Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Canadian vs Americian vs European SOMALIS

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
hydrogen
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Re: Canadian vs Americian vs European SOMALIS

Postby hydrogen » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:33 pm

City wise though, Amsterdam Somalis are living the mac book lifestyle.

grandpakhalif
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby grandpakhalif » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:50 pm

Waryaa Menace, atleast I don't gotta worry about health insurance :D

MenaceToSociety
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby MenaceToSociety » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:01 pm

Waryaa Menace, atleast I don't gotta worry about health insurance :D

:meles: :snoop: :tocry: .... I have a toothache and I have to pay $1800 to fill it...nacalaa ku taal mareykanka

CushiticReflections
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby CushiticReflections » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:31 pm

I think that Somalis in America vary. The immigrant parents, in my opinion, are more successful than their American-raised children. The children are often uneducated, lazy, and don't have high ambitions. But if there are successful Somalis in the younger generation, they're usually the females, not males.

In Canada, the girls tend to go to university at higher rates than the Somali males. It seems to be slowly evening out but the Somali boys seem to have low or no ambitions, seem to only care about money and their image and tend to go down the wrong path. Maybe it is because those youth are lost and easily impressionable and thus are too easily swayed by the images they see in the media and by what society seems to think a black male is (ie. "gangster/street", baggy clothing, hip hop-loving, loud, etc). Overall though, the younger generation of Somalis in Canada and America are disappointing.

Somalis in Europe tend to do better than those in the Americas. Especially Somalis in Sweden and maybe in other Nordic countries. More of them seem to be more individualistic, innovative, educated, and ambitious. The only downfall is that some seem to identify less with their Somali or Muslim identity and seem to be more likely to act like a "gaalo" or to be atheist. Some British Somalis do very well, better than those in the Americas, and seem to have a stronger sense of community than the youth in the Americas. But some British Somalis seem to fall into the trap of thinking that they must be "ghetto" to be authentic (as a black man) rather than to seek to meet their own individual potentials.
Hmm, okay, but living standards Europe is hands down the best.

This is what feels like in London generally: Image
I found London to be utterly disgusting. Coming from North America, I found everything in England - the portions, cars, buildings, stair cases, etc - to be too small. I felt claustrophobic. Not to mention it stunk like sh** and the food was bland. America and Canada are better countries to live in, in my opinion.

hydrogen
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby hydrogen » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:37 pm

CushiticReflections, that was enlightening to read. I guess I'm just a sucker for all things British, but you hit the nail on the head with the Nordic countries swaying towards atheism and modernity (Topix.com will show you how they behave online).

I live a double life and so do a lot of British Somalis whereby we change identities depending on who we're with however in Nordic countries they seem to be more of the type who will complain about how they're treated at home differently to their white friends etc.

Self-aggrandizing wannabe British aristocrat by day, typical Somali by night. Viva la moi.

MenaceToSociety
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby MenaceToSociety » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:43 pm

CUSH..HALF OF WHAT U SAID IS TRUE AND THE OTHER HALF IS UTTERLY AND PREPOSTEROUSLY FALSE...WALAAHI FOLKS IN THE STATES HAVE ATTAINED SOME IMPRESSIVE ACCOMPLISHMENT...WE HAVE LOWER INCARCINATED FOLKS, WE HAVE TREMENDOUS OPPORTUNITIES..WE HAVE AFFIRMITVE ACTION WHICH ALLOWS US TO FILL IN..WE HAVE SEND A HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVE TO TO CONGRESS..WE HAVE MORE STUDENTS IN OUR CITIES UNIVERSITY MORE THAN THE CURSED AFRICAN-americans...one thing is true..our girls are doing it...how do I know this..I just look at my house hold..we have graduated from the same uni in huge numbers...when we got...while living in canada one school put a sibling in special school only to get a masters in something. ..so u can see the racism in canada and how they demoralize families whonlive there

Thuganomics
Location: Arguments gain nothing but resentment, Disscussion however creates learning

Postby Thuganomics » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:57 pm

Ma wadamadii shesheeye baaba laysugu faanayaa mantan.
Canada qoxootinimo baa lagu jogaa.
USA qoxootinimo baa lagu jogaa.
EU qoxootinimo baa lagu jogaa.

Ordaha oo dalkiina ku faana nacalaa iyo shaydaanba ku yaale.

:lol: :lol: :clap: :up:

MenaceToSociety
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby MenaceToSociety » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:16 pm

THUG...NAAG DHIMATEY OO KA QARAABAN JIRRAU FCULING ROAD hargeisa baad tahau

Somalistan
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Somalistan » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:17 pm

In terms of success rate

Education

Employment

Living standards

Prettier females

House ownership

Income

Political unfluence (their area that they live in)

Sports representarion

Car ownership

Suburban penetrarion

I must b bias and say Somali-Americans are the over all wonners
:meles:

Thuganomics
Location: Arguments gain nothing but resentment, Disscussion however creates learning

Postby Thuganomics » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:21 pm

THUG...NAAG DHIMATEY OO KA QARAABAN JIRRAU FCULING ROAD hargeisa baad tahau

'Cos you sure as hell can't speak my language :whoa:

Xiis1928
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Xiis1928 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:26 pm

Menace, It's called Fuc&ing Street, not Fuc&ing Road.

CushiticReflections
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby CushiticReflections » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:36 pm

@hydrogen LOL I can see British Somalis doing that and that Nordic Somalis are a bit whiny. :P
CUSH..HALF OF WHAT U SAID IS TRUE AND THE OTHER HALF IS UTTERLY AND PREPOSTEROUSLY FALSE...WALAAHI FOLKS IN THE STATES HAVE ATTAINED SOME IMPRESSIVE ACCOMPLISHMENT...WE HAVE LOWER INCARCINATED FOLKS, WE HAVE TREMENDOUS OPPORTUNITIES..WE HAVE AFFIRMITVE ACTION WHICH ALLOWS US TO FILL IN..WE HAVE SEND A HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVE TO TO CONGRESS..WE HAVE MORE STUDENTS IN OUR CITIES UNIVERSITY MORE THAN THE CURSED AFRICAN-americans...one thing is true..our girls are doing it...how do I know this..I just look at my house hold..we have graduated from the same uni in huge numbers...when we got...while living in canada one school put a sibling in special school only to get a masters in something. ..so u can see the racism in canada and how they demoralize families whonlive there
Why refer to African-Americans negatively? They, as a people, have not done anything to Somalia. Meanwhile, the Europeans raped Africa, colonized Somalia, and murdered many Somalis who fought for independence and yet I don't hear anyone on snet insult the British, Italians, or French. But they throw terms like adoon or insult African-Americans. smh We're our own worst enemies sometimes... but I digress.

Africans - including Somalis - surpass African-American or Caribbean blacks or any other immigrant group in educational attainment and graduate degrees in America, Canada, and the UK. But overall, it does seem like the Somalis in Europe do better than those in the Americas. Simply staying out of jail isn't enough and that most definitely should not be the height of our ambitions or of our hopes for other Somalis.

I grew up in Canada. They tried to put me in ESL (as they did with nearly all young Somalis) in elementary school. There definitely were some racist pricks in the education system who tried to make me fail but I was generally perceived to be a gifted student and was put in advanced classes (ie. took English and math courses with kids two or one grade ahead of me, occasionally put me and other "gifted" students in an advanced reading group together during English classes so we wouldn't be bored, etc) since my school could not afford gifted classes.

Racism occurs in America, Canada, and in any country in the world against people who are minorities, more frequently against those who are visible minorities. Parents and the children themselves have to battle it out anytime racist educators try to prevent academic success or even normal advancement of students. I've had to do it many times. I don't trust educators to have the best interests at heart for minority children, I can't because too often I've been discriminated against and demerited because teachers have automatically assumed me to be too stupid to have written whatever work they thought was too wonderful for a black student to have written or teachers have purposely tried to fail me because of my colour. So I'm very well aware of the racism that is prevalent in Canada in schools, the workplace, and other institutions. But we're not talking about whether or not Somalis face racism. The fact is we face it anywhere where we are minorities.

The topic here, according to your initial post, is: the success rate of Somalis in terms of education, employment, living standards, prettier females (lol), house ownership, income, political influence (their area that they live in), sports representation, car ownership, suburban penetration.

While Somali-Americans and Canadians are close, the younger generation of Somali-Canadians do better, in my opinion. Immigrant Somalis who tend to be parents of young adults are a different topic. I've already said that they, in America, do much better than their children.

But it's no contest, European Somalis (specifically those in Northern Europe/Britain) surpass Somalis in the Americas. Plus, how can you say something is bull when you admitted yourself that you think Somali-Americans do better because you're biased? If you are biased, then you will keep thinking that way no matter the truth. lol
Last edited by CushiticReflections on Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AgentOfChaos
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby AgentOfChaos » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:42 pm

Canadian Somalis/American Somalis/European Somalis < Somalia Somalis cause at least they're in their country.

Thuganomics

Postby Thuganomics » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:43 pm

Somalia Somalis cause at least they're in their country.
:lol: :lol:

Marques
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Marques » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:53 pm

Americans more educated, biggest political representation, biggest suburban penetration, tied with CA for living standards
Canadians with least unemployed, higher income and car ownership and house ownership, tied with US for living standards
Europeans with the prettiest females, sports representation,

Canadia wins by a bit
In that case..feels good to be a European :blessed:

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.