Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The role of Somali women in the Military

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
Coeus
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Assisting the Mujahideen in Galgala to free their region

The role of Somali women in the Military

Postby Coeus » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:10 am

Gender No Barrier for Serving the Country

Female Soldier

The emergence of warlords and prolonged conflict in Somalia has forced Somali women to join the army and fight for Somalia. The women, whose ages vary, opted to join hands with their male counterparts and free Somalia from the hands of the warlords and insurgent groups.

The Somali female soldiers say that they will fight alongside their husbands, brothers and sons until Somalia is free from foreign and dictatorial intervention.

Somalia Report spent time with the female fighters on the Mogadishu frontlines.

Fighting for country

Leyla Yunis, a corporal in the TFG army at Ex-control Afgoye, dressed in full military gear and an AK 47 on her back, spoke as she inspected a car.

Leyla joined the force in 2000 as a volunteer and wanted to fight the warlords who were frustrating peace and security of Somalia with an ambition of becoming one of the few women to fight for peace in Somalia at this delicate time. Leyla’s main task now is to inspect vehicles and interrogate suspicious looking characters at the strategic check point.

Leyla, a mother of six, says that she joined the force not only to protect her motherland but to raise her family since her husband died in fighting between tribal militias in Mogadishu.

‘‘My children depend on me and I must provide for them: Somalia is not a safe place for children and I need to take good care of them so that they may not be deceived into joining the enemy, I hope to provide my children a decent livelihood just like their late father would have done for them’’ she told Somalia Report.

Female Soldiers

Leyla resides in Waberi district of the capital Mogadishu in a cheap rented two-room house with no running water. Leyla says that the economic hardship has had a heavy toll on her and she has to live with the ‘peanuts’ that she gets for a salary at the end of the month.

“All that is not important, as long as I work for the people and the republic of Somalia: despite the meager salary, I shall tie up my laces and fight the war to the end,” she said.

Leyla, 46, has undergone full training and is an infantry soldier with techniques in ambush, troop guidance and fight coordination and receives a basic salary of $200 USD.

Discrimination from fellow men colleagues

Amina, 42, is also a TFG military corporal stationed a few meters from the district office of Bondhere, trained in ambush and coordination of attacks. Amina, a mother of four, says that she and her husband both serve and she has no regrets about making that decision.

‘‘Despite the discrimination I endure from my male colleagues, I still work to better my country, my people and my society at large’’ Amina said.

Amina says that the men perceive her as inferior, but she puts all this aside and carries out her duties.

The female soldier in Somalia was perceived by the society as one that had gone astray, but with times changing the Somali community finally accepted hundreds of Somali ladies who joined the Somali government forces in all sectors.

Leyla and Amina are both soldiers who have suffered serious bullet wounds.

“Al-Shabaab opened fire on us, with one of the bullets hitting my ankle and another one my thigh: I managed to escape after my fellow soldiers carried me and my loaded gun on the back,’’ Amina said.

Alchemist
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Re: The role of Somali women in the Military

Postby Alchemist » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:13 am

The only war a women should fight in is the kitchen. :rose:

Coeus
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Coeus » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:14 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Or in the bed.

Alchemist
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Alchemist » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:14 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Or in the bed.
did i beat you to it :lol:

Coeus
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Coeus » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:17 am

Nah i just thought your was funny so i naturally agreed :lol:

XaliimoFarax
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby XaliimoFarax » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:21 am

Unfortunately our men are either dead, chewing or stealing so the ladies are left to do the man's job. 8-)

I salute u brave women.

ComeGetMe

Postby ComeGetMe » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:22 am

typical men talk

Beenaale_No1
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Beenaale_No1 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:23 am

I support this movement. :up:

Our women are a vital part of the fabric of our society. :heart:

ComeGetMe

Postby ComeGetMe » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:23 am

Unfortunately our men are either dead, chewing or stealing so the ladies are left to do the man's job. 8-)

I salute u brave women.
:D :D :D u tll em sistah

Coeus
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Coeus » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:29 am

I salute u brave women.
:D :D :D u tll em sistah
He is a man...

Beenaale_No1
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Beenaale_No1 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:31 am

She's a woman I think.

DANGIRL
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby DANGIRL » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:31 am

Lol, they all look well into their 40s. :roll:

ONLF female fighters. :clap:

Coeus
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Coeus » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:32 am

She might be both who knows :mrgreen:

XaliimoFarax
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby XaliimoFarax » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:32 am

Coeus why r u hating? Is it cos I said u sheegato? :D

Armstrong
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby Armstrong » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:35 am

Are you telling me a woman can fire RPG let alone Ogaden woman who are said to be are the most feminine?

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.