Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do white people see me as black.

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
AyaanS

Re: Do white people see me as black.

Postby AyaanS » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:38 pm

It always makes me chuckle when Somali's think they are arab/or something else. [Anything but blaaackkk, uuuggghh].
I mean seriously, come on. I guess it's partly because they want to see Somali's as being "different/ABOVE" other black people, and partly a bit of self-hate.
If you are anything - you are black. Not white, not caucasian, not arab, not asian.
And if you are concerned about how you are 'seen' by people because of your Somali heritage, I don't know what to say to you but get a life.
I always tick the Black/African box. Sometimes they even have a

Black/African ----
------ Somali box.

I've never seen this, though I think it might come in handy for some people.

Black/Arab/Confused/Ashamed ----
------ Somali box.

Classiq
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Classiq » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:39 pm

Even if you dont look like the other africans in southern and west africa and are not closely related to them by genes, You are still viewed as African American unless Somalia isn't in Africa. People who hail from Egypt, Libya, Tunisia, Algeria, Morocco, Eritrea, Mauritania, And Northern Ethiopia that live in America are viewed as African American please dont deny where your from. The word black is wrong do we look like charcoal? First we need to identify who were are before we agree of what others think of us.

Casanova25
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Casanova25 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:42 pm

this sounds very stupid and dosen't make sense.. :meles:
What part of I AM NOT BLACK don't you understand walalo. Yes I am from AFRICA, and if you ask most AFRICANS we don't consider ourselves black. I don't know about you guys in Europe, but in America, blacks come from Slaves lineage, and last time I checked my fore-fathers weren't slaves.
somalis were not slaves but you can't deny the fact that somalis are black even thou they are not bantu.. Black caucasians maybe? but its silly to believe your not black

Classiq
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Classiq » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:59 pm

We have a caramel colour skin. We have the light caramel, and the dark caramel. Ive yet see a black somali, well only in somalia cause its hot as hell there and the sun is strong, lol we are prone to get dark but arabs live in the same condition but never get dark. Maybe its in your DNA?

MaliPrince
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby MaliPrince » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:08 pm

We have a caramel colour skin. We have the light caramel, and the dark caramel. Ive yet see a black somali, well only in somalia cause its hot as hell there and the sun is strong, lol we are prone to get dark but arabs live in the same condition but never get dark. Maybe its in your DNA?
you gonna have try a lil harder if u wanna troll right

STARKAST
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby STARKAST » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:26 pm

What does Black mean ? Black is a political term created in the west. its a ethnocentric term.Somalis are Somalis. Somalis are African. Somalis are not 'Black'.We are only black when it benefits us. Somalis are not West/South African Christians.....
Ask someone in Somalia if they are black. They will first state they are from this sub clan, this clan, this region and then they are somali and then Muslim....Black ? I don't think so.Do white people class themselves as white ? no, only when it benefits them...

The OP however is indeed a house Negro, cut from White cloth truly. Hydrogen :up:

Classiq
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Classiq » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:31 pm

Explain how im trolling

Julkimi
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight
Location: Somalinet boycott by Puntites in effect 12/24/14. GB,Quark, Righteous I will miss you my brothers.

Postby Julkimi » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:32 pm

Starburst: But blacks themselves don't want to claim you. Be proud of your African roots, and stop begging the blacks. Somalis are not BLACK. Point blank period.

jalaaludin5
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: “Beauties in vain their pretty eyes may roll; Charms strike the sight, but merit wins the soul.”

Postby jalaaludin5 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:33 pm

Why do American skinniest loves to be AA?

Always chose others, then put somali.

Black kulaha I never liked the idea of having a color as identity.

Who cares if others think you black.
Am sure if people know you somali and they see alshabab on TV they think that's where you from but little do they know you from puntland. lol

Dont shy away from correcting others when they make such horrible mixup.

What focking crime. Confusing majeerten royalty with lousy AA.

Somali baan ahay.

:pac:

Adali
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Throw me to the hyenas and I will return laughing as the pack leader.

Postby Adali » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:35 pm

African is completely alien to Somalis, black as a race is what we refer to South/West Africans, and what white people see Somalis as does not define who we are.

CRINGE !!! :lol:

I know this is the net, but please let this topic die now. :lol:

Classiq
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Classiq » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:39 pm

Explain how im trolling
Im waiting

Julkimi
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight
Location: Somalinet boycott by Puntites in effect 12/24/14. GB,Quark, Righteous I will miss you my brothers.

Postby Julkimi » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:40 pm

Am sure if people know you somali and they see alshabab on TV they think that's where you from but little do they know you from puntland. lol

Somali baan ahay.

YummyMummy
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby YummyMummy » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:03 pm

This thread is meaningless if Dittore Yalaxow doesn't come in and threaten "THE PICTURES ARE COMING MY NIGGA!!! THE PICTURES ARE COMING" :russ:

jalaaludin5
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: “Beauties in vain their pretty eyes may roll; Charms strike the sight, but merit wins the soul.”

Postby jalaaludin5 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:03 pm

Somali baan ahay.

I am serious when it comes to our somali identity undermined by the term black.

Friend of mine got into trouble with the police then we were all asked to give details.
When it came to the identity part, the officer asked what are you and am like...SOOMALI!
He was so innocent he searched for somali, couldn't find it on his list then read it to me.
Me...listen if gonna use colors then at least let's use the right colors.
Officer...what do you mean
Me...well officer I am African but skin color isn't black. You will be classed as white but if anything you close to pink.
Officer...I know what you mean and I didnt write down this list but I have to use it.
Me...but officer, when I was born I was given a name. I have language, a culture and a place I call home..Somalia. So to be honest I don't like the idea of substituting my identity for a color.

By this time I can see he is getting frustrated then ask me to please just pick what's on the list. I could see he couldn't wait to get back into the office. At the end I went for black African emphasising the somali part :lol:

Methylamine
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Methylamine » Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:31 pm

I self identify as Black when it comes to scholarship applications or when I'm applying for jobs that have a certain number of minorities it must hire. Other than that, I'm Bani Hashim biiiiiij :stylin:

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.