Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

SOMALIA going to the WHITE HOUSE

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
somali_peninsula

SOMALIA going to the WHITE HOUSE

Postby somali_peninsula » Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:47 pm

NAIROBI (Mareeg)—Somalia’s president Sharif Sheik Ahmed is scheduled to officially visit Washington, United States after he got invitation from the US Congress, sources said on Tuesday.
Sources close to office of the president say Senator Donald Payne sent invitation to President Sheik Sharif Sheik Ahmed.
US Congressman Donald Payne visited in Mogadishu and met President Sheik Sharif Sheik Ahmed and Prime Minister Omar Abdirashid Ali Sharmarke on 13 April 2009.

High ranking government officials said the president and the foreign minister will visit Washington in this month and will address to American Congress.
This will be the first time that a Somali president gets invitation from the United States since the collapse of Somali central government in 19991.
US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton had met president Sheik Sharif Sheik Ahmed in Nairobi, Kenya on Thursday and said president Sharif was the best hope of Somalia who could restore peace and stability in the war torn nation.

another news
her is a interesting article by nuradin dirie

Over 20 years, I have watched Somalia disintegrate politically, crumble economically and fragment socially. But my hope for Somalia's future was always entrusted in its younger generation. Our struggle was to invest in our youth inside Somalia to develop a culture of peace by continuously talking to them about the negative effect of the civil war. We also had great hope that the Somali young people growing up in the west would bring back to the country a culture of democracy, tolerance and coexistence with the rest of the world. Both of these hopes are being seriously challenged in Somalia today by a wave of radicalisation that directly targets Somali young people everywhere.

The religious disintegration in Somalia is what worries me the most. I never feared for Somalia as much as I do now. My fear emanates from the fact that I am today seeing a Somalia that I do not recognise. Up until recently, we could make sense of the complex political and social dynamics. The way to gauge it was that, one way or another, most things tended to be tribal or clan motivated. But the radicalisation in the country and in Somali communities in many parts of the world today is quite bewildering, quite unprecedented and quite detrimental to us all.

Religious groups in Somalia came to the forefront of Somali politics after the fall of the last central government in 1991. Since then, they have been part of the political process – or should I say political blunders? There was no apparent suspicion from the wider society about the motives of these organised religious groups. Somalia continued to have a blend of religio-clan politics that worked with each other as long as the clan took the overriding priority. "Fiqi tolkiis kama jana galo" – which loosely translates to mean, "even in justice religious scholars will always side with their clan and will consequently burn in hell" – is a maxim that aptly explains the religio-clan relationship in Somali society. But that was in a time of certitude. At least we always knew what we were dealing with.

But what I see now is what I will call the diktat of semi-literate and semi-sane child religious scholars. Today, 15-year-olds are giving religious edicts in Somalia that decide life and death. We are talking about teenagers who never knew anything but conflict and have never seen how a stable state functions. Youth who never had the opportunity to go to school now promulgate fatwas. Certainly they never had the chance to study Islamic jurisprudence, history or politics; never examined the Somali judicial history where customary law, Islamic sharia and the Somali penal system worked in tandem. Their qualifications for such esteemed leadership have been attained by crash radicalisation courses in the form of video and radio tapes, produced outside Somalia and designed to brainwash very unsuspecting, innocent and fragile children.

Child judges, as they are locally known in Somalia, were given the responsibility to decide on beheadings, stonings and amputations. This is a punitive system that most scholars will agree is not compatible in today's Somalia. The reign of these children is spreading fear amongst the Somali population. A group with the name al-Shabab justifies its policies by virtue of the fact that its name means "the youth". It alleges that its objective is to empower youth. The problem is that their definition of youth includes children as young as nine years old. And by their definition, empowerment does not mean providing an education so that they can learn and grow, but turning them into tools for murder and destruction.

In today's Somalia, children are victims, perpetrators and bystanders all at the same time. They are also being systematically recruited and used in ever larger numbers for military and related purposes, including suicide bombings. It is a terrible ordeal for such vulnerable children who have not known peace and normalcy in their lives.

But most alarming of all is that Somali youngsters are coming from cities like London and Minnesota to be part of this Mogadishu madness. For me, this is destroying Somalis everywhere. This is taking away the future hopes for Somalia. This is creating instability for Somali communities in their respective countries in the west.

It is ironic that as very young children they were taken from Somalia under very traumatic circumstances in order to give them a better life, free from conflict. The fact that they are now returning to Somalia to kill and be killed is a symptom of greater failures. Somali communities in places like my adopted country, Britain, have collectively failed to protect their children. Governments also failed to protect these children based on their unique needs. It is time to admit that. Now is the time to stand up and protect these children if we are to safeguard any future hopes for Somalia.

her is a comment written under the article of nuradin dirie
goonersunite
11 Aug 09, 11:22am (about 14 hours ago)
Can I just ask why Somali-land, the breakaway nation of the former British Protectorate, has manged to re-build itself into a nation, with a functioning Law and Order, Education and Heatlh facilities, and a thriving Democratic process,(even thouhg its unrecognised by the rest of the world)
whilst its southern Neighbour continues to be imbroiled in a constant battle between malitias, clan wars, and he some radical Islamisit group??

Im really intertested to know in the contrasting fortunes
have these people :sland: no diginity and self respect , because we all know who that was, do they think by putting down there fellow somalis going to help them.
and that type of behaviour is all over the inter just check comment under youtube videos`s
sad very sad

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.