Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Iremember my mother teaching me about qabil when i was young

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
500ml
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Iremember my mother teaching me about qabil when i was young

Postby 500ml » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:46 pm

I was around 12/13, I remember my own mum telling me that we werent from the same qabil; I remember feeling very confused and sad :(, I remember wanting to be the same qabil as my mother 'I asked can I change my qabil' and obvs I couldn't. As my mum fed me with qabil knowledge, I was still quite lost on how you can see the difference between peoples clans by their faces. So I ask my mum how do you know what peoples qabil is, she said 'waa la ogyahay.' Qabil was very very new to me, I couldnt help thinking how qabil was so useless, none of the gaalo divide themselves like this, i was thinking at the time, this whole thing is stupid. I had many somali friends, I didnt know their tribes, I just knew they're somalis. Lol later on, I asked grown adult relatives about what qabil they are. They said to me 'Ceeb waxaas haka hadlin, somali a ahay.' I thought asking people's qabil was like asking when their birthday was, but i was wrong.By the time I reached 15 I was an expert in qabil, I could have got a PHD in qabil studies. But looking back I dont like the way somali parents teach their kids about tribes, its wrong, I am ashamed, but it is seen acceptable in the somali culture.

DonCorleone
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight
Location: Rehabilitated for my chaos ways... On the peace tip

Re: Iremember my mother teaching me about qabil when i was y

Postby DonCorleone » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:52 pm

I thought it was cool, your just made your moms from a different tribe then you .

Peroxide
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby Peroxide » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:54 pm

Psychological abuse.

CushiticReflections
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby CushiticReflections » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:58 pm

lol I knew nothing about qabils until I was in high school. You're right about Somali parents passing on their prejudices. When I was in elementary school, I saw how Somali kids passing judgement and making cruel remarks about people just because of their qabil or the region they're from. I don't think qabils are the issue but how people view qabils, which I don't think can be changed unless people start placing less importance on it.

500ml
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby 500ml » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:01 pm

CushiticReflections wrote:lol I knew nothing about qabils until I was in high school. You're right about Somali parents passing on their prejudices. When I was in elementary school, I saw how Somali kids passing judgement and making cruel remarks about people just because of their qabil or the region they're from. I don't think qabils are the issue but how people view qabils, which I don't think can be changed unless people start placing less importance on it.

:up:

Marques
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Marques » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:38 pm

500ml wrote:I was around 12/13, I remember my own mum telling me that we werent from the same qabil; I remember feeling very confused and sad :(.

Had me feeling like Image

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.