » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:28 am

I hate this website...and I love the new York Times. Guess which side Im on :P

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.