Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why are Somalis in Somalia dark but Somalis in diaspora not?

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
Monk-of-Mogadishu
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight
Location: The thought of gemini07 and her family getting rich sends chills down my spine

Why are Somalis in Somalia dark but Somalis in diaspora not?

Postby Monk-of-Mogadishu » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:51 pm

I've always wondered why only a small percentage of diaspora Somalis are dark-skinned but virtually everyone in Somalia is blue-black.

My brother explained it through evolution, saying that in some extreme cases that evolution speeds up for some species, using Darwin's archipelago bird theory. He also says that climate extremities between Minnesota and Somalia is the reason for the notoriously high autism rate for Somalis here.

But, does it not make you curious why Somalis mysteriously become 3 shades lighter over the course of 1 generation? :|

Temperature can't even explain this one, I've realized that Somalis back in the 70s and 80s were much better looking than today's ravaged looking population. Are the Somalis back home so ugly because of trauma? Then again, many of us including myself survived the civil war and I'm not ugly. :|

DisplacedDiraac
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Nobody said it'd be easy.. they just promised it'd be worth it...

Re: Why are Somalis in Somalia dark but Somalis in diaspora

Postby DisplacedDiraac » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:55 pm

The environment :up:

Voltage
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Sheikh Voltage ibn Guleid-Shire al-Garbaharawi, Oil Baron

Postby Voltage » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:17 pm

I have always wondered why Somalis who live here are shades lighter than the average back home and why kids born here are even lighter than the Somalis who migrated. :lol:

Course I would have to say it is the temperature with Somalis in Somalia being sun baked 365 days a year.

Berke
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Berke » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:22 pm

Advo
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Advo » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:24 pm

I have a different theory

I think it's because of adultery.

The-Screw
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby The-Screw » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:27 pm

Somalis in Somalia being sun baked 365 days a year.

less to do with evolution, the clue is in the Somali flag itself. the clear blue skies invite the sun. notice the Haitians as well.

Murax
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Murax » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:40 pm

Holy Crap, is that the screw who's back?

Monk-of-Mogadishu
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight
Location: The thought of gemini07 and her family getting rich sends chills down my spine

Postby Monk-of-Mogadishu » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:43 pm

God damn there's a huge Marexaan ratio in this topic. Do you guys call each other when one of you enters a topic---I've seen this a lot. :shock: :?

Murax
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Murax » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:49 pm

Paimdonk,

Humans evolve and adapt to their enviroment over time. Case in point, I notice Somalis born-raised in America over time start to resemble African Americans. Sometimes Wallahi I even have a tough time differentiating them. Somalis in Somalia with no clouds in the sky, blazing sun and low altitude are generally going to be dark mofos, thin and their hair is gonna be soft. Tigray/Amharic Highlanders You notice are lighter skinned with more corse hair. Europeans, Scandanavians etc. are always gonna have stronger builds, a lot of hair, and pale due to their enviroment. Humans adapt to their enviroment.

Btw, Somalis in Somalia today are definitely traumitized, don't go to doctors. no healthcare and many are constantly sick and malnourished. Ofcourse their features are going to be distorted a little bit.

DisplacedDiraac
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Nobody said it'd be easy.. they just promised it'd be worth it...

Postby DisplacedDiraac » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:14 pm

I notice Somalis born-raised in America over time start to resemble African Americans. Sometimes Wallahi I even have a tough time differentiating them.
That doesn't make any sense at all!!

Its like me saying Somalis born and raised in the UK are starting to resemble Black British people (the descendents of the slaves)...
This is bull even though the Somalis in the UK have been in the west longer than the Somali yanks and Somali Brits look like your typical Somalis..

It would have made more sense if you said the Somalis born and bred in America were starting to resemble the native americans... :|

Murax
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Murax » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:23 pm

I notice Somalis born-raised in America over time start to resemble African Americans. Sometimes Wallahi I even have a tough time differentiating them.
That doesn't make any sense at all!!

Its like me saying Somalis born and raised in the UK are starting to resemble Black British people (the descendents of the slaves)...
This is bull even though the Somalis in the UK have been in the west longer than the Somali yanks and Somali Brits look like your typical Somalis..

It would have made more sense if you said the Somalis born and bred in America were starting to resemble the native americans... :|

Westllondon,

I've seen it walle. I'm not talking about gear they wear like hip hop. I"m talking about it gets even to features. I've seen it with My own eyes.

union
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby union » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:25 pm

They still have the genes for dark skin. Take them to Somalia and they'll turn dark as coal. Living in colder Western nations has made melanin production not as necessary.

RuralMan08
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby RuralMan08 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:30 pm

Its quite simple. The Somalis back home have commited such great and heinous sins in front of Allah hence he has darkened their faces for the evil in which they have accumulated with their hands. No amount of Diana will save those whom Allah is angry with. Whilst those who left have come here with a sinless heart and their evil was dictated to and they learnt it here. The man who shits in his own country is worse than a man who does it elsewhere. Allah has confirmed the darkening of faces in link to sins:

But as for those who have earned bad actions-a bad action will be repaid with one the like of it. Debasement will darken them. They will have no one to protect them from Allah. It is as if their faces were covered by dark patches of the night. Those are the Companions of the Fire, remaining in it timelessly, for ever. (Surah Yunus, verse 27)

sexy-kitten
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: You'll never catch me, might as well just watch me.

Postby sexy-kitten » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:46 pm

I've always wondered why only a small percentage of diaspora Somalis are dark-skinned but virtually everyone in Somalia is blue-black.

My brother explained it through evolution, saying that in some extreme cases that evolution speeds up for some species, using Darwin's archipelago bird theory. He also says that climate extremities between Minnesota and Somalia is the reason for the notoriously high autism rate for Somalis here.

But, does it not make you curious why Somalis mysteriously become 3 shades lighter over the course of 1 generation? :|

Temperature can't even explain this one, I've realized that Somalis back in the 70s and 80s were much better looking than today's ravaged looking population. Are the Somalis back home so ugly because of trauma? Then again, many of us including myself survived the civil war and I'm not ugly. :|
First of all, dark is not ugly. ;)

Secondly, I think Somalis in the 70s and 80s had it made. They used to live lavishly with our country being the most peaceful and beautiful as we had exotic fruits and veggies growing at our backyards and tourists visiting our country. Since the 90s and 00s, our brothers and sisters have become victims of starvation, bombings, and angry masked men parading the streets. That caused Somalis not to sleep, rest, and gain access to food. Fuck, I'd look shitty as hell having to listen to gunshots and depressed all day too!

Insha'Allah 10-30 from years and we'll experience peace among us with our country returning to its state of paradise. :mrgreen:

ciyaal_warta
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby ciyaal_warta » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:05 pm

it has something 2 do with the environment and weather

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.