Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The plight of Somalis in Diaspora

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
mody21
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Re: The plight of Somalis in Diaspora

Postby mody21 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:44 pm

I really don't know where to begin. Somalis in the diaspora, or at least those whom I have had the unfortunate luck to have lived with have been nothing but bunch of useless good for nothing people. The so called Somali community usually consist of old, uneducated somali men whose motive for being there is to get a check at the end of every week. They do nothing to help the struggling families. They wake up in the morning and get in the community office and discuss 'reer hebel baa bari reer hebel wasay' and numerous other useless shyt. Their whole discourses are, mostly if NOT all the time, chained in one direction and that's the direction of qabiil. They don't offer any community guidance to the strving students, no help to the new arrivers, no help to anyone whatsoever. They're happy with getting a check of $300 every friday. The common people are also as useless as the community leaders. The best of business you'll see somalis establish are xawaalad and makhaayad which are both confined to the somalis. Kan ogu fiican baa laga yaabaa inuu meel tax return ah furto, and even that's only seasonal. In an area that's highly populated by somalis(70k or above) you'll seldom meet a doctor or an engineer. It feels like all that they've left for is to collect welfare from the DES and the best amongst us, to open a coffee shop. :x
yeah wallahi here in Minneapolis I see alot of hope especially from the youth, I see alot of politically involved somali teen who want to make a difference there is always that dependency on welfare and aid but from what I have seen wallahi somalis arent doing bad at all. FYI I have three engineers in my family I also have two doctors and an older brother with an MBA, who is getting involved in politics soon. I am also intending to acquire an MCE (master of civil engineering) and a MURP (master of urban and regional planing) if I have the financial means I will also pursue a doctoral degree . Me and my cousins are also starting a new business this summer. I am sure I am not the only case I have seen at least ten engineers that are the same clan as me in MPLS, I have also seen alot of Masters holder one brother I know personally is currently finishing up his MBA. I have also seen alot of successful sister more so than the brothers. The future looks bright :clap: :clap: :clap:

Beans
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Beans » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:46 pm

Alpha.sometimes,the application depends solely on the person helping fill it up.When someone is claimed a refugee status,they need a valid reason why they cant go back and usually involves how they got here.Their acceptance depends on what they say on their initial application.Since most cant read or write,it is up to the settlement agency worker to do it.

I dont know what the exception is but i know refugee claimants have dental and drug coverage and i dont. :lol:

DisplacedDiraac
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Nobody said it'd be easy.. they just promised it'd be worth it...

Postby DisplacedDiraac » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:50 pm

Most Somalis are in the west because it offers them peace and stability,not for honey and milk.
That was the group who fled to the west in the late 80s and early-mid 90s..
A large percentage of the ones coming to the west now especially the ones from the more stable regions and the middle east are indeed looking for honey, milk and precious gems.
Life in Somali is very difficulty and in most of Africa and lack of peace doesnt help their plight.

I am sure most of us would rather be here,struggling than struggling there.
Without a question..

But the problem with Somalis *Africans* is that even the wealthy ones will give up everything to come to the west.
From what I've seen even the ones who have had it good back home are tahriibing to the west, cos they think life is more rosy.
I have several relatives who lived like kings back home who have given up everything and turned a deaf ear to numerous facts they've been told about the west..
Once they get here and reality hits them in the face its too late to head back home.. Some of these people now seem suicidal and beyond repair..

The_Patriot
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby The_Patriot » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:51 pm

It depends theytry to assist where necessary but most of the time you are on your own if all other channels are exhausted.
Furthermore those organisations survive on pretending to offer assistance thats how they are given grants by the government and other donors.some of them can be heartless and racist.
Are these Somali specific organizations?

When it comes to status, isn't it simply a "fill out a government application and wait" issue? I would assume whether or not statuses and permits are permitted depends on the government handling the application.

It sounds as if the problem lies within these so-called assistance organizations. What do they actually do? And how do they continuing receiving grants, if don't actually provide any help? Shouldn't their be feedback mechanisms determining if grants should be issued? But my guess is governments are too lazy to do that.

Pat,

It seems like governments in EU are the problem, rather than organizations that claim to provide services. Judging from your post, that is.
Forget about somali organisations they are mostly unethical and inexperienced and care about trying to get the best way of increasing the grants they get from the govt.

As for the Govts it may be bureaucracy or the party in power who have different policies regarding to qaxooti.

filling out the papers is just the beginning. cos at times it might take a year or more to get a response and when the response is a negative decision thats another case altogether.
But one you fill the papers you need to apply for assistance to be accommodated and supported. Incase you receive a negative decision all your support terminates and life starts being unbearable as you have no legal right to work and things can get out of hand if you become sick as you might not get medical help.

One thing I realised is churches offer to help these kinds of people. I have never seen a mosque initiating such projects.

fighter
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby fighter » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:56 pm

Somalis in the west (some of them) should be ashamed of themselves.

They don't use their opportunities. There's no reason for Somalis to have a 40% high school drop our rate in Toronto. No reason.

Sickening. The children r becoming worst off then their refugee parents.

Alphanumeric
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Alphanumeric » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:58 pm

Admittedly, there's a lot I don't understand about these issues.

If someone is denied status, and can't work, but requires support and accommodations, it seems to me they're stuck in a loophole. Accommodation and a method of tackling bureaucracy is what's needed, I guess.

Pat, you're asking quite a bit, I think. The most effective means is probably lobbying politicians and getting these supposed aid organizations/centers to do the job they're paid to do, or replacing them with more effective means. Problem is, refugees generally require far more resources than they put out.

Somalis in the west (some of them) should be ashamed of themselves.

They don't use their opportunities. There's no reason for Somalis to have a 40% high school drop our rate in Toronto. No reason.

Sickening. The children r becoming worst off then their refugee parents.
When it comes to people who've been given status and accommodation, their's little excuse.

Too many kids, too little care. That seems to be the problem.

Based
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Based » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:06 pm

Wallahi I have friends whose families lived pretty well in Somaliland and Djibouti who pretty much sold everything to come live in a tiny apartment in the U.S. Actually now that I think about it, I know a lot of West Africans who did the same.

They'd be considered economic migrants and although the U.S. does have greater opportunities in regards to education and employment, if you're already living well what's really the point, especially if you're having trouble getting documentation.

A lot of the West Africans I know came here with student visas and marry AAs for a green card :lol:

Alphanumeric
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Alphanumeric » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:10 pm

Wallahi I have friends whose families lived pretty well in Somaliland and Djibouti who pretty much sold everything to come live in a tiny apartment in the U.S. Actually now that I think about it, I know a lot of West Africans who did the same.

They'd be considered economic migrants and although the U.S. does have greater opportunities in regards to education and employment, if you're already living well what's really the point, especially if you're having trouble getting documentation.

A lot of the West Africans I know came here with student visas and marry AAs for a green card :lol:

Folks coming to Canada on student visas just as a means of entering the country is common here. A lot of international students from India do this. I also know of a few folks from KSA who've done this, but not all have succeeded in getting permanent/immigrant status.

Sagaashan
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Sagaashan » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:17 pm

at times when i see gangs and others falling far behind the 'american dream' i ask myself the wisdom behind people coming here. you have people that are living in conditions far worse than they did in Kenya. you have people that are living in small units with greater number of occupants. they have no work and are not interested in finding one. the ones that go into gang or ask you for some money are even worse. qabil kills and it also lets people live. these people are only able to float b/c their is someone somewhere who says 'war waa ninkii reer hebel yuusan gaajo u dhiman' :down:

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.