Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Population of Somaliland + Somalia

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
juzme123
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Re: Population of Somaliland + Somalia

Postby juzme123 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:59 am

This is one of those things even you guys know is not worth the debate. :lol:
I disagree. It is not about establishing an exact figure or even showing that such and such are more numerous than such and such, but to establish that the 10m is illogical and to just ponder why.

gurey25
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby gurey25 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:02 am

juzume we cannot coome up with figures from our heads, we need to base our educated guess on what little data is available to us..

RovingMadness
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby RovingMadness » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:06 am

Xamud,

Don't shoot the messenger, bro :up:

Xamud.

Postby Xamud. » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:07 am

This is one of those things even you guys know is not worth the debate. :lol:
:lol: :lol:

Yeah the debate was kind of lost the moment Abuukarsubeer stepped in with his mad numbers :lol: Maydh 30.000 :lol:

Am out guys, these southern bastards number more than Puntland and Somaliland combined.

juzme123
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby juzme123 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:07 am

juzume we cannot coome up with figures from our heads, we need to base our educated guess on what little data is available to us..
That is why I said the following:

Considering that Isaaq is the majority in Somaliland, the, in this case objective and unbiased, CIA estimates that Isaaq represents 22% of the total 10mil. That is without the other populations of Somaliland i.e. Gudabiirsi, Dhulbhante, Wasangeli, refugees from the south, Gabooye & Fiqishini as well as others. If we add up the Dir (gudabiirsi & Ciise) and Isaaq, as categorised by CIA map, they alone represent 29% of the total population without adding the Dhulbahante, Warsangeli, Refugees, Gabooye, Fiqishini, others as well as all the population of Puntland. :|

This should give an indication that perhaps some people are underestimating the population of the "north".

Xamud.

Postby Xamud. » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:08 am

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
:lol: :lol: :lol:

juzme123
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby juzme123 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:15 am

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What's funny ? And before you even start, it is not about clan X or Y but the populations of Puntland and Somaliland, which rovingmadness somehow put at 20% of the 10mil, whilst their land area represent just under half of what is indernationally seen as Somalia and available data disputes the assertion of 20% :|

Voltage
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Sheikh Voltage ibn Guleid-Shire al-Garbaharawi, Oil Baron

Postby Voltage » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:19 am

Montana, less than 1 million in total

New Jersey, almost 10 million population

gurey25
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby gurey25 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:22 am

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What's funny ? And before you even start, it is not about clan X or Y but the populations of Puntland and Somaliland, which rovingmadness somehow put at 20% of the 10mil, whilst their land area represent just under half of what is indernationally seen as Somalia and available data disputes the assertion of 20% :|
size of land is not important juzume, rawanda is small than habar jeclo or habar yunis land but has more population than all somalia.

Voltage your point is valid, but how do you explain away the estimate by both Italy and Britain in the 50's and 60's and the 1975 census?

Monk-of-Mogadishu
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight
Location: The thought of gemini07 and her family getting rich sends chills down my spine

Postby Monk-of-Mogadishu » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:25 am

I actually have to agree with Twisted Logic to some extent, although to a different tune:

Everything from Hiiraan and further south is likely 70% of the population today, and was probably 80% or more before the exodus to Bosaso over the last 5-10 years.

My guesses:

City [URBAN] populations - INCLUDING IDPs:

Xamar (excluding camps) - 1 million
Hargeisa - 350,000
Bosaso 170,000
Gaalkacyo - 110,000
Baladweyn - 100,000
Baydhabo - 100,000
Kismayo - 95,000
Burco - 90,000
Marka - 85,000
Borama - 80,000
Garowe - 70,000
Qardho - 55,000
Berbera - 40,000

Those are urban towns by the way. There's a good chance that some rural community like Wanlaweyn or Jamaame outnumbers a city like Gaalkacyo. :lol:

juzme123
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby juzme123 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:25 am

You guys are off your head, so where does the remaining 80% live? in Mogadishu,Beledweyn,Baydhabo and Kismayo?
Marka, Brava, Jowhar, Balcad, Afgoi, not to mention the dozens of medium sized settlements that are spread out from Galgacayo till the Kenyan borders. A quick peruse on Google Earth will show that even the smallest regions in the South as having bigger population density than the much touted and advertised places of Puntland and Somaliland. Seriously, even 20% is quite generous. No way Isaaq and Majerteen are 40% of the Somali population :lol:
I've just looked at google maps and though it doesn't say when the images were taken, from what I can tell, Marka is not a massively large city, it is roughly the size of Las Anod (LA) whilst Brava and Balcad are smaller than LA. Surprisingly, Jowhar is larger than I expected and though divided by the river, it is roughly the size of Boorama. So the cities you cite are not really that large :|

RovingMadness
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby RovingMadness » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:27 am

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
size of land is not important juzume, rawanda is small than habar jeclo or habar yunis land but has more population than all somalia.

Voltage your point is valid, but how do you explain away the estimate by both Italy and Britain in the 50's and 60's and the 1975 census?
Those census were not accurate as neither Italy nor Britain had the means to carry out a territory wide census.

juzme123
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby juzme123 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:29 am

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Voltage & Gurey25

Interesting how you focus only on land area. I didn't just speak about land area but also the data by the CIA of the % of the populations. You would have had a point had I only spoken about land area, but I didn't :|

gurey25
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby gurey25 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:29 am

:lol: :lol: 350,000 for hargiesa and 90,000 for burco

this is what i was saying, people will bring figures from their imaginations according to qabiil.

Monk-of-Mogadishu
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight
Location: The thought of gemini07 and her family getting rich sends chills down my spine

Postby Monk-of-Mogadishu » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:31 am

Facts don't lie. :|

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.