Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mental Health

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
LMFAOO
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Re: Mental Health

Postby LMFAOO » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:28 pm

I am sure you can afford food. Spend them wisely. :stylin:

Jeffo
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Jeffo » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:33 pm

LMFAOO
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby LMFAOO » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:39 pm

:lol:
:dj:

BlackVelvet
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby BlackVelvet » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:48 pm

Serene, beautiful thread, thank you for sharing it :rose: :up:

I find that anxiety is what gets me first then I get stressed and before I know it I am eating less and spending more time alone and I wonder how on earth it all happened because I don't know what's wrong (which stresses me out more) :lol:

But now I know, for me it's about control. The moment I feel like I don't have control over my life or don't know where I'm headed, not sure about what I'm doing, I get anxious, panicky. Like I'm trapped and life is passing me by. Even if everything seems perfect on the outside, if my mind is not organised it still has the same effect.

What helps me is deciding what I want, being honest, making lists and goals (things that are in my direct control) and then doing something about it. I have to take action, probably why some of the more risk averse people who know me think I am a bit "fudeed" :Shrug: but sitting around on my dreams depresses me.

Alxamdulillah, in the end it's a win-win. As long as you remain honest, realistic and smart about it you will be healthier and happier for trusting yourself, being present and being there for yourself and your aspirations.

Octavius
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight
Location: Oh Allah, I ask of you peace & faith in this world & in the hereafter

Postby Octavius » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:29 pm

Serene I commend your guts :up:

I dedicate to you this short composition.

Like rings of fire so interconnected
Almost indistinguishable from each other
They burn fiercely
Fuelling from each another's flames of pain and suffering
Ash and smoke dance, swirl and circle around
As though part of a wicked yet pleasurable ritual
You find yourself an observer to this
You are bewildered, yet enchanted
You feel the warmth on your clammy skin
Your heart beats so immensely fast
You feel your chest rocking your body
Your head spins as your eyes well up
Each shooting ray of light glimmers a thousand times in your eyes
The colours, hues and shades so vivid in your mind
From the outside you seem calm and defiant
But inside you are consumed by terror, fear and confusion
Overwhelmed with angst, overcome by it all
You stand there, awaiting the impact
In a moment you are jolted, jerked
You shift, move, involuntarily
You traverse infinite dimensions
And land with a plonk
Projected back to reality
And realise
What seemed like an eternity
Was but a split second in passing

SimplySerene
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby SimplySerene » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:23 pm

Thanks everyone. The comments and contributions are awesome. :up:

eliteSomali
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby eliteSomali » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:41 am

A lot of people will tell you that problems such as depression don't exist or are seldom in our community. It is really not true. It is just hidden and as you've mentioned above, people are stigmatized for admitting to such problems. Good on you for not only admitting it to yourself but for also seeking the necessary help that you needed.

blizzard90
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby blizzard90 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:21 am

I think people with mental problems are weak souls, its natures way of separating the weak from the strong. plus they shouldn't reproduce as they will pass it on to their kids

Leftist
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby Leftist » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:20 am

SimplySerene,

A ton of respect to you. Mental illness has ravaged our community; there isn't a single family that is free from it; yet we are all held captive to a taboo of silence: Thou shalleth never show weakness; thou shalleth always uphold "face" and the "good name" of thy family.

Depression, anxiety, bipolar-spectrum, schizo-spectrum are rife in our community, yet the vast majority of Somalis continue to believe in khuraafaat like: "waala ileystay" or "jinni baa galay", instead of treating these clinical diseases that are no different than diabetes or cancer. Imagine if we told a diabetic: " stop being weak, snap out of it, use your will-power to produce insulin" Imagine if we told a cancer patient: "It's all in your head; you are being weak and a loser, just pull yourself up and you can eradicate the cancerous cells that are wrecking your body".

Keep up the good work. Healing your mind is as important as healing your body: exercise, diet, meditation, focused targeted activity.

Immense Respect,
Leftist

Leftist
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby Leftist » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:25 am

Oh, and quraan-akhris and salaad-tuking(qiyaam ul layl) is scientifically proven to alleviate(not cure, but greatly alleviate, sometimes to the point of near-remission) depression and anxiety with as much effectiveness as prescription meds. There was a peer-reviewed study that I came across but can't find now.

By quraan-akhris, I mean reading it yourself.....not that calling a shaykh over "inuu kuugu tufo" nonsense.

Julkimi
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight
Location: Somalinet boycott by Puntites in effect 12/24/14. GB,Quark, Righteous I will miss you my brothers.

Postby Julkimi » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:05 am

I think people with mental problems are weak souls, its natures way of separating the weak from the strong. plus they shouldn't reproduce as they will pass it on to their kids
You're a piece of shit. I know you're trolling but there's a certain line that shouldn't be crossed. You're a sorry excuse of a human being.

Jeffo
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Jeffo » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:00 am

Define weak and strong to me after I murder your whole family.

Xildiiid
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Since light travels faster than sound, people appear bright until you hear them speak

Postby Xildiiid » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:03 am

Define weak and strong to me after I murder your whole family.

:pac:

SimplySerene
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby SimplySerene » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:57 am

Leftist I will seriously look that up. Thank you.

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.