Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

what is beautiful black woman?

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
zulaika
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

what is beautiful black woman?

Postby zulaika » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:02 pm

You know how they say a picture is worth a thousand words. A captioned picture is probably worth twice in fold. So I saw these 2 covers today and it got me wondering..

Despite the efforts of modern society to encourage women to self-determine and define their own beauty, what is beautiful always seems to be decided by society as whole and most women therefore end up ascribing to the "agreed upon" ideals of beauty..

Black women, who have to rely on this society's consensus of beauty..as contrived by the media, are portrayed here as "most beautiful" when they look like Lupita(who looks like a black woman) and "most influential" when they look like Beyonce(who looks like a white woman). So what is the message here that is implicitly sold to black women then?

Now I know some might wonder why I am discussing this in a Somali forum, and some might even argue that the Somali social paradigm for beauty is self-contained, with its own identity..within the scope of the western societies we live in. But if you look back at the Somali standard of beauty through somali gabey, songs and literature, where a beautiful young girl is described as full in weight, xaad(hairy arms/legs) and cabaadhya(lines on the neck), this ideal woman, in many respect, is a far cry from the present day somali girl's views on beauty. So what is our somali beauty standard in the diaspora?

YummyMummy
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Re: what is beautiful black woman?

Postby YummyMummy » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:14 pm

:russ: I must be the BEST looking woman around by Somali standards then, ticked all the boxes :lol:

blizzard90
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby blizzard90 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:15 pm

For me I believe its "Long hair" that defines the ultimate image of femeninity and the fact that jareer women can't grow long hair is the main reason why their beauty is downgraded.

YummyMummy
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby YummyMummy » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:20 pm

what I find more disturbing is this:
most beautiful woman: smiling face of natural black woman
most influencial woman: semi-nude photo of white-ified black woman

Black dude I work with said to me cynically: these white people don't really want our development. all this talk of racism being in the past is a lie. They just keep us to entertain them (i.e. sports, music, dancing)... true that.

Hyperactive
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Hyperactive » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:22 pm

is there one?

theyuusuf143
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: "Dareen naxli reeba iyo nolosha aan loo sinayn naftaaday dhaawacaan" by dhaglas

Postby theyuusuf143 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:29 pm

even imam was not beautifull in somali standard but in amerca they said she was one of the most beutifull black women america have ever seen. loool

i bet somali faarax woud not pay 5 camels to mary iman, because her type of women are considered ugly and skinny in the somali peninsula. but beyonce is absulutey sexy been allaa nacee., i am not not sure about her influence.

CarbonMonoxide

Postby CarbonMonoxide » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:31 pm

Did you know that the producers, editors and etc of all these clamor magazines and Hollywood sitcoms, movies and etc are 99% khaniis. Therefore, just as they're trying to normalize the unnatural hada waxey rabaan in ey naga dhaacdhcsiiyaan that Lupita is actually pretty

Murax
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Murax » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:11 pm

ZULAIKA YOU ARE TO ME :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose:
Last edited by Murax on Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

STARKAST
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby STARKAST » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:15 pm

'Black' is a political term alien to Somalis proper.

A successful African woman is a home-maker primarily with traditional values and supports her family (includes her husband) and community to the greatest standard.

Somalis/Muslims men or woman in the west are incompatible.
The west places value on what 'we' (as in proper Noble Somalis) consider kuffir or alien.

Nonetheless Lupita is not beautiful by any wordy standard ( 12 yrs a slave was shit also).
And Beyonce is the definition of decadence.

Basra-
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Basra- » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:25 pm

even imam was not beautifull in somali standard but in amerca they said she was one of the most beutifull black women america have ever seen. loool

i bet somali faarax woud not pay 5 camels to mary iman, because her type of women are considered ugly and skinny in the somali peninsula. but beyonce is absulutey sexy been allaa nacee., i am not not sure about her influence.

theyuusuf143 aka hyperactive

Walaal, this is NOT the way to go to heaven. Go repent right away before u die macaanto. :stylin:

I think Lupita is very beautiful. I am an authority to what is beautiful. She is not the most beautiful woman of course, but very beautiful. I think her beauty is not strictly physically. I think her elegance, eloquence, beautiful smooth glowing skin, phenomenon lips, fantastic teeth make her beautiful. Her speeches, her grace and manner of air adds to her allurements. Imagine Lupita with soft, silky flowing hair---she will be bewitching.

LobsterUnit
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby LobsterUnit » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:34 pm

Beyonce is described as influential because she is exactly that. The same way Oprah Winfrey would be described as influential.

LiquidHYDROGEN
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby LiquidHYDROGEN » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:35 pm

I never found beyonce beautiful for some reason. Don't get me wrong, I'd hit that out of the ball-park. But I don't find her slightly bulgey eyes or fake hair appealing. Lupita however, is beautiful because her features are impeccable and, for lack of a better word, refined. It's the same reason I find someone like Audrey Hepburn beautiful but not marilyn monroe.

Hyperactive
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Hyperactive » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:41 pm

Beyonce is described as influential because she is exactly that. The same way Oprah Winfrey would be described as influential.
influential for what, for ugly people?

kind of you can be ugly and rich and famous woman?

Basra-
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Basra- » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:42 pm

I never found beyonce beautiful for some reason. Don't get me wrong, I'd hit that out of the ball-park. But I don't find her slightly bulgey eyes or fake hair appealing. Lupita however, is beautiful because her features are impeccable and, for lack of a better word, refined. It's the same reason I find someone like Audrey Hepburn beautiful but not marilyn monroe.

U have just confessed u r a bisexual freak just from this quoted post. Good job. (or Good job to me to figure it out? Lol) :dj:

LiquidHYDROGEN
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby LiquidHYDROGEN » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:47 pm

Yep you caught me. I like women.

Basra sit your fatass down and go read jane eyre or some other boring english nonsense.
Last edited by LiquidHYDROGEN on Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.