Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hilib ari

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
BlackVelvet
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Re: Hilib ari

Postby BlackVelvet » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:32 am

How many different ways can you possibly make hilib? Cut, marinade, fry; Cut, marinade, grill; Cut, marinade, bake :?

grandpakhalif
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby grandpakhalif » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:53 am

This is why I leave the cooking to women I can barely understand :?

AbdiWahab252
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby AbdiWahab252 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:02 am

My favorite method of making Hilib Aari:

2 - 3lbs Hilib Aari
2 cloves of garlic
2 lemons (used to make lemon juice)
Curry powder turmeric Coriander
Paprika
Salt
Black pepper

(The measure of spices are to one's taste)

Mix the lemon juice, garlic, and spices
Marinade meat in lemon juice mixture
Allow to marinate at least one hour.
Grill meat over charcoal

Serve grilled meat with some potato salad or coleslaw.

Wash down with a cold chilled Schweppes Tonic Water

Recommended Drinks:

1. Chilled Mango Juice

2. Orangina

3. Nonalcoholic Beer

abdisamad3
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby abdisamad3 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:16 am

You're welcome.

I think you were tryna go for baby back ribs style with the bbq, sweet & sour thing, right? There are actually 100% vegeterian baby back ribs by a company called Morning Star. Look for it in your supermarket freezer isle. They come already packaged. Taste decent.

Instead of doing the usual hilib ari, bariis, etc. Why don't you do something different? Like Moroccan dishes or do Fish biriyani, youtube them. Maybe do a lot of appetizers instead with jalapeno poppers, mozarella sticks, crab cakes, etc?

What are you gonna do for dessert? May I suggest Mrs Smith's frozen apple pie with cinnabon crumbs? Pop it in the oven for 1 hr and serve it hot & delicious with some homemade Blue Bell vanilla ice cream. That's how they be doing in it here in the South.
I have a couple of dishes in mind, I just wanted to do something with hilib that's all.

I got the desert, I'm doing kitten style chocolate melt down... Brownie with chocolate mousse inside and ice cream. Yum right? :lol: Shit, now I can't wait!!

Oldenglish, YOU'RE LYING! What happened? Bad experience? Food too oily?
ayamahan miyaad iscayalineeysa horta.. :shock:

Cinque Mtume
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Cinque Mtume » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:23 am

Best hilib ari I ever ate, besides my mom's, was in Gifto's in West London. :up:

sexy-kitten
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: You'll never catch me, might as well just watch me.

Postby sexy-kitten » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:44 am

AW, I did something similar a while ago but I didn't grill it. I cooked it caadi, with that recipe try adding Teriyaki sauce.

Abdalla, maybe cooking should be everyone's hobby. While they are the main ones making the food, women shouldn't be the only ones cooking in a household. Get that 3rd world mentality out of your head.

Abdisamad, kir nooh.... If a woman makes a thread like this, she's either a fat ass or is trying to gain weight. In fact hilib adhi enhances feminine assets. If a guy makes the exact same thread, he's one of two things. He's a macho man who loves to eat OR he's a fag who loves to cook. I'm comfortable with my physique kid, so should you. :up:

Cinque, there is nothing compared to hooyo's hilib. :heart:

abdisamad3
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby abdisamad3 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:56 am

AW, I did something similar a while ago but I didn't grill it. I cooked it caadi, with that recipe try adding Teriyaki sauce.

Abdalla, maybe cooking should be everyone's hobby. While they are the main ones making the food, women shouldn't be the only ones cooking in a household. Get that 3rd world mentality out of your head.

Abdisamad, kir nooh.... If a woman makes a thread like this, she's either a fat ass or is trying to gain weight. In fact hilib adhi enhances feminine assets. If a guy makes the exact same thread, he's one of two things. He's a macho man who loves to eat OR he's a fag who loves to cook. I'm comfortable with my physique kid, so should you. :up:

Cinque, there is nothing compared to hooyo's hilib. :heart:
dont ruin dhex daada yar my dear... ;)

AbdiWahab252
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby AbdiWahab252 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:37 pm

SegsiK,

I can't wait to bring out the grill & throw a BBQ. But the best meal I believe is Beer & Laxoox. The mere thought of it makes my mouth water.

Cinque Mtume
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Cinque Mtume » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:11 pm

SegsiK,

I can't wait to bring out the grill & throw a BBQ. But the best meal I believe is Beer & Laxoox. The mere thought of it makes my mouth water.

Why do you say Laxoox? Since when was it ever fashionable to use qaldaan words?

It's Canjeelo nigga.

Murax
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Murax » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:15 pm

I have a ridiculous urge to try camel meat

Nabeela
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Nabeela » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:19 pm

Canjeelo? isn't canjeero? :?

Murax
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Murax » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:22 pm

Canjeelo? isn't canjeero? :?

I know it as Canjeero.

Cinque Mtume
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Cinque Mtume » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:35 pm

Some people say Canjeero.

But the proper word is Canjeelo. It's the ultimate bastardized Somali version of the Ethiopian word Injera. It finishes where Canjeero starts.

Voltage
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Sheikh Voltage ibn Guleid-Shire al-Garbaharawi, Oil Baron

Postby Voltage » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:38 pm

How do you know it originally comes from Ethiopia? Maybe ethios can't say "C" so bastardized it? I know most of our bread types come from India and since we are the coast, it reached us first before the Habesh.

Cinque Mtume
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Cinque Mtume » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:46 pm

Some bread types only come from India, because of our colonial history to the British based in Bombay.

Injera is way older and I heard it was originally a Yemeni Jewish dish.

If an Ethiopian tells you Somalis have copied injera from them, you're entitled to slap him in the face 5 times for the bitch he is. We got it from the Yemeni, they bake canjeelo in the exact same way as we do. Small, thick, round and mild. And the Yemeni word for it is Lahoh.

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.