Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A Ramadan State of Mind

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
FAH1223
webmaster

A Ramadan State of Mind

Postby FAH1223 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:34 am

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/wajahat-a ... 15659.html

When Ramadan-ing, it's encouraged to have a Ramadan State of Mind.

It's a state of mind and state of body that is resilient to pain, longing, easy comfort and selfish desires.

An observer can easily perceive this month long fast as an exercise in masochism commanded by a sadistic Creator who enjoys denying his "trying-to-get-by worshippers" food, water, sex and bad etiquette from sunrise to sunset. To add insult to famine, we're also encouraged to increase our prayer -- as if the daily 5 prayer ritual wasn't enough -- and give charity despite being mired in one of the worst recessions since the Great Depression.

The Usual Ramadan Wikipedia Posts

Your usual "Ramadan" blog posts give you a quick Wikipedia facts update on how this is the 9th month in the Islamic lunar calendar in which the Quran was revealed to Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him). Upon sighting the new moon, Muslim communities worldwide become spiritually charged avatars of ascetic awesomeness immersed in reflection, forgiveness,prayer, reconciliation and generosity.

1.5 billion Muslims magically transform overnight and jettison their messy, imperfect, human emotional baggage, because that's the miraculous power of Ramadan and being Muslim!

We become Yodas with kufis and Splinters in thobes. We are Mr. Miyagis and Morgan Freemans dispensing calm, sage advice and composing ourselves elegantly like a stereotypical ascetic monk only seen in Hollywood movies as quiet Asian men in robes.

This, my friends, is not reality.

Most of us spend at least half the month complaining about being Muslim and flirting with the idea that maybe worshipping fire (Zoroastrianism) isn't such a bad gig.

The Nostalgia of Old Men

A few days ago I sat with a bunch of friends at Ma's Halal Chinese Restaurant in San Jose talking about the upcoming month of fasting.

We're all old men now, mostly in our early 30's, and gone are the days when we thought hair would last forever or we'd be able to sustain a 6 pack. Some of us have wives and kids, and mostly all carry a one-pack gut. We are good folks just trying to get by and we fondly remember the glory years when we could play basketball for 3 hours without stretching and then eat 2 slices of Blondie Pizzas and stay up for most of the night playing video games and still function with 2 hours of sleep.

"Man, it kinda sucks being Muslim. Islam really ruins my life sometimes," I complained.

"Word. This Ramadan is gonna' be brutal. Morning prayer is like at 4:50 am, then we have to go to work, then we break our fast at 8:45 pm," a friend replied.

"Maybe you can trick Allah and move to Australia. They open fast at 5 pm. Or, just travel all month and you can do a write-off and make it up during the Winter," another friend added.

"I thought about it, but I think Allah knows this stuff. F my life. Anyway, inshallah (God willing), it'll be ok."

"Yeah, I guess. At least there will be some bomb-ass iftars." That was the group consensus: at least there will be some "bomb-ass iftars."

Annoying Muslims

Then, there's the Muslims. They annoy the hell out of me. Islam would be far more pleasant if it had less Muslims. Really. Sometimes I feel like being Reverend Lovejoy of The Simpsons and suggesting other religions to the Ned Flanders of our communities.

We Muslims are obsessed with Unity for some reason, but can only unify on how much disunity exists within our communities. For the first time in years, every community is starting their fast on the same day. Some of you are asking, "Why? Don't you all start at the beginning of the Islamic month?"

Well, there are two camps. I refer to them as "Moonies" and "Computer God Muslims." The former say we have to see the new moon with the naked eye and only then we can officially begin Ramadan. The latter camp says we should rely on technology and if the new moon rises, despite being visible to the human eye, then we are officially a "go" for Ramadan.

Naturally, these two camps rarely agree thus resulting in major social awkwardness when telling our bosses, "Yeah, I might have to take either Tuesday or Wednesday off for Eid in a month. I'll let you know in a bit. Yeah, it's a Muslim thing. Just...trust me."

But, fortuitously, this year "Moonies" and "Computer God Muslims" apparently made a truce with a celestial power, saw the crescent moon the same night, and now we're all on the same schedule. Sweet!

Optimus Prime Muslims

But, sadly, this unity means bumping into more "Optimus Prime Muslims." These are Muslims who transform during Ramadan - and only during Ramadan - into obnoxious, religious blowhards and completely change their personality and behavior traits for 30 days only to de-evolve into the same exact human being immediately on Eid, the day celebrating the end of fasting.

These guys stop listening to music, watching tv, logging on facebook, reading magazines and the whole shabang. Now, I have no problem with this. Go forth and free thyself from these technological crutches that have paralyzed human interactions, I say! However, I do have a problem with Optimus Prime Muslims lecturing me for being a heathen for occasionally watching a Netflix flick or catching a re-run of Dexter.

"You watch movies during RAMADAN!?!? Wow...ok, maybe we were...raised...differently. Well, Allah is Merciful...I guess."

Listen, I don't drink, do drugs, beat people up, snort cocaine off of strippers' bellies, gamble or even know what bacon tastes like. Life is hard for a practicing Muslim. Relent. Give a brother some instant Netflix. That's all I'm asking.

We also have family and friends. Ah, yes. Family and friends - how can we forget them: the cause and solution to so much of life's joys and pain.

Machiavellian Strategy

Before Ramadan, each married couple or family unit strategically "claims" out a weekend in advance during Ramadan to host their Iftar party. You have to quickly send your Facebook evite, because those slots fill up damn quick. What happens when you have competing iftar parties? Where do you go? Whom do you choose?

This puts many of us in some serious, sticky social situations. You need to dust off Machiavelli's Prince and get prepared. It's like being a Senator in Old Rome - an environment filled with intrigue, strategy, partial deception and sycophantic pleasantry -but, sadly, no nudity.

The State of The World

And, of course, the ongoing depressing state of the world reminds us daily that perhaps Armageddon is around the corner and the four horsemen of the Apocalypse will probably be wearing GAP and starring in their own reality TV show.

We just emerged from a debt ceiling crisis that might destroy our economic future. There is famine, civil war, and violence throughout the world.

A hate-filled bigot killed 76 people, mostly youth, in Norway.

Haiti, Pakistan and Japan are still recovering from some of the worst natural disasters in modern history.

People were promised bright futures and jobs only to land in their parents' homes which is about to be foreclosed by a bank that received a bailout and gave record bonuses to its executives.

And, the shadow of 9-11 looms in the horizon.

So, how am I supposed to have a Ramadan State of Mind?

So, why do I keep doing this year after year? After all, there is no compulsion in my religion. I can easily snack on a tasty burger and wash it down with a sugary coke while my fellow Muslims slog through the heat. I don't have to pray or be charitable or reconcile with loved ones or forgive my enemies or myself. I can be flippant, rude, mean, selfish and brash, and simply "tell it like it is" instead of exercising restraint, moderation and patience.

It's all about perspective and appreciating the journey. The experience when framed by the proper intention always makes me a stronger, resilient and more spiritually balanced individual.

Really, each and every Ramadan, there's always a net positive.

Yes, the shadow of 9-11 looms and it seems America has gone cray-cray with extremist rhetoric, hate speech, divisiveness, and Islamophobia, with 2012 Republican Presidential candidates, such as Herman Cain, recommending banning mosques and denying Muslim Americans their constitutionally protected rights.

Yes, some "Muslims" around the world are still hijacking our faith to rationalize their perverse, criminal actions of hate and terror. Yes, Americans are suffering from uncertainty, confusion and economic hardship. There is a war in Afghanistan, Pakistan is exploding, and Iraq has yet to heal. The world is reeling from environmental tragedies.

Madness seems to be Kool-Aid of the day.

But, the Ramadan State of Mind allows me to see this as an opportunity - to push things forward and evolve as an individual, as a community and as a society. Instead of reacting with hate, despair and nihilism, this month allows us to ask for Allah's Mercy and blessings.

It puts me in a spiritual zone where I'm allowed and encouraged to hope.

My hunger is temporary but in the long term I gain awareness and empathy. I starve myself of the world and hope to taste something sweeter.

Yes, the transformer Muslims annoy the hell out of me, but I know they're simply trying their best to do what's right in their own obnoxious way. Sure, I have to engage in Machiavellian strategy to save face when I ditch Iftar parties, but I'm grateful to have friends and family who love me enough to share their happiness with me.

And the world has been mad since it was born, but I cannot carry its burdens on my shoulders alone.

All I can do is try the best I can with the time I have. And sometimes that time comes packaged in 30 days where fasting might seem like an exercise in masochism to the world. But, observe closely, because sometimes - sometimes - you can see that worshiper smile despite the hunger, thirst, and exhaustion.

That person has a Ramadan State of Mind.

I hope to be fortunate enough to taste what he's having for Ramadan.

And it just may be that resilience and hope are the main courses on the menu.

AhmedBoqor
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Re: A Ramadan State of Mind

Postby AhmedBoqor » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:01 am

"Give a brother some instant netflix"

Lmao, story of my life. I was reading a book while cooking some malawax today and I had a couple of ladies look at me like "oh, maad quraanka iska aqriisa." When I knew darn well they had been at the habar version of pre-ramadan jams :lol: it's not like it wouldnt be better for me to put down the novel and pick up the quran lakiin amaan daadka ina leh siiyo waye, :lol: it's not like i was reading king magazine.
I say be patient, there is ajar in that I believe :up:

ciyaal_warta
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby ciyaal_warta » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:50 am

great article looooooooolz @ Optimus Prime Muslims :lol: they are alott of them here in my endz :lol:

my only problem in this ramadan that i lost my patience no sabar at all :x

BlackVelvet
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby BlackVelvet » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:07 am

So this is a common problem. I thought most people are calm, especially when they are in the middle of listening to Quran!!

ciyaal_warta
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby ciyaal_warta » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:17 am

So this is a common problem. I thought most people are calm, especially when they are in the middle of listening to Quran!!
yap this a common problem no sabar at all..due to the gaajo and the heat abaayo sabar iyo ani waa is daaynaa..the other thing i feeel like i dont wana talk and i give straight insult to anybody that keep talking to me :lol: :down:

and blve am not the only one almost everyone i know is like that :down:

BlackVelvet
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby BlackVelvet » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:22 am

Waa yaab walee. I would stay away from people and everyone knows not to come near me lakin I can't bring myself to raise my voice or insult someone. Energy-gaas intee ka keentiin?

FAH1223
webmaster

Postby FAH1223 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:31 am

This guy was trying to fight me on the basketball court the other day. I started playing like an hour before afur cause I really wanted to play.

So I block a couple of his shots near the basket, he drives by me for a dunk. I make a shot over him on the other end.

Then we're going back down the court and he just wants to start a fight :lol: good thing I was fasting and then my squad won the game

ciyaal_warta
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby ciyaal_warta » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:08 am

Waa yaab walee. I would stay away from people and everyone knows not to come near me lakin I can't bring myself to raise my voice or insult someone. Energy-gaas intee ka keentiin?
energy markii dagaal kali rabtid ma la waayo...aniga adiga oo dagaal iyo caay lagu daray lee ahay..everyone knows me now no one comes near me :lol:

BlackVelvet
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby BlackVelvet » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:09 pm

:down: :lol: Dadka aktaada joogo Ilaahey ha u gargaaro

Shirib
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Shirib » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:20 pm

great article looooooooolz @ Optimus Prime Muslims :lol: they are alott of them here in my endz :lol:

I think I'm more patient.I try to give people the benefit of doubt and generally try to be nicer during Ramadan

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.