Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

North America: Somalis mobilize fundraisers-famine-relief

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
Somalian_Boqor
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

North America: Somalis mobilize fundraisers-famine-relief

Postby Somalian_Boqor » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:35 am

Games for the young at a Somali Relief Ottawa-East Africa Relief campaign with fundraising barbecue benefit on Sunday July 24, 2011, at Vincent Massey Park.

Their plates overflowed with food in memory of those whose plates are empty.

On Sunday, hundreds of people — many part of Ottawa’s large Somali diaspora — converged at Vincent Massey Park for a day-long fundraiser to help the millions of Africans living through the worst famine to hit the horn of Africa in decades.

The scent of halal hamburgers and hotdogs roasting on the grill filled the air, while people piled their plates high with salad, chicken and rice, samosas, and traditional Somali meat stews.

There were sweets, too: Cupcakes, cookies and brownies emblazoned with a simple message in white icing: “Feed Somalia.”

More than 11 million people in Somalia, Kenya, Ethiopia and Djibouti desperately need humanitarian help.

The situation is particularly bad in Somalia’s troubled southern region, where the distribution of aid is being hampered by the hard-line Islamist al-Shabaab militia, which is blocking relief supplies from entering the country.

Caught in the middle, thousands of Somalis are making a perilous journey south to Kenya, home of the world’s largest refugee camp.

A report in the New York Times this week said countless Somalis are dying along the way, while many of those who do make it to Kenya can barely stand, talk or swallow.

“Some mothers have even shown up with the bodies of shrivelled babies strapped to their backs,” the Times reported.

Suad Daware left Somalia as a child.

Now 29, the Ottawa woman has been following the story closely and was struck when she read about a woman who left for Kenya with five children, to arrive with only two.

The other three died en route.

“That just got me,” Daware said.

“I don’t know what that would feel like for a parent. I cannot even imagine.”

She decided on-the-spot to organize something, got some friends to join her and partnered with another community group that was already planning a BBQ for Sunday. “Hopefully it will mobilize people,” she said.

“If it were you, you’d hope people would help you out.”

What’s happening right now in Africa hits close to home for Mohamed Sofa, a community health worker at Pinecrest-Queensway Community Health Centre.

“It’s very emotional,” he said. “I think inside people are burning.”

Most of his family, including his parents, still live in Somalia. They live in the northeast, which isn’t part of the severely affected area. But they have seen food prices soar: They used to be able to buy a large jug of cooking oil, 50 kilograms of rice, some flour and powdered milk for $150, but these days, $300 to $400 couldn’t buy the same amount of food.

People are also having to look out for others, Sofa said, so food that once was split among five mouths is now being stretched to feed up to 20.

But his family is safe. For now. As Sofa explained, safety in Somalia — a country that’s been gripped by turmoil since its government fell in 1991 — is conditional.

Hawa Mohamed also has relatives in Somalia — cousins, nieces and nephews — but reaching them has been difficult now that thousands are on the move to Kenya.

Mohamed stays on top of what’s happening in the region by reading Canadian and Arabic newspapers online, but she can no longer bear to look at the pictures.

“I reach a point where I can’t watch. I can only read. My heart cannot handle it.”

Sofa said he’s not looking at the pictures either. “The images are hard, you don’t want to drain yourself,” he said.

Mohamed said she wants the international community, including Canada, to come up with a long-term solution for her troubled homeland, as the revolving door of transitional governments clearly isn’t working.

After 20 years of conflict, it’s time to focus on the people affected, she said.

The Canadian government pledged this week to give $50 million to aid organizations responding to the crisis. That’s on top of the $22 million the government had previously committed to. The government will also match charitable donations made by individual Canadians dollar-for-dollar.

Mohamed said she’s proud her adopted country is giving so generously and encourages Canadians to open their wallets. But she wants the government and aid agencies to make sure the money gets into the hands of those who need it most.

Mohamed said she is angered by reports that al-Shabaab is refusing to accept aid from Western countries and the United Nations World Food Program.

There needs to be another way to get food to the people in Somalia or else thousands more will die trying to make the journey to Kenya.

Meanwhile, the warlords, pirates, extremists and constant state of conflict takes a toll on all Somalis, she said. “It’s a living trauma to be Somalian,” Mohamed said. “You don’t see anything to be proud of.”

Sofa said he’s not surprised the militia group is blocking aid given its behaviour over the years. He called the current famine “man made” and agreed that the solution lies in finding a long-term fix to the political instability. Otherwise, there will be more famines and refugee camps will continue to burst at the seems.

“We feel like everyone’s given up,” he said. “You have to wonder what is next. Thirty years, 50 years, will I ever see a solution in my lifetime?”

mpearson@ottawacitizen.com

Methylamine
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Re: North America: Somalis mobilize fundraisers-famine-relie

Postby Methylamine » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:35 pm

I was volunteering there, Masha'Allah more people came than expected :up: We raised $26k and govt plans to match it :D

#feedsomalia

greenday
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Ruux bukaanka ku nacay, adoo bahan katagay....Ala barasho, barasho wacanaa!

Postby greenday » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:37 pm

Mashallah, nice to see everyone doing their part.

idol
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby idol » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:43 pm

Why the fuck would they give out food? and sweets? for f-king what? this shit makes me sick wallahi, Why would you feed over-fed kids, while kids in Africa are dying of hunger? They should have donated the money they bought the food with...

greenday
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Ruux bukaanka ku nacay, adoo bahan katagay....Ala barasho, barasho wacanaa!

Postby greenday » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:51 pm

Why the fuck would they give out food? and sweets? for f-king what? this shit makes me sick wallahi, Why would you feed over-fed kids, while kids in Africa are dying of hunger? They should have donated the money they bought the food with...
We have to eat and its inevitable that people will eat when they are somewhere for some time but what they could have done is sell the food, which is what we did, this makes more money.

Methylamine
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Methylamine » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:51 pm

The food was donated by Muslim businesses; they then overcharged the food to people. All of the money made from selling the food was then donated...

AsadSL
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby AsadSL » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:29 pm

Great stuff :up:

gemini_snake
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby gemini_snake » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:34 pm

there are two bbqs this weekend in toronto. i've purchased tickets to the one being held by Islamic Relief Canada. i'm sure we will surpass what was raised in ottawa. :up:

samadoon-waaxid
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight
Location: telling Siilaanyo's daughter ictiraaf bed time stories

Postby samadoon-waaxid » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:37 pm

BBQ in the memory of the starving,brilliant.I have a better idea,how about they let those fat stupid kids starve for a day to appreciate what they have?

Richfarax
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen
Location: Extraordinary Intellect. Piercing Wit. Astronomically Rich.

Postby Richfarax » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:39 pm

BBQ in the memory of the starving,brilliant.I have a better idea,how about they let those fat stupid kids starve for a day to appreciate what they have?
They will feel hungry and remember the poor on a long, hot fast during Ramadhan.

Beans
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Beans » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:44 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if those criticizing have ever been involved in fund raising initiative. The bbq/food is a fraction of the cost of the ticket.

Pls share if u have a better way of getting a huge gathering to raise funds where food/refreshment isnt available for those attending.I would love to hear ur suggestions as we are currently planning more ways to raise funds.

We are having a dinner benefit next week,each ticket costs 20 dollars,all the food involved is either being made by hooyos in the community or being donated by Muslim restaurants.

While u wanna make those little innocent kids feel guilty,i wonder what u say for/to urself when u r eating ur heavy meals while there are starving kids.

samadoon-waaxid
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight
Location: telling Siilaanyo's daughter ictiraaf bed time stories

Postby samadoon-waaxid » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:02 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if those criticizing have ever been involved in fund raising initiative. The bbq/food is a fraction of the cost of the ticket.

Pls share if u have a better way of getting a huge gathering to raise funds where food/refreshment isnt available for those attending.I would love to hear ur suggestions as we are currently planning more ways to raise funds.

We are having a dinner benefit next week,each ticket costs 20 dollars,all the food involved is either being made by hooyos in the community or being donated by Muslim restaurants.

While u wanna make those little innocent kids feel guilty,i wonder what u say for/to urself when u r eating ur heavy meals while there are starving kids.
how about u guys ask the attendees to fast and break their fast at the event? or find any other way of making them experience hunger so these kids can actually get intrigued about the issue for the long run,and it might become an education/life changing experience for them

yungnfresh
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby yungnfresh » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:03 pm

On point.

If you're gonna criticize a fundraiser, you should have an alternative that raises the same amount of money or more. There's no way you're gonna convince hundreds of Somalis to show up somewhere they're not getting food or drinks and expect them to spend money. You gotta eat, you gotta drink...why not have the proceeds of that go to a noble cause?

Alchemist
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Alchemist » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:09 pm

Look at the face of the kid second to the far left :mrgreen:

As for the topic great job Ottawa Somalis. My favourite Somalis in all of Canada. :up:

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.