Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

On the Front Lines in the Dental Wars

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
Grant
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

On the Front Lines in the Dental Wars

Postby Grant » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:28 am

This video is a treat for me as it demonstrates several aspects of the new dental technology. I have an implant myself, but never expected to see one like this in an American Bald Eagle, whose beak was blown away by a shotgun blast to her face. At this point, this usage is still experimental, but I can imagine many uses for similar procedures in the future to treat the wounds of human war.

DayaxJeclee
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Re: On the Front Lines in the Dental Wars

Postby DayaxJeclee » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:30 pm

Dental? anyway surgical medicine already uses prosthetic ,such as implant and human dermal prosthetic .

Nice video :up:

Arabmann
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Arabmann » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:53 am

I have an implant myself
Does it feel and function like a normal teeth?

Grant
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Grant » Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:15 pm

TAM,

Pretty much. The first go developed a cyst and we lost it at cementation of the first crown. The surgeon went in the second time at an angle in order to grab bone behind the original site. This left less than the usual width to restore with a second crown. What I ended up making was a third bicuspid, rather than a molar. The positioning is a bit weird because of bone loss at the implant/socket, but it balances my bite and gives me full first molar occlusion. Its solid as a rock and I am only aware of it if I am biting very hard on something that is itself very hard. I very much recommend implants over bridges or removable partial dentures. But it took over two years to complete mine and would have cost anyone else about $5K to complete.

I should mention that teeth and implants are in no way the same. Teeth "float" in tissue inside the bone of the jaw. Bone actually grows into the structure of an implant and becomes integral with it. It does not float, with the consequence that you do not have the same kind of proprioception you have with your natural teeth. For one thing, you do not have a good sense of the pressure you are putting on an implant, but I don't notice that it makes a lot of difference.

I am blown away by the glue they used in the video to attach the fixture to the bird's beak. The flexural pressure on both the fixture and the interface with the beak has to be enormous. My experience has been that exterior prosthetic pieces on humans have been secured either with existing anatomical undercuts or with attachments to implants in bone similar to what I have in my mouth. Other that for toupees that just sit there,this direct glue business is new to me. Besides the issue of the glue, this case is the equivalent of putting an entire human arch on one root of a single tooth. And I am still left wondering how her hygienist is going to deal with that thing. They must plan on the beak coming off.

Arabmann
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Arabmann » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:02 pm

I very much recommend implants over bridges or removable partial dentures.
Any side effects?

Grant
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Grant » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:38 pm

TAM,

None that I know of, provided proper materials are used and procedures followed. If very dissimilar metals are used in the implant, the implant head and the restoration, a galvanic response (electrical movement) into the tissue and bone can cause bone loss and failure of the implant. This has meant up to this point that titanium was used in the implant and head and a precious metal such as gold or palladium was used in the restoration. There is a movement now towards the use of tooth colored incoris zirconia for both heads and restorations that gets completely around the problem.

http://choosedentalimplants.com/content ... l-implants

"The success rate for dental implants is very high. According to the most recent research, the overall success rates in natural bone is 95%, though this falls to between 85% and 90% in grafted bone."

DayaxJeclee
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby DayaxJeclee » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:47 pm

there' always side effect, nothing is 100% .

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.