Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

So you think you know Maay-Maay dialect?

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
Twist
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

So you think you know Maay-Maay dialect?

Postby Twist » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:42 am

In GeoSeven's thread, one of the requirement's for someone to be Above Proficient was knowing Maay-maay and other dialects and so far 6 people are in that category (according to the poll in that thread) so let's spice things up a bit, eh?

Below is a short Maay song. It's kaban with no drums and I chose this guy's song because he has clear voice, the song is short and the lyrics are kinda simple (compared to most of Samatar & Qoomaal songs, which are usually complicated). So, how much of the lyrics in this song can you write in standard Somali, like the Maxaa-tiri/tidhi Somali?

Julkimi
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight
Location: Somalinet boycott by Puntites in effect 12/24/14. GB,Quark, Righteous I will miss you my brothers.

Re: So you think you know Maay-Maay dialect?

Postby Julkimi » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:07 am

OMG

I didn't understand one word out of it. How many dialects of maay maay are there? because my granny can speak afmay may and I understand a little bit. But this song I didn't get one word.

Bella18
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Bella18 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:24 am

I'm not in that category lakin xariifkan looks like inu jacayl balambalshay Image

Chinaman
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Chinaman » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:40 am

Calling Af-Maay a dialect is wrong imho. Saho and Afar, two quite different languages are probably more closer to each other than Af-Maay & Standard Somali. Not to mention that a lot of the Maay we hear at times seems like it borrowed significantly from Standard Somali. I remember seeing a video from far areas of Bakool of what seemed like a mostly "Pure" form of Maay-Maay and I kid you not, I couldn't understand a single word!

Twist
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Twist » Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:19 am

Jul, there are other Raxanweyn dialects (or languages, not sure what to refer them, as Chinaman hinted) that are a lot more difficult than this. This guy is from Diinsoor/Baydhabo cities and he speaks the regular Maay, well at least to me that's how I understand his Maay.

Here he is at the Arte conference back in 2000 and I can't even understand half of what he's singing in this video, though I can understand about 80 % in the one I posted above:

Bella, you're right. It's about him lamenting about the loss of his love to another guy and arguing with love itself, saying "The girl I wanted is married to another guy, washing his clothes, kissing him at night and waking from the same bed with him in the morning so why are you swearing at me and bothering me like this, love? Why don't you go and bring her to me" etc. <<< Damn! I've just explained the gist of the whole song there. lol

Chinaman, I thought dialect was like Maay vs Maxaa and accents like the Mudugaawi vs, Hargeysaawi vs Hawd vs Xamar etc, no? Not really 100 % sure what is considered a dialect myself and always thought it the way I put it above.

barbarossa
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby barbarossa » Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:24 am

It is all Greek to me! It is true though when they say for one to enjoy a good, quality song, he/she does not necessarily need to understand or speak the language in which the song is being sung. I have enjoyed this song as if I had understood every single word. It was, for me, almost, as if the singer was singing not in Maaymaay but in a bona fide, classic version of the UNESCO protected reer Mudug dialect.

Twist
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Twist » Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:39 am

It is all Greek to me! It is true though when they say for one to enjoy a good, quality song, he/she does not necessarily need to understand or speak the language in which the song is being sung. I have enjoyed this song as if I had understood every single word. It was, for me, almost, as if the singer was singing not in Maaymaay but in a bona fide, classic version of the UNESCO protected reer Mudug dialect.

You're right though. Music goes beyond borders and is universal in a sense that one does not only enjoy a song in a foreign tongue but also can be moved by it.

I remember in the 90's back home, one night we were watching a Bollywood movie (Dil, to be exact. Starred by Aamir Khan, not sure if you saw it or not) and I swear I saw couple of chicks in tears in the cinema (well, home shineemo) when the actress was in tears and in those emotional songs etc. The movie is about a love story but seeing people getting emotional to a language they don't even understand kind left me with a weird impression since that night. lol

Shirib
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Shirib » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:52 pm

I think it's unfair to use a song. Poetry and music usually have another added degree of difficulty to understand due to the metaphors, hyperboles and just language that is used, which is often not the same as the common words one would use. You should find a regular talk or something.

jamal9
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby jamal9 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:01 pm

these are bantu somalians, no word they said is somali.

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.