Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

best somali dance

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.

best somali dance

Jandheer
20%
saylici
23%
dhaanto
20%
saar
6%
niiko
31%

Total votes: 35

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
Lamagoodle
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Re: best somali dance

Postby Lamagoodle » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:49 am

Lol I knew you guys would say this about niiko but i just wrote it coz i couldn't think of anything else btw saar is a funny mareexan dance.
is saar the dance where they make themselves bleed by hitting each other?
Dear Hodan94,
Saar is the mother of all somali dances! Before the arrival of instruments and the commercial "dhaanto", the SAAR was the entertainment event of the evenings for the camel herders in the NFD, Gedo, Jubbooyinka, Bay, Bakool and all the way to Hiiran. In Hiiraan its offshot is called Feer Sagaaro. The Saar also gave the undertones to the Zeylaci, Jaandheer, the wilisiqo and other folklore dances.

The vocals are provided by the women. The men dance and they shouldn't sing. In the post instrumental age, another form of SAAR where the vocals are mainly provided by men ( and women the chorus/refrain) emerged. AN example is the great Carees Ciise Kaarshe.

But, in its original form, the lyrics are sung by women while the men dance

These are the common ones:

In Dhooboy and Banaadir, the SAAR is different. It is a spiritual dance to "remove" the "jini". This is by Siidi Cali Winkey (watch 1,12). It might be case that this kind of SAAR only shares the name with the purest form.

To conclude; the SAAR has inspired almost all somali traditional dances

Vivacious
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Life is waking up an hour early to live an hour more :)

Postby Vivacious » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:33 am

^ LamG, Saar ha ii sheegin. :down: Anoo aroos joogo oo waxaan arkay naago lagu soo dagay markii hees saar ah la daaray. Kala yaac aa ka dhacay dance floorkii dhamaay :pac:

None of the dances I like are included in your list OP :|

1. Shirib
2. Buraanbur
3. Goobiley

:dj:

Tanker
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight
Location: Enjoying my life :) I am so happy ! and endless succes has arrived in my life

Postby Tanker » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:13 pm

I voted for jaandheer, but most somali dances seem very similar lol.

you should include buraanbur to that list. *I kacay dhiiga i kacay uluulu* :lol:
hvad vil danskerne tænke hvis de så buraanbur :lol: :lol:

ManD333q
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby ManD333q » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:55 pm

I voted for jaandheer, but most somali dances seem very similar lol.

you should include buraanbur to that list. *I kacay dhiiga i kacay uluulu* :lol:
hvad vil danskerne tænke hvis de så buraanbur :lol: :lol:
Lool ifølge dem jeg har set til somaliske brylupper, de syntes det er meget 'spænende' :lol:

SummerRain
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby SummerRain » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:18 am

I'm gonna have to go with Buraanbur :heart: the others make me bored with their repetitive moves.

Cherine
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Cherine » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:30 pm

Lol@ best somali dance.

Is there even a difference...kuli waa wadda boodbood and sacab tumis (with the exception of niiko).

Cherine
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Cherine » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:32 pm

Summerrain,

Buraanbur if it lasts more than 10mins gets so boring. Most of the women ismaba qaadi karayaan ..plus all that distasteful qabiil cheerleading.

Hodan94
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Hodan94 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:41 pm

Summerrain,

Buraanbur if it lasts more than 10mins gets so boring. Most of the women ismaba qaadi karayaan ..plus all that distasteful qabiil cheerleading.
lol so true... what I hate the most about it is the screaming and shouting...
I remember one time some random guy on the street called the cops cuz he thought domestic violence was taking place.

it was just a house party.

Somalis, honestly :roll: :roll:

SultanOrder

Postby SultanOrder » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:10 pm

I demand to know why Goobile is not on the list :?

ihatewritingessays
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby ihatewritingessays » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:57 pm

:usure: Everyone and their mom is on the dance floor when the niiko beat drops.

Smile-LiKe-SuN-RiSE
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Smile-LiKe-SuN-RiSE » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:11 am

Dhaanto
Goobile
Shirib
Caku aroos baranbur laga ciyaaro..habaraha Ku nacay

SummerRain
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby SummerRain » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:29 am

Summerrain,

It's not always distasteful and there is nothing wrong if in a wedding wilka Iyo gabarta la faaniyo...that's essentially what they do with other cultural dances. It's all the same rhetoric but I like Buraanbur more because it's full of energy and women get creative with their moves. I can appreciate the ayeeyos who try it despite their weakness and weight, at one point in their life they were the pros :lol: I have never seen anyone get bored with Buraanbur.

NausPeter

Postby NausPeter » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:24 am

Wow,I like to dance very much and I am aware of all type of dance form whether it is classical or western but I was not aware of somali dance.I have seen the video and by watching it I really enjoyed and now I will try out this dance form also.To know more Check this out.

Sophisticate
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Sophisticate » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:22 am

Saylaci hands down

Can't forget Hariimaadee WilWilee

SultanOrder

Postby SultanOrder » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:04 am

What is the Haariimbee about Soph?

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.