Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

comments from very ignorant/non intergrated somalis ...

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
Osob101
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Re: comments from very ignorant/non intergrated somalis ...

Postby Osob101 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:37 pm

As someone quite familiar with Af May May I can assure you that what they are speaking is not Af May unless there is a different dialect of Af May am not familiar with. Regardless those comments are disgusting and uncalled for.

Rabshoole
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Rabshoole » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:39 pm

^ Its May, I understood everything they said.

Twist
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Twist » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:50 pm

OK, I didn't previously watch the clip & just reacted to the comments from Youtube but I think the dialect they're speaking is a type of Maay but not the standard Maay. Theirs is mainly spoken in Gosha, i.e. Jilib, Jamaame & that part of Juba & Shabeele regions. :idea:

Rabshoole
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Rabshoole » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:07 pm

^ Perhaps most people are quite familiar with the water down Af May spoken in Marka iyo meel u dhow Xamar, as you approach further down the language barrier thickens a bit, But me personally I understood all of what was said in this video.

Twist
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Twist » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:12 pm

^ Perhaps most people are quite familiar with the water down Af May spoken in Marka iyo meel u dhow Xamar, as you approach further down the language barrier thickens a bit, But me personally I understood all of what was said in this video.
That's what I meant. Yeah, I also understood most of it though there were some words/phrases I couldn't get.

PS: I have a friend who is from Afgooye and I listened to him in many occasions while on the phone with his family back home. His dialect is Maay but not like the Baidoa Maay but kinda mixed with Maxaa-tiri & is a softened Maay.

Rabshoole
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Rabshoole » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:24 pm

^ You're right, altho all of the words are similar, only differences I've noticed is the pace in which one speaks it, for example the folks in S/hose speak it slower considering their are maxaa tiri speakers around them, they've adopted iney jileeciyan luuqadooda, but in Bay, Bakool, Jubba, all of the lower half of Alta Jubba speak it faster with no influence of maxaa tiri yacni sida kuwaan oo kale aan maqleeynay.

Bilis
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby Bilis » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:51 pm

As someone quite familiar with Af May May I can assure you that what they are speaking is not Af May unless there is a different dialect of Af May am not familiar with.
They speak a Bantu version of Af-Maay; sort of like the relationship between Ebonics and English. Many times, their speech won't sound intelligible to the average Maay speaker because the Bantus' ancestors in southeastern Africa originally spoke Bantu languages. In fact, many Bantus in Somalia still do and have not fully adopted Maay or Somali.

Af-Maay is an Afro-Asiatic (Hamito-Semitic) language like mainstream Somali, Amharic, Afar, Tigrinya, Arabic, Berber, Hebrew, Egyptian, etc. It has little in common with Niger-Congo languages, which include Bantu tongues such as Mushunguli, Swahili, Kikuyu and Zulu.

Maay, Somali and other Afro-Asiatic languages also have very few similarities with the Nilo-Saharan languages spoken by the Dinka, Maasai and other Nilotes in the Nile Valley and Great Lakes, as well as the Khoisan languages of the Bushmen in southern Africa (which feature archaic click sounds).

Osob101
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Osob101 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:25 am

Who are kidding here. First of all they don't speak Af May May is Merca and the language spoken in the video is definitely not the usuall Af May May spoken even in Bay. These people clearly are speaking something else.

Rabshoole
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Rabshoole » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:06 pm

Who are kidding here. First of all they don't speak Af May May is Merca and the language spoken in the video is definitely not the usuall Af May May spoken even in Bay. These people clearly are speaking something else.
Just because you don't understand it, doesn't mean their not speaking in May, Like I said prior, I understand them clearly. perhaps it's unusual to you but not to everyone else. And Yes folks in Marka speak May as well.
Last edited by Rabshoole on Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rabshoole
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Rabshoole » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:11 pm

Osob, which one of these do you understand ?

1.)

2.)

3.)

4.)

5.)
Last edited by Rabshoole on Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jamal9
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby jamal9 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:59 pm

are they hawiye? sorry, never met hawiye in my life, don't how they look like.

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.