Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Well Planned Town in Somalia

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
500ml
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Re: Well Planned Town in Somalia

Postby 500ml » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:03 pm

Just invest in cities, simple!
The cities desperately need investment

Adali
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Throw me to the hyenas and I will return laughing as the pack leader.

Postby Adali » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:13 pm

Lilaahiya I need only to worry about local clans harassing me, not some phantom dowlad. :lol:

GeoSeven
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Out of my mind somewhere...always somewhere, never an exact location.

Postby GeoSeven » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:22 pm

I know someone who bought a large chunk of empty land near one of the regional capitals for 500k. It's not pocket change but for the size of the land they bought (something like a 100 hectares) it's ridiculously cheap. All they did was feed the nomadic elders, pay them $500 each to have permission to buy land, pay off the local admin and get their legit papers. So land is really cheap, as long as it's not near any important urban settlements.

Construction of a small "gated community" or a "mini town" would be costly though. Easily amount to millions I would assume.

PrinceDaadi
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby PrinceDaadi » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:07 pm

I like when people day dream! no body talks wether these settlements r economically viable and can support them selves.

SecretAgent
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby SecretAgent » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:25 pm

Jus expand barawa, marka, hobyo, ely dis r very nice towns

mohnig23

Postby mohnig23 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:36 pm

I like when people day dream! no body talks wether these settlements r economically viable and can support them selves.
This isn't a daydream. But will be put into action inshallah.
Keep it moving hater.

Geo
That's amazing what area was it?

Why invest in cities it's better to start a new town clean fresh ? It's too much work and too much money for big cities.

CushiticReflections
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby CushiticReflections » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:35 am

Would it be expensive to buy land and build a small well planned town with great infrastructure in Puntland or a place with small population?
I mean this town would have a sewage system, homes, 3 schools (primary, intermediate, secondary), grocery stores, water pipes, solar power, maybe wind turbines, and electricity 24/7.

This is meant for a small town with about 5,000 - 10,000 population.

All opinions and input would be greatly appreciated.
:blessed: :blessed: :blessed:

I don't know but that's a beautiful thought. Just please don't design the buildings cadaan or Arab-style, it'd be nice to have a whole town with beautiful, Somali architecture.

Gabre
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Gabre » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:47 am

What is Somali architecture? The only thing I can think of that is aqals, everything else is borrowed...

aqal:

CushiticReflections
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby CushiticReflections » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:06 am

What is Somali architecture? The only thing I can think of that is aqals, everything else is borrowed...

aqal:

There is, in fact, remains of traditional Somali architectural works as well Somali engineering works.
Most of Somalia's ancient and traditional architecture lays in ruins, mainly due to colonialism and the civil war, but it still exists.

Eyl castle:

Talex:

Talex today:

Almnara tower (a lighthouse):

Ruins of ancient city Amud:

Citadel of Gondershe, which was an important city during the Ajuuraan Empire:

CushiticReflections
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby CushiticReflections » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:12 am

More on Somali aesthetics in design:

17th century carved Somali window:

18th century kohl pot decorated with bells:

18th century amber necklace:
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=wnt60&s=5

Old carved window frame:

I could post so many more examples of Somalia traditional design and architecture but I hope this at least shows what Somali architecture and traditional aesthetics is like. What little archaeological excavations that have been done in Somalia show that archways and courtyards were popular features. In more recent centuries, city walls were often used to protect those within the city from attacks. It's clear that stone was what was used to construct many ancient structures, which contrasts with modern Somali architecture.

Gabre
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Gabre » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:14 am

Of the stuff you posted that I'm familiar with, none of them are Somali. The Darwiish buildings at Taleex were designed and built by a Yemeni architect for example.

The rest seems to just be aping Arab architecture. There's nothing particularly Somali about them.

:kanyeshrug:

CushiticReflections
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby CushiticReflections » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:29 am

Of the stuff you posted that I'm familiar with, none of them are Somali. The Darwiish buildings at Taleex were designed and built by a Yemeni architect for example.

The rest seems to just be aping Arab architecture. There's nothing particularly Somali about them.

:kanyeshrug:
I will agree with you about Taleex, as they were the only buildings that I posted that I did not research and which were built during colonialism and are not ancient, like some of the older structures I've posted. But it is untrue that the rest imitate Arab architecture at all.

So you're basically saying that because they "seem" to be copying Arab architecture, you think there is nothing Somali about them?

Since you said that the aqal is the only traditional Somali architecture you think exists, then what makes you think that what I've posted has nothing Somali about it? Because that would indicate that there is something that is more Somali yet you think no such thing exists. That makes no sense.

Also, to say that something "seems ___" would indicate that your statement is based on an assumption. Since you've provided no evidence whatsoever that there are Arab structures that those other buildings were modelled after, this establishes that your statement is not factual and thus invalid.

Gabre
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Gabre » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:41 am

Well yeah, because you can find the same types of buildings all down the Swahili coast and other places of coastal Arab settlement. What are the features of the Ajuuraan ruins that separate them from the rest of Arab architecture that say "Somali"? I can drop some doric columns in Mogadishu, but that doesn't make them any less Greek.

GeoSeven
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Out of my mind somewhere...always somewhere, never an exact location.

Postby GeoSeven » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:18 am

This isn't a daydream. But will be put into action inshallah.
Keep it moving hater.

Geo
That's amazing what area was it?

Why invest in cities it's better to start a new town clean fresh ? It's too much work and too much money for big cities.
In Janta Kundisha. It's on the highway on the outskirts of Beledweyne. The same thing can be done anywhere similar in Somalia.

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.