Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

We Have more In Common with Arabs Than Africans

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
razzberry
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Re: We Have more In Common with Arabs Than Africans

Postby razzberry » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:47 pm

Well your always mentioning people looking down on black people. I recall a previous topic you made about some indian shop assistant or whatever treating white people better than you. I thought to myself "Who notices things like that?
Do you find racial prejudice...or do you look for it?". I have to put your story about meeting a somali in doubt, as well. This is because had you met a somali, you would have understood in a fraction of a second , that we consider ourselves perfection incarnate. Somalia is the most wretched country on earth, but to me it is still heaven. I have never been to place I have enjoyed more (and I have been to quite a few lovely places dubai, egypt, USA, Turkey to name a few). This is not because somalia is economically superior to other countries, in fact the opposite the reality, but that I consider my people (with all their faults) head and shoulders above the rest of the world. Anyway, let me move back to the topic at hand. The point is that somalis dont care what arabs think of them because we considered ourselves always superior throughout history. Somalis calling themselves arab is a new phenomenon, due to "globalisation", arab league, economic and political gains, cultural similarities (mostly due to islam) and geographic proximity etc. While an african american has had a history of being oppressed and told that they are "beneath" their white "superiors". The fact that most AA and africans dont associate somalis with africa or worse consider us "half-breeds" should tell you the image they have of africa pounded into their heads by the white "master".
If you can find it please go back and re read my post about the Indian in the shop. I made it clear that the only reason I noticed this incident is because the Indian girl was being overtly racist toward me from the start.

I have made it clear time and time again on this forum that the only Somali I have ever met and known is a roommate. I also made it clear that she did not have the attitude that you describe all Somalis to have.

What you write is true about a lot of AAs when it comes to being oppressed by whites and made to feel inferior but that has never applied to me. Maybe you have a selective memory when it comes to my posting history so I will remind you again. I come from a long background of educated people who never felt inferior to anyone which is why they were very successful even during a time of great oppression of blacks. Neither I nor anyone in my family feels inferior to anyone. In fact we are often accused of being some what stuck up.

I’m not sure what you point you are trying to make with that last part about Africans and AAs calling you half breeds. Is that comment supposed to have something to do with the fact that I am mixed race?

Shams al- Dawla
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby Shams al- Dawla » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:48 pm

Cuqdadu iyo ciilku waa kala labo.
Ninka cuqdada ku haya ku la ma hadlo.
Naagta ciil ku qabta se kaa ma'hadho .
The nomad tii ku dhashay baad ula tagaysa ciilka naaye , Jabuti warsangeli la ga ma' yaqaan waxaan riayaha garaabada loo tuuro aan ahayn :lol: ..bitch!

Murax
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Murax » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:56 pm

Salaam Murax how you been? I totally disagree I am up for the religion bit, I have more in common with anyone that is Muslim, anyone, reverts, black Asian, Africans, I can relate to them if they Muslim. Religion is the only thing that keeps me close to Arabs. But when it comes to culture, politics I have more in common with Africans I can relate to them about social situations, Arabs in my opinion and I can be wrong are arrogant, racist and full of themselves. They think we Africans are bunch of useless dark skin people. The Arab students at my university first of all are from rich families so probably don’t represent all Arabs but walahi when we talking about race, politics, poverty and economy, is like we in different worlds. But when we talking about marriage, arranged marriage, beauty and religion we seem to have lot in common, now to each of his own but to me politics race and poverty is more important than arranged marriage and anyone who is feeling what I am feeling about poverty corruption, elite taking over the world, that person is the person I can relate to. :up:

Surrender,

been good, how've You been? About Your points, ofcourse poverty stircken people can relate with poverty stricken people in some respects in that they know what it feels like to be poor. Case in point, a Somali can relate with other Africans way better when it comes to life neccessities and the struggles of being poor. However all I was speaking about was from a DHAQAN aspect, nothing else and the fact is from a dhaqan/cultural aspect Somalia is more closely aligned with Arabs. Regionally, ofcourse We share more concerns with Africans than Arabs however from a simple culture aspect We share more with Arabs. Speaking from personal experience in living in the Gulf When I was there, I felt the same amongst them as in being amongst Somalis. Living in Somalia, Somalia or living in in a Arab Country from a cultural aspect would be the same in a lot of aspects. Tea after Salaada Assr, the clan system, 100 camels for blood money, tribal elders, hospitality, marriage, clothing like macawis so many things. In studying the Somalis that live there they live amongst and freely mix with the populations there, and don't quarter themselves in certain neighborhoods like they do in Nairobi or Uganda etc. Furthoremore, Somalis are given more rights and freedom in a lot of Arab Countries than African Countries believe it or not. In Egypt or Yemen or Syria a Somali is never asked for papers and can go to school, open a business etc. In the Gulf Somalis are actually more respected than most other Non Gulf Countries as they are seen as people with an attatchment to the Quran. In My time there I was never called a "cabiid" or any derrogotory name, nor faced any discrimination. In Kenya a Somali has to pay constant bribes to Kenyan authorities and the jails there are filled with Somalis. The only Country that Has a Anti Somali immigration policy is Saudi Arabia but they have a Anti Non Saudi immigration policy as they cannot be the host to a billion and a half Muslims. Now does this mean that I think I'm a Arab and not a African? No. Should We have great relations and embrace Pan Africanism? Yes, however that does not mean We should go to extremes to conform to many Christian/Pagan African at the expense of our culture and Islam? No. Look at Sudan/Lybia. They are the most diehard pan Africans yet, manage to keep their distinct identity, Why can't We?

Cumar,

The "pure" Arabs according to History are the tribes that originated from Yemen inparticular the tribes of Qahtaan. Everybody else from North Africans to the Leavant (Palestine, Jordan, etc.) are Arabized. Even the Prophet SAW was a Arabized Arab by anscestory because He traces to Isma'iil AH and Ismaa'il was not a Arab because His Father Ibrahim AH was not a Arab. So basically the Arabs that actually have tribes in the Arabian peninsula today (Yemen, Oman, Saudi Arabia) are originally Arabs and everybody else Sudan, Morroco, Palestine etc. have different orginis (Berbers, Druths, Nubians) but became Arab by learning Arabic.

Sir-Luggoyo
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Sir-Luggoyo » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:07 pm

^^ Is it the "carabi waa naag" poem? :mrgreen:
Yea, something like

Cudu ma leh col kula weerar gala ciidan iyo xooge
Inkastooy cid kuu soo diraan waa cidloo kale'e
Caloosha iyo madaxay sidii dumar cantuugaane
Maandhow cyayaayirka iga daa Carabi waa naage

Despite colossal reinforcements, they are nonetheless unproductive

Murax
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Murax » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:51 pm

sir Lugooyo,

I agree with Sayyidka AUN that Arabs are useless. I mean look at whats going on in Gaza and the sea of Arabs surrounding it.

gurey25
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby gurey25 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:00 am

I grew up in the gulf and from the start i was exposed to all the various cultures you would find there.
Islam is not the only factor , its more about the culture.
I recognized the similarity of the arab khaliji culture to the somali, infact this acceptence was 2 way.
The local khaliji arabs prefered the company of yemenis and somalis to other arabs like palestinians and egyptians.

gurey25
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby gurey25 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:09 am

of course by Somalis i am referring to the Somalis that have been living in the gulf before 1990.
most of these have immigrated to Europe and the Americas after the nationalization of the public sector and their replacement by locals (Somalis worked predominantly in the municipalities,other government offices, army, police).

the Somalis after 1991 mainly from the south, do not speak arabic and do not mingle with the khaliji arabs, and they live mostly in Dubai and sharjah which are Indian..

this confuses the khalijis these days because when they see a somali they automatically see you as a darker more exotic version of themselves
but most of the Somalis they come across these days are newly arrived and do not speak arabic and are very alien to them..
:lol:

Paddington Bear
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Paddington Bear » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:27 am

of course by Somalis i am referring to the Somalis that have been living in the gulf before 1990.
most of these have immigrated to Europe and the Americas after the nationalization of the public sector and their replacement by locals (Somalis worked predominantly in the municipalities,other government offices, army, police).

the Somalis after 1991 mainly from the south, do not speak arabic and do not mingle with the khaliji arabs, and they live mostly in Dubai and sharjah which are Indian..

this confuses the khalijis these days because when they see a somali they automatically see you as a darker more exotic version of themselves
but most of the Somalis they come across these days are newly arrived and do not speak arabic and are very alien to them..
:lol:
Were you a Yafuur boy then? :mrgreen:

Other Africans do not love camels like Arabs and Somalis do. Therefore the Arabs win it. :mrgreen:

ToughGong
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby ToughGong » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:30 am

Last edited by ToughGong on Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:38 am, edited 4 times in total.

Paddington Bear
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Paddington Bear » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:32 am

What a lovely picture, and I'm not even talking about her mouth. :mrgreen:

gurey25
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby gurey25 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:34 am

i have seen yaafuur wheni was a child, my cousins and uncles lived there..
but it was the somali ghetto :lol: :lol:

it was torn down sometime before 1990.
the somalis moved to bani yas and mussafax..

i grew up in the middle of abudhabi, nadi siyaxi area.
:mrgreen:

Shiekh zayed back in the day allah yarxamu used to visit yaafuur and he used to listen to the peoples concerns and petitions.
all those somalis could have easily taken the UAE passport and only a small percentage took advantage of the opportunity.
1970's abudhabi was nothimng more than a toolo at best a small town, and everyone was proud of thier somali passport.

Paddington Bear
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Paddington Bear » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:40 am

i have seen yaafuur wheni was a child, my cousins and uncles lived there..
but it was the somali ghetto :lol: :lol:

it was torn down sometime before 1990.
the somalis moved to bani yas and mussafax..

i grew up in the middle of abudhabi, nadi siyaxi area.
:mrgreen:
Aha! One of those that used to chat up girls by the fire escape, huh? :mrgreen:
I bet you're not from the South of Somalia then (either SL or the disputed parts of PL).

S_lander-boy
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight
Location: AMSTERDAM ROFFA WORLD WIDE CONNECTED THE NETHERLANDS

Postby S_lander-boy » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:42 am

That pic is disgusting what's wrong with you that's low son damn ! :lol:

ToughGong
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby ToughGong » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:51 am

NICE PAIR THOUGH DON'T YOU THINK

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.