Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Avoid Using Jareer as Derogatory and Tribal Slurs When referring to Others

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
Itrah
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Re: Avoid Using Jareer as Derogatory and Tribal Slurs When referring to Others

Postby Itrah » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:38 am

its also stupid considering many somalis have timo jareer themselves. calling other people maadoow is even dumber since somalis usually are among the darkest skin Africans.

I've simply come to the realizations Somalis are simply delusional. You could show them the picture of the average somali and they'd call that person jareer and maadoow. we've already seen that in countless threads on this site.
Well, the Jareer hair that is found in ethnic Somalis is usually not the super extreme type found in Bantus. It is more in between curly and kinky. While Jareers only have extreme kinky hair. When their hair is short you can see their skin through it as it doesn't even fully cover it. The Somali jareer hair type fully covers the head when short.

LobsterUnit
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby LobsterUnit » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:40 am

Potential 19 pager here.

gegiroor
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby gegiroor » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:41 am

I think the term Jareer is stupid. It refers to just one of the many physical attributes of the Bantu. The term Bantu is more applicable as it is a neutral term and emphasizes the foreignness of these groups more.
Yes, they refer to themselves as Somali Bantu; however, to say that they are foreigners is bogus and has no basis. As a matter fact, some of the Somali Bantu who settle around the Lower Shabelle river, particularly, reer Shabelle and Makane have been reported to be one of the indigenous people in the Horn of Africa. I think you're referring to the Gosha people who trace their roots to Tanzania, Mozambique, and Malawi. These people were taken to Somalia during the slave trade by Arab slave traders, and they run away from that ordeal. Today, they are Somalis, speak Swahili dialect and Somali as well.

Itrah
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Itrah » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:42 am

I think the term Jareer is stupid. It refers to just one of the many physical attributes of the Bantu. The term Bantu is more applicable as it is a neutral term and emphasizes the foreignness of these groups more.
Yes, they refer to themselves as Somali Bantu; however, to say that they are foreigners is bogus and has no basis. As a matter fact, some of the Somali Bantu who settle around the Lower Shabelle river, particularly, reer Shabelle and Makane have been reported to be one of the indigenous people in the Horn of Africa. I think you're referring to the Gosha people who trace their roots to Tanzania, Mozambique, and Malawi. These people were taken to Somalia during the slave trade by Arab slave traders, and they run away from that ordeal. Today, they are Somalis, speak Swahili dialect and Somali as well.
They are foreigners at the end of the day, no matter how you spin it.

Based
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Based » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:49 am

I helped my Uncle get his car fixed once when he noticed this Jareer guy easily lifting heavy ass parts.

Uncle-"War ilaahay baan kugu dhaarshay, bal fiiri nimankan adoonta ah xooguu ilaahay siiyey. Mindhaa muruq baa loogu badalay maskax kkk"

Dude-"Ani maa iga hadlee sidaa waryaa"

Based: :damn: :damn: :damn:

Itrah
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Itrah » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:54 am

I helped my Uncle get his car fixed once when he noticed this Jareer guy easily lifting heavy ass parts.

Uncle-"War ilaahay baan kugu dhaarshay, bal fiiri nimankan adoonta ah xooguu ilaahay siiyey. Mindhaa muruq baa loogu badalay maskax kkk"

Seriously?

:dead:

gegiroor
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby gegiroor » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:56 am

its also stupid considering many somalis have timo jareer themselves. calling other people maadoow is even dumber since somalis usually are among the darkest skin Africans.

I've simply come to the realizations Somalis are simply delusional. You could show them the picture of the average somali and they'd call that person jareer and maadoow. we've already seen that in countless threads on this site.
:up: :up:

gegiroor
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby gegiroor » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:58 am

They are foreigners at the end of the day, no matter how you spin it.
Says who? Shut up man, you're really projecting your ignorance!

Itrah
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Itrah » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:01 am

The ''Reer Shabelle'' and Makanne are run away slaves formerely held in Mogadishu. They are not from the Horn of Africa. There is no such thing as native Bantus to the Horn. They all came in via the Swahili slave trade.

gegiroor
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby gegiroor » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:01 am

I have noticed people using Jareer name as derogatory names when they are referring to other non-Somali Africans with kinky hair. FTrirst, Jareer-weyne is one of the tribes in Somalia. They speak Somali like each one of us. They are fellow Muslims just like the overwhelming majority of the Somalis. However, they suffer discrimination at many levels within the Somali society. Therefore, each time someone uses their name as tribal slurs or as a derogatory name in order to denigrate others, that person is touching deep wounds that already existed. Since we're their fellow Muslims and fellow countrymen and women, we should be avoiding using the name of a persecuted minority as a way to mock others. Heck, it is 2015, and people who supposedly have gone through the Western education system are still caught up in that backward mentality. Time to grow up folks and show respect to one of our own.
hey carab man. somalis are delusional backward people. they have no sense and can't be reasoned with. i wouldn't waste my time trying to use logic and reason.
Me being a Carab Man? You're kidding, right? I agree with you that Somalis "have no sense and can't be reasoned with. I wouldn't waste my time trying to use logic and reason. "

One of the rare cases we agree :lol:

Based
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Based » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:04 am

Seriously?

:dead:
Yeah man, worst part was he didn't even think he did anything wrong.

Maxaa isla xanajineesa ninyahow kulahaa

:mindblown:

gegiroor
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby gegiroor » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:17 am

The ''Reer Shabelle'' and Makanne are run away slaves formerely held in Mogadishu. They are not from the Horn of Africa. There is no such thing as native Bantus to the Horn. They all came in via the Swahili slave trade.
Where is your proof?

Fyi, the ones who came to Somalia during the slave trade have kept their languages. These are the examples of the ones who kept their original tribal languages and the return for some of them into their ancestral homeland:

Somali Bantus gain Tanzanian citizenship in their ancestral land
http://www.unhcr.org/4a28cd886.html

Tanzania: Bantu Homecoming
[youtube]watch?v=O27FKnqufaI[/youtube]

Ok now the challenge is on you too prove it to us that Makane and Reer Shabelle are runaway slaves.

gegiroor
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby gegiroor » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:22 am

Tragically, the Evangelical Christian missionaries are converting some of them into Christianity. These effort has been going on since the colonial times, but it has been fully sped up during the 24-year old endless civil war, and many of them have been kept separate from the rest of the Somali refugees in Kenya, so the missionaries can have successful outcome.
Last edited by gegiroor on Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

gegiroor
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby gegiroor » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:23 am

Yeah man, worst part was he didn't even think he did anything wrong.

Maxaa isla xanajineesa ninyahow kulahaa

:mindblown:
It is institutionalized racism.

Itrah
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Itrah » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:24 am

Ok now the challenge is on you too prove it to us that Makane and Reer Shabelle are runaway slaves.
Just look at their face. Enough evidence. They look like Congolese and evolutionary speaking could have never evolved like that in the Horn.

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.