Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Somali Traditional Medicine

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
udun
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Somali Traditional Medicine

Postby udun » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:12 am

I would like all of the SNET forum members to list any Somali traditional medicine that they are aware of and what is used for. Please try to explain as much as you can so we can understand the tree that it comes from, how it is applied to illnesess, wounds, etc.

Here is what I have learned by talking to people I know. Please note I have no any medical norbiological backgrounds so I am just relying here what I have come across and would appreciate if you can really list any thing that you know about this topic and expand it a little bit. I am here to learn more.

1. Asal Galool. This comes from the Acacia Bussei tree's trunks and it is called Galool in Somali language. Many Somalis use it to treat different illnesses that occur in the intestines and stomach. Somalis who used it claim that it is a detoxicant that gets heavy metals out of your body and also cleans many of the internal problems that occur in the stomach and intestines.

2. Weyrax / Caws Dameeraad. This is part of the grass that grows in the Savanah regions of Somalia and it is used mostly to clean stomach and kidney problems.

3. Myrrh and Frankincense (Foox iyo Lalmal). "Both myrrh and frankincense grow as small trees or shrubs; they are of the botanical family Burseraceae. ...... Most resin (whether myrrh or frankincense) is obtained by tapping: making deliberate incisions with a specially designed tool or ordinary axe, about 2 inches long, into the bark of the tree. The milky liquid that exudes hardens on exposure to air into droplets or "tears," which are then easily detached by the collector about two weeks later. New tappings are made at the same place as old ones after removing hardened resin from the previous cut. If the tapping interval is short, then a light scratching of the wood is usually sufficient to cause the resin to flow again. The particular details of the tapping-the time of year it is undertaken, its duration, and the interval between individual tappings-vary according to the species and the customs in the area of production. For example, in Somalia there are usually two periods when Boswellia is tapped, each lasting 3-4 months, involving successive tappings at approximately 15-day intervals, with the timing of the tapping periods dependant on the onset and extent of the rains. The resin is stored for about 12 weeks to harden. The only processing undertaken after collection is sorting and grading of the resin globules, usually done by the local merchant to whom it is sold rather than the collector. " "Small amounts of raw myrrh and frankincense taken internally stimulate the stomach and promote digestion, but in larger amounts they can be irritating to the stomach, so the raw material is used mainly for external applications and for low dosage forms, such as pills and capsules."
http://www.itmonline.org/arts/myrrh.htm

4. Xulbada -- I am not sure what is made from and which tree it comes from but it is used to treat illness that occur in the stomach and in intestines. Please expand a little bit if you are aware of the tree that it comes from and how it is processed to produce it.

LobsterUnit
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Re: Somali Traditional Medicine

Postby LobsterUnit » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:30 am

Never heard of SOmali medicine. But thanks for the education bladeer. Pro African and Oriental traditional medicines. I occasionaly bathe in honey,salt and sunflower oil. :up:

ToughGong
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby ToughGong » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:51 am

Jaleelo Cassia senna;the seeds of this plant is used to relief contipation

udun
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby udun » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:21 am

Jaleelo Cassia senna;the seeds of this plant is used to relief contipation

ok Jaleelo and its proper english name: Cassia senna.

udun
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby udun » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:22 am

Never heard of SOmali medicine. But thanks for the education bladeer. Pro African and Oriental traditional medicines. I occasionaly bathe in honey,salt and sunflower oil. :up:
Gaajounit,

What does these items help by taking shower with them?

LobsterUnit
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby LobsterUnit » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:31 am

Udun:

Honey: makes you appear more sweet to the ladies. ;)

Salt: makes your mind determined and strong.

SUnflower oil: increases male potency.

:up:

udun
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby udun » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:41 am

Udun:

Honey: makes you appear more sweet to the ladies. ;)

Salt: makes your mind determined and strong.

SUnflower oil: increases male potency.

:up:
Showering with Sunflower oil increases male potency? :lol: :lol: I read one of the forums where someone was saying that by eating Humus and Xulbad makes women more horny and believe me that poster claimed to be a girl. :lol: :lol:

Btw, is it really true that showering with Sunflower oil makes men more potent and I care to ask how if you are just bashing with it?

:lol: :lol:

LobsterUnit
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby LobsterUnit » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:50 am

:mrgreen:

^^ I haven't tested it out yet. But i'll let you know when i get married in dhumay. Right know, it's only a hypothesis :up:

udun
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby udun » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:54 am

:mrgreen:

^^ I haven't tested it out yet. But i'll let you know when i get married in dhumay. Right know, it's only a hypothesis :up:
Dhumay? Waryaahee ma nin Cali Nuur ah baad tahay?

bal heestan ila eeg:

Qawloo car loo degey
Car car sacabka loo tumay
Cali Nuur ku idil yahay
Cayaaro waa ka joogaan.
:lol: :lol:

Shirib
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Shirib » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:01 pm

xabadsoodo cures everything but death :up:

LobsterUnit
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby LobsterUnit » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:04 pm

udun, I'm not good with songs or clans. But I'm half haba jeclo half faqashini :clap:

hanqadh
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight
Location: soo dhalin la wada garan wali suuqa dhagaxbuur dhiigoodu ma qoyana!

Postby hanqadh » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:05 pm

xabadsoodo cures everything but death :up:
You got that right, I always use this when I feel ill.

S-D-M
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Postby S-D-M » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:07 pm

udun, I'm not good with songs or clans. But I'm half haba jeclo half faqashini :clap:
I heard Faqash, but why add shini (bees)

Shirib
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Shirib » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:10 pm

I heard Faqash, but why add shini (bees)
Faqashini is a subclan of Ceyr, Habar Gedir, but they live up north with Dhulo's and stuff

udun
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby udun » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:02 pm

Shirib,

Xabadsoodo (black seeds), toon (garlic), malab (honey), and basal (onions) are what our prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) told us to eat. Xabadsoodo and malab help the immune system, and toon and basal help to clear any plugs in our vein. This is specially the case where the best remedy for blood pressure is eating garlic.

Thanks for pointing out Xabadsoodo. What I am after also those traditional Somali medicine that is also used to treat illnesses and wounds.

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.