Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Review on The Secret - Law of Attraction

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
Bella18
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Review on The Secret - Law of Attraction

Postby Bella18 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:05 pm

I came across the video below on youtube, It was interesting trying to listen with the annoying soothing music on the background and the creepy voices of the paid actors... almost being under hypnosis :?
As I was watching, I was taking notes. It starts off with a depressed lady which had lost almost everything in life.
She is presented with great gift "The Secret". Then claims greatest people of the world knew about this secret.
Mind you, there are no actual quotes from the historians which validates the credibility of the secret. The point is it helped her overcome the depression.

There are fair few testimonies throughout the video by paid actors who are making more $$$, deceiving people by acknowledging this "law"of attraction exists and works all the time... it definitely is working for
them by selling such bullshit by "attracting" delusional people. The paid actors have well paid fancy job titles next to their names... I am pretty sure they did not become successful over night.
I remember one of the guy saying the three principles of the secret are "thoughts become things"
For instance, lets say you are depressed and supposedly activate your thoughts to treat yourselve from depression, you can't overcome from depression instantly... it will take time.

The whole video is absurd, its like saying you're poor because you think of it that way negatively, what kind of law is that?
The secret - Law of Attraction is a prime example of pseudoscience, it lacks scientifc facts. Heavily dependent on anecdotal evidence also the use of psychobabble.
Misappropriate use of "manifestation"to make the audience believe this is proven to be the secret to being happy and successful in life.

Anywho this is just my thoughts on the video :)

What are your secrets to being happy and successful?

Malachite
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Re: Review on The Secret - Law of Attraction

Postby Malachite » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:37 pm

Honestly, I dont see The Secret as being any different than any of those other "self help" book scams out there. Just another asshole looking to exploit people's insecurity.

I remember when "The Secret" first aired on Oprah. That's when I lost most of my respect for her intellect, I knew she wasn't a great critical thinker, but I had no idea how bad her wishful thinking was.. I still think she's a good hearted person who is an easy mark for new age scam artists :lol:

Bella18
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Bella18 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:09 am

^True that, only airheads would fall for that shidh..

I remember when it was on Oprah. anything to get more viewers Oprah would be down for that...as if she isn't successful enough
dadka kale buurta ka tuuraysaa qumayada :|

Sophisticate
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Sophisticate » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:59 am

I remember Bob Proctor I think he was really diehard about Napoleon Hill author of "Think and Grow Rich", a late19th/20th writer on personal success stories, detailing the lives of 500 of the most successful people during the turn of the century. Citing names like George Eastman, Henry Ford, Elmer Gates, John D. Rockefeller and
Andrew Carnegie. :myman:

I don't know Bob Proctor inside and out, just a few details about his life, He's Canadian :stylin: . I don't wish to discredit the Secret but a guest speaker on there was a sociopath, James Arthur Ray, who was charged with negligent homicide during a Sweat Lodge Retreat in Arizona. Still I'm sure a few things have some validity. I have never read the "Secret" but I'm sure like attracts like though. If you really want to make it big (very obscure word) it may be of benefit to hang around those more successful or wealthier than oneself - just a wild thought.

BlackVelvet
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby BlackVelvet » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:34 am

I think there is some truth to it.
its like saying you're poor because you think of it that way negatively, what kind of law is that?
:lol: and this is why it's some truth.

You can only improve your situation if you commit to it and you can only commit if you believe in the possibility of a positive outcome. I listened to Napoleon HIll and there are some gems in there it's mostly regurgitated philosophies but it helps to have the obvious reaffirmed. If there is evidence that it works (which it obviously will) then it can fire you up in the short term until you start to see your own results and base your efforts on previous success.

That said there are institutional factors that can't be ignored in the case of racism and policies towards certain countries. Nevertheless even with that there is hope for a positive change for as long as you as an individual and us as a collective believe actions can still have an impact.

GAMES
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby GAMES » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:46 am

This is so stupid. So all i have to do is, just wish to be *millionare* and it would magically happen? Yea right.....

Amira143
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Amira143 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:54 am

So this motivational book is supposed to miraculously jump start the thinking process of the, depressed, the weak minded and the faithless. *My opinion* In order to better their lives if they start asking the universe for the things they want? LOL what a load shenanigans :). Props to the author Lakin sure way to get rich of the delusional.

As for the secret to being happy and successful lies with our deen. The closer one is to Allah the more contended the heart is thus being happy in the dunya and successful both the here and the hereafter.

My two pennies worth.

Bella18
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Bella18 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:55 am

@Soph I did listen to "Think and Grow Rich" while ago....

I do agree with associating yourself with the elite will increase your chances of being successful....

Personal experience, while I was in high school, from 7th - 9th grade I used to hang around with people that didn't care of being at school or passing any of the grades.

From 10th grade and onwards I started turning away from them and associated myself with students whose heads were screwed on... believe it or not there was a massive difference in my final grade :)

@Jasmine abaayo, poor people are the happiest and I don't think they chose to live in that lifestyle but rather is a test for them.

They are happy regardless the wordly luxuries, having something most successful people don't have....going to bed without any worries and waking up with smile on their face not knowing what is in store for them :)

Malachite
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Malachite » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:00 am

Never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever *deep breath* ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever trust anything with the words 'Secret'' in the title :lol:

Amira143
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Amira143 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:02 am

Never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever *deep breath* ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever trust anything with the words 'Secret'' in the title :lol:

Looool :D

Bella18
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Bella18 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:04 am

So this motivational book is supposed to miraculously jump start the thinking process of the, depressed, the weak minded and the faithless. *My opinion* In order to better their lives if they start asking the universe for the things they want? LOL what a load shenanigans :). Props to the author Lakin sure way to get rich of the delusional.

As for the secret to being happy and successful lies with our deen. The closer one is to Allah the more contended the heart is thus being happy in the dunya and successful both the here and the hereafter.

My two pennies worth.
:up:

Those with imaan seek happiness within the deen.

Alxamdulilaah for everything :D

Malachite
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Malachite » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:12 am

Amira and Bella, do you both hail from the same house or something, you come on/post at the same time :lol:

Amira143
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Amira143 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:13 am

Amira and Bella, do you both hail from the same house or something, you come on/post at the same time :lol:

We are cyber twins. My righthand halimo. ;)

Bella18
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Bella18 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:14 am

Lol!

We live in two different continents, how is it possible to hail from the same house?

BlackVelvet
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby BlackVelvet » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:16 am

@Jasmine abaayo, poor people are the happiest and I don't think they chose to live in that lifestyle but rather is a test for them.

They are happy regardless the wordly luxuries, having something most successful people don't have....going to bed without any worries and waking up with smile on their face not knowing what is in store for them :)

If poor people are happy being poor then they will stay poor that kind of proves the "secret" theory but it's just common sense. If you look at any rags to riches story there was a heck of a lot of commitment and it came from that lack of contentment. If you are happy with what you have then that's wonderful but if you want to improve on it you need to have that thing in mind and not get comfortable with the now.

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.