Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

For AgentOfChaos: Maay Maay dialect!

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
Alphanumeric
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Re: For AgentOfChaos: Maay Maay dialect!

Postby Alphanumeric » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:26 pm

@Alpha - Now that you mention it, there was a small community of tolkaaga in Diinsoor and they never got along with the Dabarre. They were warring with each other for a long time, until Shabaab rolled in to town about 3 years ago and put a stop to clan hostilities.

Soomaali waa dad waalan! :down:
Don't think I mentioned anything about tol or fighting, but OK :lol:

Yes, Somalis have a long way to go.

Anarchist
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen
Location: Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow!

Postby Anarchist » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:36 pm

Alpha, :lol:

It just reminded me something. Ka soco. :mrgreen:

@Shirib - Is Portland where habaryar is?

@Agent - It's all out there. Some argue that because prior to nationhood, Somalis by their nature were clan oriented societies who did not believe in the notion of a unifying ideology e.g. a nation. And then during the colonialism era and specially right before independence, Leego & SYL members among others put a lot of stress on the notion of a nationhood i.e. Soomaalinimo as a unifying force for achieving independence. But, after the civil war -- the regression back to clan fiefdom was imminent, they explain it as things returning to their natural state. Now, after listening to enough Somalis with the same beliefs i.e. that Soomalinimo is dead & we are all better off as "clan emirates" or "clan states". I wonder if we can ever get back our patriotism? Is it lost for good? How do you see things? I mean, I know we're pretty much fucked, but how much are we talking?

Shirib & Alpha, please feel free to chime in.

The`Republic
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby The`Republic » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:43 pm

Been trying to learn Af Maay, no success yet. :|

AgentOfChaos
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby AgentOfChaos » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:06 pm

@Agent - It's all out there. Some argue that because prior to nationhood, Somalis by their nature were clan oriented societies who did not believe in the notion of a unifying ideology e.g. a nation. And then during the colonialism era and specially right before independence, Leego & SYL members among others put a lot of stress on the notion of a nationhood i.e. Soomaalinimo as a unifying force for achieving independence. But, after the civil war -- the regression back to clan fiefdom was imminent, they explain it as things returning to their natural state. Now, after listening to enough Somalis with the same beliefs i.e. that Soomalinimo is dead & we are all better off as "clan emirates" or "clan states". I wonder if we can ever get back our patriotism? Is it lost for good? How do you see things? I mean, I know we're pretty much fucked, but how much are we talking?
I will be honest with you, I don't really think a whole lot about the current shit Somalis are in, I just do my part by respecting all Somalis equally, stay away from qabyaalad, and mind my own business. It might seem naive but hey, that's how I do my part( it might not seem anything, but to me it does lol). You're right though, there is way too much negativity, and mistrust among Somalis, but I refuse to belive that we will never unite. As long as people are looking back, we can never move forward. Hopefully things will get better, just look at Xamar, and Insha'Allah one day we will unite.

Twist
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Twist » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:32 pm

As usual, very informative & educational work, Anarchist. :up:

PS: I was wondering, is this professor related to that Somali Yemeni family, reer Maansoor, in Diinsoor? I think there was a fighting among them & their in-laws (I think they intermarried with the locals) and there were also few cases of murder and most of them left there & moved to Yemen.

Lillaahiya
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Lillaahiya » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:40 pm

"maxaa tiri" = standard Somali :? :lol: You learn something new every day.

Twist
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Twist » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:43 pm

Lil, what did you consider as the standard Somali?

Maxaa tiri is the standard Somali coz it's the one spoken by the big majority of Somalis, plus it's the one mainly used in literature, journalism etc.

Lillaahiya
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Lillaahiya » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:45 pm

Maxaa tiri is the standard Somali coz it's the one spoken by the big majority of Somalis, plus it's the one mainly used in literature, journalism etc.
^ You answered your own question. To be more specific, standard Somali = my dialect :clap:

Twist
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Twist » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:50 pm

And then what was the with the confused face and the "you learn something new every day" thing? :|

Caawa malaha qaadkii baa kugu bar go'ay?

Anarchist
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby Anarchist » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:59 pm

I will be honest with you, I don't really think a whole lot about the current shit Somalis are in, I just do my part by respecting all Somalis equally, stay away from qabyaalad, and mind my own business. It might seem naive but hey, that's how I do my part( it might not seem anything, but to me it does lol). You're right though, there is way too much negativity, and mistrust among Somalis, but I refuse to belive that we will never unite. As long as people are looking back, we can never move forward. Hopefully things will get better, just look at Xamar, and Insha'Allah one day we will unite.
Well said, man! I'm more or less the same; try to still hang on to my sanity & respect all Somalis (regardless of clan), avoid clan talk as much as possible (online or irl), and contribute in whichever way I can. But, I can't help but wonder if in my lifetime, I will ever see our country back on its feet, Marka half of what it once was, "minority clans" once again thriving in their own regions with their own choices for leaders, Somalia once again a respectable country and Somalis as the decent people they once were. Will that ever become a reality or are we more or less confined to our current fate? I myself think that such notions are naive, maybe, just maybe all these people who worship their clans, stand behind them -- in both good & evil, call for clan states, etc. Could they be more realistic? More sane? Are we the insane ones? :lol:

@Twist - Wow, bro! :shock:

I know Abdalla Mansur is from Diinsoor, but did not know his family to be embroiled in such a thing. Was he by any chance related to another Abdalla who was Somali-Yemeni and was at some point Somalia's police commissioner? Abdalla Ali was his full name; dark fellow who spoke with a heavy Raxanweyn accent? Diinsoor had a sizable Yemeni & Baraawe communities, what a weird place! :lol:

Twist
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Twist » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:07 pm

Anarchist, there's a possibility that only the family names are the same (though I think both the professor & that family are Somali Yemenis and all from Dinsor hence they could be from the same family) but yeah, there was a fighting between that family & their in-laws about money or property something like that & it was very bad, though I am not sure if it had to do with that, most of them eventually moved to Yemen. That happened early 90's though.

PS: Any chance you might know reer Sheekh Cumar & Xaaji Madad? Nah, they are not Yemenis.

Anarchist
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby Anarchist » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:23 pm

@Twist - I wonder how Yemenis ended up in Diinsoor? Never understood that.

No, I'm not familiar with those names. Ever heard of Reer M'xed Suufi? Saxaneey? Caliyow? They were Barawaanis; we found them in my town. Didn't know them, but some of my older siblings were ecstatic about seeing them again.

D'you remember alaabtaan?

Allah maxaan bun iyo cambuulo, saliid macsaro & sugar dripping from it isku dagaalnay. :lawd:

Lillaahiya
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Lillaahiya » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:25 pm

And then what was the with the confused face and the "you learn something new every day" thing? :|

Caawa malaha qaadkii baa kugu bar go'ay?
I didn't know people refer to standard Somali as "maxaa tiri" :?

Qaadkana ha soo hadal qaadin :tocry: Wax aan naf lahayn ayaa la keena beriyahan :tocry:

AgentOfChaos
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby AgentOfChaos » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:26 pm

Well said, man! I'm more or less the same; try to still hang on to my sanity & respect all Somalis (regardless of clan), avoid clan talk as much as possible (online or irl), and contribute in whichever way I can. But, I can't help but wonder if in my lifetime, I will ever see our country back on its feet, Marka half of what it once was, "minority clans" once again thriving in their own regions with their own choices for leaders, Somalia once again a respectable country and Somalis as the decent people they once were. Will that ever become a reality or are we more or less confined to our current fate? I myself think that such notions are naive, maybe, just maybe all these people who worship their clans, stand behind them -- in both good & evil, call for clan states, etc. Could they be more realistic? More sane? Are we the insane ones? :lol:
I plead the fifth, and I won't say anything until my lawyer arrives.

But seriously though, in a world where the majority follow their qabiil blindly, and are qabiliste to the bone, believe me people who are non-qabiliste are pretty much the social outcasts. The worst part is no longer can one even have a debate or say anything remotely negative about anyone or every goddamn qabiliste will assume you insulted their WHOLE clan. Just the other day someone said "Aabe Siyaad's Af-Somali" to which I replied "whatever the fuck that means, as if the guy you mentioned invented the language itself" and the guy started throwing hissy fit, saying I have something against his clan or some shit like that. I couldn't stop laughing. :lol:

Anarchist
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby Anarchist » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:45 pm

@Agent - Not sure when I grew out of it, but I finally see how ridiculous the whole thing is. And it's just as worse if you're ever critical of your own clan, probably even worse -- you're a "traitor" then. :lol:

Have you ever heard of abaay abaay? It's women like these in the next video who are the victims of the backward ideology that is clan hatred. It's people like these that are "looma ooyaan" and who have been victimized & bullied by everyone in the last 22 years, and I mean everyone. It's people like these whose lands are being claimed left & right, farce adminstrations serving the interests of others declared over them & shoved down their throats. How does that even work? And how can anyone who enjoys the freedoms & liberty provided to them in the West deny the same for these people? Don't be shocked if you read "These women aren't Somalis!" In one of the comments, just because they don't look or sound like them. That's if the haraam police haven't beaten them to it with their "This isn't Islam!" by then. :down: :lol:

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.