Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mental Health

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
SimplySerene
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Mental Health

Postby SimplySerene » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:58 am

Salam,

I have been on these board for many years. One of the things I have always wanted to discuss and share on these boards is Mental Health.

I am only going share what I am comfortable with.

I have struggled with problems like anxiety and depression .

I think it stems from childhood. I was always a good kid but I would internalize things a lot. I think I became mildly depressed around 18 or 19. A lot of life changes at this time. New city. University. Job. Family struggles. Financial problems. Moving multiple times Etc. It became a situational problem where I didn’t have the proper tools to deal with stress. SO I would internalize everything, became very very tired.. Worrying made me exhausted and tired which led to depression. I was basically burnt out.
TO get my health in order I took a break from school and work. I did volunteer at a hospital and exercised and took medicine to get my energy level up which helped. Eventually I started back with school and work.

What I learned for this journey:

1.To know when to communicate and ask for help.
2. Learned to lighten my load in life and just do what I can
3. Have a lot more empathy for those who are even more worse off than me.

Why am I discussing this?

I think Somalis need to be more open to discussions about mental health issues. I have seen a lot and experienced a lot. For years I would feel ashamed about discussing this. But why should I? NO one is perfect. Yes my anxiety issues are still present but I am working on it. Some people have diabetes, some people have anger management issues. We all have our challenges and struggles.

I want Somalis to become more understanding and open concerning mental health problems, illness, disorders etc. There is a large amount of ignorance concerning this board issue. If I had to guess there are probably many Somalis struggling with Posttraumatic stress disorder especially since the continuing problems back in Africa.

I want people to discuss it more so they can help themselves and the people they care about. When an issue is not discussed enough then it creates more problems. Learn about it and please feel comfortable discussing it.

Anyways, that’s my story

I am not a great writer. So excuse any errors.

I realize people are going to troll this thread and me but I am okay with that :mrgreen: . I have been here long enough to know that happens

LMFAOO
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Re: Mental Health

Postby LMFAOO » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:05 pm

I admire you for being brave. :clap:

People take things too personally and depend their emotions on what people say or do. This leads definitivly to depression. Thank god I have always been a cold bitch at heart but still a nice person. It helps. :dj:

The first step is to take responsibility for your own emotions.

hunterKING
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby hunterKING » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:06 pm

Escapism. As long as I have enough money to buy vices and things to distract myself with, I won't feel depressed.

LMFAOO
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby LMFAOO » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:08 pm

Escapism. As long as I have enough money to buy vices and things to distract myself with, I won't feel depressed.
That's sad though. Can't you sit still in a room all by yourself and still be happy? You don't solve the problem by escaping. Nacasyahow.

hunterKING
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby hunterKING » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:13 pm

That's sad though. Can't you sit still in a room all by yourself and still be happy? You don't solve the problem by escaping. Nacasyahow.
You do solve it that way. Nacasyahay. You postpone it long enough that you die without having to face that shit. :up:

LMFAOO
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby LMFAOO » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:18 pm

You do solve it that way. Nacasyahay. You postpone it long enough that you die without having to face that shit. :up:
You don't need to live like that baby. You need to lock yourself in a room and work on finding peace within. Tuuko salada waryaa. :dj:

Do you care what other do? Do you expect others to make you happy? :dj:

YummyMummy
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby YummyMummy » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:23 pm

If it is possible to bond, respect and love someone online :heart: :rose: :heart: ilaahay khair iyo barako miidhan uun ban kaaga rajeenayaa, aamiin :up:

This is a painful and controversial topic, and as a Somali community we're obsessed with keeping up appearances and competing against each other, often at the detriment of the vulnerable ones among us whose troubles can be seen as an untimely inconvenience, at the least, or as a 'snake' in the game of brutal social snakes and ladders. Such snakes would then be shoved under the carpet and overlooked because their needs are secondary to this game. Darwin's theory of Natural Selection and all that jazz in play I guess, unfortunately, when there is not a single Somali family who haven't been touched by this.

We as a community need effective and diverse ways of tackling such issues in order to eradicate these views and provide a duty of care to all, in accordance to their needs.

Julkimi
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight
Location: Somalinet boycott by Puntites in effect 12/24/14. GB,Quark, Righteous I will miss you my brothers.

Postby Julkimi » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:48 pm

Simplyserene: Your topic made me teary eyed. I admire your bravery.

The reason why our people don't talk about depression or anxiety is because Somalis are the first to point and criticize you.

SS: you know my stance on this hun.

Niya
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight
Location: At the end of the tunnel, waiting for the light to come on.

Postby Niya » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:52 pm

Simple Serene,
Thank you for sharing your story, which is the story of many Somali families/individuals. We as a community need to educate ourselves about Mental Health considering what our nation has gone through and still going through and the amount of burden and responsibility put on the shoulders of young adults. There should be no stigma associated with any ailment whether it is Mental or Physical. Often times the remedies can be as simple as modifying behaviors, and establishing coping strategies. All that is needed is to talk and seek out the appropriate remedy from the professionals. There should be no reason why someone should not seek help, when the help is readily available.

Jeffo
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Jeffo » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:04 pm

I have suffered from depression and anxiety for most of 2013/2014. Enough so to drop out of my masters and become a shut in for 5 months. Mother is fine the way I am as long as I'm taking the neccessary steps forward to get better, although she does occasionally say "just don't embarrass me". I don't blame her it's just the way she was brought up, to define any kind of psychological problem as "waali".

Most of my issues come from being idle and unproductive. Which I'm getting over now so I know your feels.

Chin up pal

LoveandLight
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby LoveandLight » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:12 pm

I wish you peace and happiness.

Jeffo
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Jeffo » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:24 pm

Please donate to Jeffo wellbeing fund. Pm me for details.

Amira143
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Amira143 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:25 pm

Ma sha Allah! Good on you for being brave enough to share your story and struggles. I can imagine how hard that must be. Hopefully your story can/will help someone else to come terms with their own demons.

Mental health is an issue that needs addressing so well done again for highlighting a good cause. :up: Wish you all the best. :rose:

LMFAOO
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby LMFAOO » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:25 pm

Jeffo bro, keep yourself busy with goals that you want to accomplish and change your diet. That will make a huge difference. Eat more raw vegetables and fruits(juice the vegetables and fruits and you will get the nutriens immediately in the blood) if you can afford.

Jeffo
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Jeffo » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:26 pm

Jeffo bro, keep yourself busy with goals that you want to accomplish and change your diet. That will make a huge difference. Eat more raw vegetables and fruits(juice the vegetables and fruits and you will get the nutriens immediately in the blood) if you can afford.

Please refer to previous post.

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.