Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Arab names or Somali names?

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
Estarix
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Re: Arab names or Somali names?

Postby Estarix » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:08 pm

Adali U would promote the nicknames but digusted by normal Arabic names? Do u realize,most if not all Somali nick names are designed to make fun of the person.
Thats good as then we can all make fun of eachother. :P

Atleast the names are Somali at the end of the day.

Beans
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Beans » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:10 pm

Adali U would promote the nicknames but digusted by normal Arabic names? Do u realize,most if not all Somali nick names are designed to make fun of the person.

I dont think the kid being called Afey/madaxey feels happy abt it.

Alphanumeric
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Alphanumeric » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:11 pm

Oh, I thought I added that as an exception. Must've just thought it really hard.

But what of similar names, in different languages?
Names such as Waaq translate into "god" right? i dont really see how it could be wrong to be honest.
I'm only questionable about it, being unsure of what "Waaq" actually refers to. If I had a complete understanding of pre-Islam Somali beliefs, then I would be easier to conclude whether it was acceptable or not, personally speaking. From what I know, "Waaq" was a reference to a holistic god found within every part of existence. But I could be wrong.

A nickname that's intended to insult? I don't know about that.

Adali
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Throw me to the hyenas and I will return laughing as the pack leader.

Postby Adali » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:14 pm

not in my family, the nick name is given to the person based on their character and/or reaction to a event/situation, my uncle had his nicknamed changed, he addressed it in a family meeting, his initial nick name was given to him when he was 16, he was extremely shy and stuttered a lot, now he is very outspoken person and they changed the nickname and had a nice feast. This is how my family do things, we don't have a nickname council or anything, it is just part of tradition, I remember when I was 10 years old, every elder who visited my dad would ask me if I had a nickname, when I said no, they laughed, And I understand why now, because the nickname giver is honored, the precise and accurate nickname giver will become famous and also feared, everyone will watch their step around him.

Alphanumeric

so what, I clearly posted the names I condoned, Quranic(Ibrahim), Islamic(Ali), Islamic/Somalized(Abdirahman) and of course our own Somali names.

Estarix
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Estarix » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:14 pm

I dont think the kid being called Afey/madaxey feels happy abt it.
Then the parents should find a different name.

Alphanumeric
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Alphanumeric » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:16 pm

Alphanumeric

so what, I clearly posted the names I condoned, Quranic(Ibrahim), Islamic(Ali), Islamic/Somalized(Abdirahman) and of course our own Somali names.
What makes one Arab name worse than the other? Why Aweys and not Hamid or Jabir?

Estarix
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Estarix » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:17 pm

Pure Arabic names that has no Quranic influence or Somali influence are just plain disgusting to me, I find more and more girls have these weird names and I tend to dislike it, especially if they are mix raced.
What about Sahaaba? And what does being mixed have to do with it?

Beans,

Abshir is Arabic.
Yeah... What does mixed race have to do with it :?

Beans
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Beans » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:20 pm

Estarix They do,they called them Abdirahman and Abdullahi.Call them by their names.

Adali
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Adali » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:25 pm

The less the Sahaaba is known the less I will like the name, I'm sorry but that is just how it is, ethnicities, languages, territories meet so of course there are names that are used by both, but for hundreds of years Aweys was used and on top of that according to you it is Sahaabas name, now let us not blow open the door for all Arab names because of this.

btw: I am getting a negative vibe from you. Do you have an arabic name, because if you do Urrgh, when I say I cannot respect a man with a foreign name, I totally mean it with all my heart. Just thinking about it gives me shivers, imagine a fully grown Somali man with an Arabic name ?? speaking Somali to him and calling him, it will not be pleasant.

Estarix
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Estarix » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:27 pm

Estarix They do,they called them Abdirahman and Abdullahi.Call them by their names.
Nothing wrong with that, but i meant they could go for a less insulting Somali name like Guuled, Samatar?

Adali
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Adali » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:28 pm

Pure Arabic names that has no Quranic influence or Somali influence are just plain disgusting to me, I find more and more girls have these weird names and I tend to dislike it, especially if they are mix raced.
What about Sahaaba? And what does being mixed have to do with it?

Beans,

Abshir is Arabic.
Yeah... What does mixed race have to do with it :?
**especially if they aren't mix raced

because if you are fully Somali and you have an Arab name it is Odd to me, if you are half-Arab and your mother named you after her relative "arabic name" than that is understandable, mix-raced people in this case are exempt, after all they are only mixed and not full blooded.

Beans
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Beans » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:30 pm

Nothing wrong with that, but i meant they could go for a less insulting Somali name like Guuled, Samatar?

I dont get it.Why is an Arab name insulting?

Alphanumeric
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Alphanumeric » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:31 pm

The less the Sahaaba is known the less I will like the name, I'm sorry but that is just how it is, ethnicities, languages, territories meet so of course there are names that are used by both, but for hundreds of years Aweys was used and on top of that according to you it is Sahaabas name, now let us not blow open the door for all Arab names because of this.

btw: I am getting a negative vibe from you. Do you have an arabic name, because if you do Urrgh, when I say I cannot respect a man with a foreign name, I totally mean it with all my heart. Just thinking about it gives me shivers, imagine a fully grown Somali man with an Arabic name ?? speaking Somali to him and calling him, it will not be pleasant.
You see the problem is just that, where to draw the line? It becomes entirely a personal matter then, if there are no set parameters. And what you're saying makes no sense. Why hate someone, simply because of the name they were given? It's not as if they had a hand in the matter. Though, what bothers me are the not-so-bright Somalis who go out of their way to let others know they choose to go by an Arab name as opposed to the name they were given. I wonder if this is even halaal.

And my name is no more Arab than what you've suggested is found in your family and lineage.

Estarix
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Estarix » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:42 pm

I dont get it.Why is an Arab name insulting?
No from madaxey to a less insulting Somali name.

ModerateMuslim
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby ModerateMuslim » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:58 pm

somali brainwashed western sheep hate islam this much!

screw backward somali fufu names. it's insult to compare them to the names associated with sahaba (ra).

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.