Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Returning diaspora men transform Muqdisho wedding industry

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
Titanium
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Returning diaspora men transform Muqdisho wedding industry

Postby Titanium » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:41 pm

Mogadishu's wedding industry is hopping.

Somali men from the diaspora are spending big money on bridal dowries and other wedding costs as they take advantage of safer conditions in Mogadishu to get married.

These grooms-to-be are shelling out tens of thousands of dollars to tie the knot. Some are paying thousands of dollars for wedding parties at newly constructed 24-hour service hotels.

Faisal Omar, 35, spent 15 years in England as a taxi driver, but returned to Mogadishu in July and spent $20,000 on his wedding on August 5th.

"I am happy I was able to get married in my country while it is peaceful, regardless of the amount of money I spent," he told Sabahi. "On my wedding night, I felt as though the ceremony took place in London because I was completely satisfied with the hotel it took place in and how the guests took part in my joyous wedding."

"Every afternoon, since the wedding week, my wife and I go to Lido Beach and enjoy each other's company," Omar said. "I could not believe that Mogadishu has become a place of leisure."

Farhan Abdi, 29, lived in London for 13 years and worked as a nurse at the Royal London Hospital. He returned to Mogadishu this month.

"I am planning to hold my wedding celebration at the banquet hall in Mogadishu's Safari Hotel," he told Sabahi. "I plan to have 300 guests so that we can celebrate with our friends until late at night."

"I have a feeling that a lot of money will be spent because the party alone will cost me about $6,000 that night, but ensuring the happiness of the woman I am marrying is more important than the money," he said.

Abdi said the total costs would reach about $16,000. "I would spend more money than that on my wedding if I could afford it because this will be a joyous occasion that I have been anticipating for a long time, and I ask God to bless my marriage," he said.

Diaspora men changing the matchmaking dynamics

Young Somali men who have lived abroad often have an edge in finding brides over their counterparts who stayed in Somalia. The newcomers have the allure of being more prosperous and therefore a greater catch for brides whose families can hike up dowry prices.

This has created a great deal of competition among Mogadishu's eligible bachelors, said Liban Farah, 27, who works at an electronics store in Bakara Market, adding that expatriates' lavish spending on weddings has caused resentment among men who stayed behind.

"The marriages of the men from abroad have greatly affected us because when women hear that another woman has been married with $20,000, every woman will tell you she wants a diaspora man," he told Sabahi. "We have been forced to tell women that we are from the diaspora even though we have never left the country."

It is understandable for women interested in marriage to seek out men with the financial means to fulfil their wishes and provide for a family, said Anab Yasin, 25, a Hamar Weyne district resident who studied management and business at SIMAD University.

Somali bachelors from abroad are regarded as good potential partners because of their seriousness in seeking a wife and their ability to provide, she said. Local bachelors' approach to marriage, on the other hand, lacks substance.

"I mean, every bachelor from Mogadishu wants to win a woman over only by telling stories and jokes," she said.

Yasin believes women who negotiate a substantial dowry in their marriage contract are in a better position in case of divorce.

"It is not a new concept for Somalis to pay a high dowry for a bride," she said, adding that requiring a higher financial commitment to enter into the marriage helps encourage husbands to resolve conflicts that might arise later on.

"It is every woman's right to choose," she said. "Thank God for alternatives to men without means who marry women easily and divorce them easily."
http://sabahionline.com/en_GB/articles/ ... feature-01

Basra-
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Re: Returning diaspora men transform Muqdisho wedding indust

Postby Basra- » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:52 pm

:roll: OH yeah, lets take AIDS and all sexual diseases to virgin 14 year olds. :?

Lillaahiya
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Lillaahiya » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:55 pm

Mandem don't wanna spend 20k in London and other parts of qurbaha, but will spend that amount in Xamar? :? Shit doesn't make sense.

FarhanYare
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby FarhanYare » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:00 pm

$20,000 waa exaceration, hadee ugu badnato the most lavish wedding party would cost $10,000 in muqdusho.. well unless there is a rampant corruption going on :? . also i know a dude who spent $15,000 on his wedding and after seven days............ divorced his bajaaq :o

plus basra has a point
Last edited by FarhanYare on Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

FAH1223
webmaster

Postby FAH1223 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:01 pm

Mandem don't wanna spend 20k in London and other parts of qurbaha, but will spend that amount in Xamar? :? Shit doesn't make sense.
Maybe cause they want a "submissive woman" not a "independent westernized woman"

Methylamine
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Methylamine » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:01 pm

20k in dollars or shillings?

Basra-
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Basra- » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:01 pm

Lilly

Don't buy it. Its impractical. The WHOLE reason for them to go and marry in Xamar is because of impoverished young brides and getting a bargain from an expensive, fashionable western wedding. The average US wedding cost is $25,000.00. That is the average. (some wedding go upto 32 thousand dollars)

This 20 K they claiming is just for the article and Somali's sense of self grandiose-ness. I am sure it doesn't cost them more than 6 K as one of the taxi driver has confessed in the article above. :stylin:

FarhanYare
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby FarhanYare » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:05 pm

20k in dollars or shillings?
:lol: i think roughly 2 miliion shillings in somali = $100 us dollers, so macquul mahan 20k shillings

Lillaahiya
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Lillaahiya » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:08 pm

Maybe cause they want a "submissive woman" not a "independent westernized woman"
That obvious but why spend so much? People tend to go back home because they don't want to spend a lot on the wedding.

Basra: :ehh: Afka caano lagu qabay

AgentOfChaos
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby AgentOfChaos » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:24 pm

Their money, their choice, not mine. And why the hell are you all so bitter? Damn cajuusooyin!

Methylamine
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Methylamine » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:28 pm

Their money, their choice, not mine. And why the hell are you all so bitter? Damn cajuusooyin!
:lol: is this your way of saying you dropped 15k on a chick from Wardhiigley?

500ml
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby 500ml » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:31 pm

What a waste of money, I would never spend more than 2k but thats just me.

hargaysaay
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Best part about getting high having sex with you is geting high having sex with you part.

Postby hargaysaay » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:35 pm

My Niggas Kudos to those guys , I only wish they surpassed the 20k and hit the 30k .

Ladies , Lillahiya and Basra - your just bitter cause you know you wont get to spend 20k at once for the rest of your lives . becouse you are a Xalimo .
The most tight handed creatures god ever created . :lol:
BRAVO SENIORE . Well put .

AgentOfChaos
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby AgentOfChaos » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:37 pm

Meth:

Wtf is wardhiigley? And no I wouldn't spend, scratch that, I CAN'T spend money I don't have.

Lillaahiya
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Lillaahiya » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:41 pm

Wa runtiina :cry: I'm just a jalas cajuusad :cry:

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.