Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RAPED, STERILISED BY THE STATE AGAINST HER WILL AT 13 !!!!!!

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
Daanyeer
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Posts: 15781
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2003 7:00 pm
Location: Beer moos ku yaallo .biyuhuna u muuqdaan

RAPED, STERILISED BY THE STATE AGAINST HER WILL AT 13 !!!!!!

Postby Daanyeer » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:56 am

Raped by a criminal, sterilised by the state against her will at 13: Woman 'butchered' by US doctors speaks out

By Daily Mail Reporter

8th November 2011


North Carolina officials have tracked down less than three dozen of the thousands of residents forced to undergo sterilisations between 1929 and 1974.

And among them stands Elaine Riddick, who was 13-years-old when she got pregnant after being raped by a neighbour in her hometown of Winfall in 1967.

The state, she says, ordered that immediately after giving birth doctors cut and tied of her fallopian tubes.

The Charlotte Observer reports that state officials believe at least 1,500 of the 7,600 people sterilized under a state program are still alive. But only 41 files have been matched to living survivors or relatives of the dead.

The Eugenics Board approved sterilizations for people who suffered from mental illness, epilepsy and those with low intelligence.

Ms Riddick said she was never told what was happening after a five-person state eugenics board in Raleigh approved a recommendation that she be sterilised.


She told MSNBC: 'Got to the hospital and they put me in a room and that’s all I remember, that’s all I remember,' she said. 'When I woke up, I woke up with bandages on my stomach.'
According to the network, records label Ms Riddick as 'feebleminded' and 'promiscuous'.

Despite this, she went on to raise the son she had before the horrific procedure, graduated college and became a successful entrepreneur.



It wasn't until she was 19, when she and her husband set out to start a family, that she learned she was unable to have more children.

'Butchered. The doctor used that word... I didn’t understand what she meant when she said I had been butchered,' Ms Riddick said.

The scars, she said, are a constant reminder.

'I have to live with this for the rest of my life,' she added.

North Carolina was one of 31 states to have a government run eugenics program. Most were abolished after World War II.

State officials are now considering compensating survivors.


The Governor's Eugenics Compensation Task Force, created in March, recommended in August the state should pay for mental health services for the fewer than 2,000 of the nearly 7,600 residents forcibly sterilised from 1929 to 1974 who are believed to be still alive.

The preliminary report did not settle on an amount for financial damages. The task force said it had discussed providing between $20,000 and $50,000 to each verified living victim and recognized an 'urgent need' to move forward.

The task force acknowledged that 'no amount of money can replace or give value to what has been done to nearly 7,600 people - men, women, boys, girls, African Americans, whites, American Indians, the poor, undereducated, and disabled - who our state and its citizens judged, targeted, and labelled 'morons,' 'unfit,' and 'feebleminded.'"

If payments are ultimately approved, North Carolina would become the first state to do more than apologise for forced sterilizations, which were popular in the United States during the 1930s, the task force said.

A final report is due in six months.


Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z1d7MYE61N

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.

  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General - General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 61 guests