Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Noordin M. Top," is official a dead irhabi

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
AhlulbaytSoldier
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Posts: 20301
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:50 am
Location: Persian Empire

Noordin M. Top," is official a dead irhabi

Postby AhlulbaytSoldier » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:57 am

Jakarta 'bomb plotter' dies in raid
Image



Top was wanted in connection with a number of attacks including the 2002 Bali bombings [AFP]


The suspected mastermind of last July's suicide attacks on two luxury hotels in Jakarta, the Indonesian capital, has been killed in a raid on a house in Java, police have said.

Noordin Mohammed Top was identified by his fingerprints after the bodies of at least four people were removed from the house on Thursday.

"It is Noordin M. Top," Bambang Hendarso Danuri, the national police chief, told a televised news conference.

"There are fourteen points of similarities that are identical in the fingerprint tests."

"Al Jazeera's Step Vaessen, reporting from Jakarta, said that it was an emotional news conference by the police chief.

"When he finally announced that Noordin M Top was dead people started cheering and clapping," she said.

Solo siege

Counter-terrorism troops searching for suspects involved in the the attacks on the Ritz-Carlton and JW Marriott hotels, which left nine people dead and 53 wounded, sealed off the area in a suburb of Solo city late on Wednesday.


In depth

Profile
Who is Noordin Mohammed Top?
Timeline
Indonesia bombings
Focus
Indonesia's war on Jemaah Islamiyah
Video
Indonesia police in shootout
Witness to Jakarta bombing
Jakarta blast caught on tape



Shooting could be heard overnight before an explosion around daybreak.

Indonesian television showed footage of a burnt-out house, with no roof and blown-out walls after the raid.

Nanan Soekarna, the national police spokesman, said that "explosives, weapons, and a grenade" had been found in the house.

A woman was injured in the raid and is being treated at a hospital in Solo, police said.

The besieged property was rented several months ago by a young couple who work as teachers at an Islamic boarding school and a kindergarten, Suratim, a local village chief, said.

Analysts believe that Top and his associates frequently used safe houses in Central Java, helped by a network of sympathisers in the area.

Sidney Jones, a senior adviser with the International Crisis Group think tank, told Al Jazeera that Indonesian officials would be pleased with the success of the operation.

"They are very proud of what they have achieved and they believe this will make a major dent in Indonesia's terrorist networks," she said.

"He [Top] was very clearly trying to be an Indonesian replica of Osama bin Laden. He was the one major terrorist in Indonesia who was following Bin Laden's directive of workig to wage war on America and its allies wherever possible."

Top is believed to be head of a splinter group with connections to Jemaah Islamiyah, a group fighting for an Islamic state in Southeast Asia.

In a 2005 video, he claimed to be al-Qaeda's representative in Southeast Asia and to be carrying out attacks on Western civilians to avenge Muslim deaths in Afghanistan.

Deadly attacks

Top was wanted in connection with the Bali bombings in 2002, which killed more than 200 people, and a number of other deadly attacks.

Peter Hughes, a survivor of the Bali bombing in 2002, told Al Jazeera: "I guess after seven years we have got some small justice.

"I tend to think that if he's not around others might stop and think 'we won't go forward with what his radical thoughts were'," he said.

Hughes praised the police for tracking down Top.

"I take my hat off to them. After seven years ... they have brought about a good result."

Several suspects in the July 17 bombings have been detained or killed in raids in recent weeks, but the authorities are still searching for several operatives believed to have planned the operation and recruited the bombers.

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.

  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General - General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 56 guests