Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

For AgentOfChaos: Maay Maay dialect!

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
Twist
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Re: For AgentOfChaos: Maay Maay dialect!

Postby Twist » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:50 pm

@Twist - I wonder how Yemenis ended up in Diinsoor? Never understood that.

No, I'm not familiar with those names. Ever heard of Reer M'xed Suufi? Saxaneey? Caliyow? They were Barawaanis; we found them in my town. Didn't know them, but some of my older siblings were ecstatic about seeing them again.

D'you remember alaabtaan?

Allah maxaan bun iyo cambuulo, saliid macsaro & sugar dripping from it isku dagaalnay. :lawd:
It never occurred to me either. lol I know many Barawani & Shaanshi families in Dinsor but not sure how Yemenis ened up there since it is not a coastal town.

Yeah, I know about reer Suufi (I think he's related to Suufi Shaafi. Ask him about that name) but not sure about the rest.

Man, I started doing shukaansi with those Saalixiya digri's, late at night waiting for chicks in dark streets when other people were doing their acrobatic moves. AstaghfuruLah! :lol:

Your thread made me watch this:

And then what was the with the confused face and the "you learn something new every day" thing? :|

Caawa malaha qaadkii baa kugu bar go'ay?
I didn't know people refer to standard Somali as "maxaa tiri" :?

Qaadkana ha soo hadal qaadin Wax aan naf lahayn ayaa la keena beriyahan :tocry:
No wonder, markii horeba dhaqan-celis ayuun baad ahayde!

Xaggiina ma Gangeeti baa ka soo dega ama Gizi? Iska yaree midka qalalan ee bacaha ku jira, cuduro badan oo ay ma dhalaysnimo ka mid tahay baa laga qaadaa baan maqlay.

Lillaahiya
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Lillaahiya » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:55 pm

:lol: @ ma dhalaysnimo. If only you knew what qaad does to women :lol:

War waan kulaa safaadayaa. Bahasha ma cunee ee waan iibiya :stylin:

Anarchist
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen
Location: Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow!

Postby Anarchist » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:58 pm

@Twist - Yep, that's them. Damn! You know your stuff, duqa. :ehh:

Hassan Adan Samatar made it cool to sing in Maay. Only he could get away with it. :up:

Areesa
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight
Location: If you want to live a happy life, tie it to a goal, not to people or things.

Postby Areesa » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:59 pm

War waan kulaa safaadayaa. Bahasha ma cunee ee waan iibiya :stylin:
Still selling drugs? :snoop:

AgentOfChaos
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby AgentOfChaos » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:59 pm

@Agent - Not sure when I grew out of it, but I finally see how ridiculous the whole thing is. And it's just as worse if you're ever critical of your own clan, probably even worse -- you're a "traitor" then. :lol:

Have you ever heard of abaay abaay? It's women like these in the next video who are the victims of the backward ideology that is clan hatred. It's people like these that are "looma ooyaan" and who have been victimized & bullied by everyone in the last 22 years, and I mean everyone. It's people like these whose lands are being claimed left & right, farce adminstrations serving the interests of others declared over them & shoved down their throats. How does that even work? And how can anyone who enjoys the freedoms & liberty provided to them in the West deny the same for these people? Don't be shocked if you read "These women aren't Somalis!" In one of the comments, just because they don't look or sound like them. That's if the haraam police haven't beaten them to it with their "This isn't Islam!" by then. :down: :lol:

That's some seriously sad and fucked up shit right there, and worse part of it is I never even heard of this Abaay Abaay.

Twist
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Twist » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:01 pm

@Lil: :lol: Like I was serious in the first place. Khadiijaay, ma haddaan is baranaynaa? :ufdup:

So you're saying women who chew pop like break-less Chinese women? I might have to persuade my youngest wife who doesn't like children to chew qat, of course concocting some other bullshit (like it's good for rooting etc) so that she can pop them babies. 8-)

@Anarchist: Hmm, kinda. I was fishing around when I asked you about those other names but your survived, only this time though. :lol:

Lillaahiya
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Lillaahiya » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:04 pm

^ Ado boqol jir ah ma taqaanid the side effects of qaad :lol: La yaab. Miskiin nafta baa ka tahay shoow.

Areesa: :stylin:

Twist
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Twist » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:07 pm

War bahalka waaggaan ciidamada military-ga gaashaanle sare ka ahaa 77-kii baan mar tijaabiyay kow dheh, kamaanan helin oo waaggaa baa iigu dambaysay! ;)

The thread was meant for languages/dialects adigana howlahaagii baad bilowday! War orodoo seexo naayaa, hadal baa ku dooxay e'.

:D

Anarchist
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen
Location: Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow!

Postby Anarchist » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:52 pm

@Agent - Abaay abaay was an ONLY female gathering in Southern Somalia, usually reserved for older women (mothers & grandmothers). Neighbors would brew some fresh qaxwo, others would bring daango, cambuulo & bun, then sit around and do dikri. In a society where religious ceremonies were mostly male-dominated, abaay abaay gatherings like the one in the video offered the women a chance at doing their own version of the men's digri. A lot of times, they'd use religious female figures like Hawa, Aisha, Fatima & Maryam as their inspiration. And if you listen closely, you can hear their names. They'd revere such women for their patience, for their piety, devotion, etc. It was also a way for the women to get together & blow off some steam, catch up & lament, etc. Not sure about its presence in other regions, but it was very common in anywhere from Baraawe to Xamar, Baydhabo to Jilib, etc.

It's still performed by Somali Bantus in the diaspora (this looks like somewhere in North America).

Calibesteen
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby Calibesteen » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:37 pm

Aabay Aaabay, Mashallah. This people are called Somali Bantu, some Somali say they are not ethnical Somali but in my book they are Somali 100%. They are very loyal, peaceful and loving people. I heard stories of civil war how Ogaden and other Darod rape them while killing there men and some USC munafiq did two. Waallahay, I love this people and Gabooye. They have suffer so much in hand of Somali and still they are humble and peaceful.

Garre also do Aabay and even Ogaden in place like Filto. It is nice, I like when they go HUH, like Rick Ross

AgentOfChaos
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby AgentOfChaos » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:01 am

@Agent - Abaay abaay was an ONLY female gathering in Southern Somalia, usually reserved for older women (mothers & grandmothers). Neighbors would brew some fresh qaxwo, others would bring daango, cambuulo & bun, then sit around and do dikri. In a society where religious ceremonies were mostly male-dominated, abaay abaay gatherings like the one in the video offered the women a chance at doing their own version of the men's digri. A lot of times, they'd use religious female figures like Hawa, Aisha, Fatima & Maryam as their inspiration. And if you listen closely, you can hear their names. They'd revere such women for their patience, for their piety, devotion, etc. It was also a way for the women to get together & blow off some steam, catch up & lament, etc. Not sure about its presence in other regions, but it was very common in anywhere from Baraawe to Xamar, Baydhabo to Jilib, etc.

It's still performed by Somali Bantus in the diaspora (this looks like somewhere in North America).

Amazing info as always, thank you sxb. :up:

Yohannes
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby Yohannes » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:28 am

Somali people come originally from Somali zone 5 in etiopia and north Somalia, that is xaqaaiq. That is where history point out we start our journey before tribe because before tribe Somali trace their family through mother like farcoon. That is why they commit incest because if not they could not become farcoon.

With this profesor word my conclusion would is that May were spoken by group close to the Maxa tir. I believe it is 2 dialect from ancient language!
I have never heard this, that before tribes were made Somalis traced their lineage through the mother's side. Is there any proof of this or are these abtirsi preserved anywhere? Ditto for the incest...

Jaidi
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Jaidi » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:20 pm

Anarchist needs to post more, best poster on this site.

Yohannes
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby Yohannes » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:12 pm

Anarchist needs to post more, best poster on this site.
I appreciate his/her informative and very nice videos of Af Maay Maay in this thread, the Abaay Abaay gathering is really something else. Mar baan xasuustaa anoo wax ku dhow maqlay laakiin ma hubi.

LiquidHYDROGEN
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby LiquidHYDROGEN » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:04 pm

A xabashi that speaks somali? :ducktales:

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.