Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Arab names or Somali names?

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
Alphanumeric
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Re: Arab names or Somali names?

Postby Alphanumeric » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:35 pm

Pure Arabic names that has no Quranic influence or Somali influence are just plain disgusting to me, I find more and more girls have these weird names and I tend to dislike it, especially if they are mix raced.
What about Sahaaba? And what does being mixed have to do with it?

Beans,

Abshir is Arabic.

Beans
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Beans » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:39 pm

Oh bummer. Always thought it was original Somali name like Warsame.

Adali
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Throw me to the hyenas and I will return laughing as the pack leader.

Postby Adali » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:41 pm

If the Sahaaba was very famous like Khalid, Hamsa, Abdullah(Abubakar), Ali etc those I condone, but you see I do not like Arabic names, that is why i spit on those who are named Talib, Khattab. Caffan etc these are Arabic names and are completely foreign to me, what use are they to me, I am Somali. I respect man named, Shirwac or Gullayd, Geedi, Jaamac etc than these names. I can name pure Arab names only a few, but pure Somali names I can name 20 in heart beat, you see the difference. Arabic names are shitty and I don't mind saying that. Yuck. :down:

Alphanumeric
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Alphanumeric » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:44 pm

I guess it depends on what you're used to hearing.

As long as the meaning of the name is admirable or interesting, it's cultural background matters little to me.

Estarix
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Estarix » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:47 pm

If the Sahaaba was very famous like Khalid, Hamsa, Abdullah(Abubakar), Ali etc those I condone, but you see I do not like Arabic names, that is why i spit on those who are named Talib, Khattab. Caffan etc these are Arabic names and are completely foreign to me, what use are they to me, I am Somali. I respect man named, Shirwac or Gullayd, Geedi, Jaamac etc than these names. I can name pure Arab names only a few, but pure Somali names I can name 20 in heart beat, you see the difference. Arabic names are shitty and I don't mind saying that. Yuck. :down:
:up:
Names such as Khattab and Caffan are rare anyways. Somalis (like other Muslim Non Arabs do) name themselfes the more popular names such as Khalid, Faisal, Mustafa, Mustafa, Saeed...

waryaa
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby waryaa » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:51 pm

I am with Adali on this. A lot of ppl mix Islam with Arab names/culture and will call you mutrad/infidel when challenged. No need to mix the two - We are Muslims but NOT Arabs.

Estarix
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Estarix » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:56 pm

Murtad/Infidel :lol:

Alphanumeric
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Alphanumeric » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:59 pm

I don't know of such a thing as an "Islamic name". Names are judged by their meanings, not their references. There are some scholars who've said if you don't know the meaning of a name, you shouldn't use it to name a child, regardless of it's reference. Names like "Yasin", for one, has a meaning no one knows, but it's often used, especially by Somalis. Now, what are the meaning of Somali names? It seems the majority of them are simply adjectives, but those I'm most questionable about include references to "Waaq". Should they be as acceptable?

And what are names, anyway? Many Arabic names have varying origins.

Estarix
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Estarix » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:00 pm

I don't know of such a thing as an "Islamic name". Names are judged by their meanings, not their references. There are some scholars who've said if you don't know the meaning of a name, you shouldn't use it to name a child, regardless of it's reference. Names like "Yasin", for one, has a meaning no one knows, but it's often used, especially by Somalis. Now, what are the meaning of Somali names? It seems the majority of them are simply adjectives, but those I'm most questionable about include references to "Waaq". Should they be as acceptable?

And what are names, anyway? Many Arabic names have varying origins.

ISlamic names would be names such as Abdiraxmaaan which is one of the 99 names of god and it means servant/slave of Allah.

Alphanumeric
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Alphanumeric » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:02 pm

Oh, I thought I added that as an exception. Must've just thought it really hard.

But what of similar names, in different languages?
Last edited by Alphanumeric on Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adali
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Throw me to the hyenas and I will return laughing as the pack leader.

Postby Adali » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:02 pm

I guess it depends on what you're used to hearing.

As long as the meaning of the name is admirable or interesting, it's cultural background matters little to me.
well I don't mind meeting an arab woman/man with an interesting name, the only condition then would be if it was Xalaal or not. That is the difference, I like to travel and I love to meet new interesting people, but to see a Somali named "something arabic" will utterly astound me, I will feel ashamed and disgusted, I will go through phases of denial and confusion. Why not call yourself Aweys, it is very simple. I thank God my parents named me a Somali name. I have pure Somali, Islamic/Somalized-Arabic(AbdiRahman) and Quranic(Ibrahim) names in my lineages and family members, this is what I am comfortable with. It does not mean I hate Arabic names, I just don't understand Somalis with strange Arab names that have no Quranic/Islamic bases, why ?? It is like meeting a 20 year old Somali in Newyork who is called Smith, I don't agree with that.

Somali nicknames are probably the most interesting and creative ones in the world, every child should get a nickname, I didn't get mine until I was 14, some people get theirs when they are much older though. This I not only condone but promote. :up:

Alphanumeric
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Alphanumeric » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:05 pm

"Aweys" is an Arab name lol. Referencing a sahaba.

Beans
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Beans » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:05 pm

Adali U would promote the nicknames but digusted by normal Arabic names? Do u realize,most if not all Somali nick names are designed to make fun of the person.
Last edited by Beans on Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The_Emperior5
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Suldaanka Guud beelaha reer Sheikh isxaaq Bani Axmed Bani Hashiim. In the republic of Soliziland

Postby The_Emperior5 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:06 pm

Arab names 100% :up: :sland:

Estarix
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Estarix » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:07 pm

Oh, I thought I added that as an exception. Must've just thought it really hard.

But what of similar names, in different languages?
Names such as Waaq translate into "god" right? i dont really see how it could be wrong to be honest.

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.