Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Muslim Woman Denied Job Over Head Scarf Wins in Supreme Court

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
Leftist
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Muslim Woman Denied Job Over Head Scarf Wins in Supreme Court

Postby Leftist » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:29 pm

WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court on Monday revived an employment discrimination lawsuit against Abercrombie & Fitch, which had refused to hire a Muslim woman because she wore a head scarf.

“This is really easy,” Justice Antonin Scalia said in announcing the decision from the bench.

The company at least suspected that the woman, Samantha Elauf, wore the head scarf for religious reasons, Justice Scalia said, and its decision not to hire her was motivated by a desire to avoid accommodating her religious practice. That was enough, he concluded, to allow her to sue under federal employment discrimination law.

The vote was 8-to-1, with Justice Clarence Thomas dissenting.

The case started in 2008, when Ms. Elauf, then 17, applied for a job in a children’s clothing store owned by Abercrombie & Fitch at the Woodland Hills Mall in Tulsa, Okla. She wore a black head scarf but did not say why.

Continue reading the main story
RELATED COVERAGE

Samantha Elauf, center, with Majda Elauf, her mother, and David Lopez, general counsel for the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, on Wednesday.In a Case of Religious Dress, Justices Explore the Obligations of EmployersFEB. 25, 2015
The company declined to hire her, saying her scarf clashed with the company’s dress code, which called for a “classic East Coast collegiate style.” After the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission sued on Ms. Elauf’s behalf, the company said it had no reason to know that Ms. Elauf’s head scarf, a hijab, was required by her faith.

In its Supreme Court brief in the case, E.E.O.C. v. Abercrombie & Fitch Stores, No. 14-86, the company argued that job applicants should not be allowed “to remain silent and to assume that the employer recognizes the religious motivations behind their fashion decisions.”

After the case was argued in February, an Abercrombie spokesman said the company “has a longstanding commitment to diversity and inclusion, and consistent with the law has granted numerous religious accommodations when requested, including hijabs.”

The Supreme Court ruled that Ms. Elauf did not have to make a specific request for a religious accommodation to obtain relief under the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which prohibits religious discrimination in hiring.

At the trial, Ms. Elauf said she loved movies, shopping, sushi and the mall. “It’s like my second home,” she said. Her experience with Abercrombie, she said, made her feel “disrespected because of my religious beliefs.”

“I was born in the United States,” she said, “and I thought I was the same as everyone else.”

A jury awarded Ms. Elauf $20,000.

But the United States Court of Appeals for the 10th Circuit, in Denver, ruled for the company.

“Ms. Elauf never informed Abercrombie prior to its hiring decision that she wore her head scarf, or ‘hijab,’ for religious reasons,” Judge Jerome A. Holmes wrote for the court.
Eebbow dhowr beesha secular-liberal, and all those brave men and women who marched in the streets over the past 2 centuries and gave up so much of their time and money, so that today, in this post-9/11 world of ours, a muslimah can be awarded $20,000; whereas if she was in "muslim countries" like "bilaad al-xaramayn", she would've been told discrimination and oppression is a feature, not the bug. It's the norm, not the exception. But "We" are still better than "them filthy kufaar". How? Why ? Shaykh hebel who lived in the 10 century said so.

Beesha secular-liberal

Beesha rule-of-law

Beesha civil rights

Beesha "all humanity is equal and no religion/ethnic-group is better than another, no matter what your clerics say and swear by"

Everybody stand up and salute beesha barakaysan :wow:

Idman702
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Re: Muslim Woman Denied Job Over Head Scarf Wins in Supreme Court

Postby Idman702 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:31 pm

Why would anyone with a hijab want to work at Abercrombie and Fitch? Don't they sexualize their employees?

And who still shops there? :lol:

FieldMarshalMenace
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby FieldMarshalMenace » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:33 pm

That effing son of a slave Clarence was the only one to shut her down...no wonder all the Madoow hate this guy..I remember watching a 60 min and I had the impression the guy was regretful for being born into a race of his not choosing

grandpakhalif
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby grandpakhalif » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:35 pm

Enjoy secularism while the Prophet and Islam are being ridiculed with the same laws.

FieldMarshalMenace
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby FieldMarshalMenace » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:38 pm

Why would anyone with a hijab want to work at Abercrombie and Fitch? Don't they sexualize their employees?

Hey bro! Why not! I've had the pleasure of just admiring this gorgeous somali girl with a nice Kuwaiti style hijab ( the ones that make them look an owl) works at this forever 21 store that I usually buy my shades....I ain't mad at her for turning me down but I tried :meles: :meles:

Leftist
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby Leftist » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:59 pm

That effing son of a slave Clarence was the only one to shut her down...no wonder all the Madoow hate this guy..I remember watching a 60 min and I had the impression the guy was regretful for being born into a race of his not choosing
Mother-hubbards be misunderestimating the Field Marshall, but he got some serious knowledge, insight and observational skillz. I doubt that anybody else here(maybe FAH, but that's it) would've caught Uncle Tom's dissenting vote in the article, and be able to tie that to background knowledge of Ina Thomas's self-hating history, as well as his hypocritical anti-minority, anti-poor people, pro-rich white folk stances, after he owes everything he's achieved to programs & initiatives used to help minorities and working-class people.

I watched that 60 minutes show too and that was my exact same thought: "damn is this self-hating Uncle Tom trying too hard". Specifically, the way he would over-enunciate his words was cringe-worthy, it send out a signal saying " cadaan beoble: please accept me, do you not see how crisply I speak? Unlike those coloreds with their heavy accents and hippity-hop slang" Note: there's nothing wrong with over-enunciating your words if that is how you normally speak, but this Uncle Tom was born and raised in the Deep SOUTH, yet he scrubbed his accent, speech, and words of any hint of his working-class background and southern black tradition. To top it all off, he's married to.....you guessed right, a platinum blonde hardcore republican lady.

Waa kanaa Clarence "Uncle Tom" Thomas:

FieldMarshalMenace
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby FieldMarshalMenace » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:07 pm

Marrying a white woman is one thing but this guy married a blondes of blondes but that's still ok if I didn't sense or come to understand that this guy has reached a delusional point where he has mentally disassociated himself from the skin color he was born into...

Btw he was the son of a sharecropper ...unfcuking believable...

Also it would've been an ounce better if this guy was even lighter but dude got thick Bantu stocky features

Leftist
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby Leftist » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:26 pm

this guy has reached a delusional point where he has mentally disassociated himself from the skin color he was born into
Well-put, but it's not just skin color; he's completely disassociating himself from anything and everything that has to do with working-class/poor people and minorities. He's drunken the Cadaan Beoble Republican Kool-Aid.

Also, nothing wrong with marrying a white-woman if you''re marrying for the right reasons. Eric Holder and his wife come to mind, healthy people, healthy relationship.Holder was very active in pro-civil rights movement in college, law school, and throughout his career.

But when you're self-hating Clarence, you're marrying a white woman to run away from your own identity(a black man) and your background(sharecropper, Deep South).

In his memoir, self-hating Clarence talks about how his classmates used to make fun of his strong African features(flat wide nose and dark skin). So, cuqdadii oo xiligaas qaaday, ilaa maanta woo wataa.

Kaafiye
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Kaafiye » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:33 pm

this guy has reached a delusional point where he has mentally disassociated himself from the skin color he was born into
Well-put, but it's not just skin color; he's completely disassociating himself from anything and everything that has to do with working-class/poor people and minorities. He's drunken the Cadaan Beoble Republican Kool-Aid.

Also, nothing wrong with marrying a white-woman if you''re marrying for the right reasons. Eric Holder and his wife come to mind, healthy people, healthy relationship.Holder was very active in pro-civil rights movement in college, law school, and throughout his career.

But when you're self-hating Clarence, you're marrying a white woman to run away from your own identity(a black man) and your background(sharecropper, Deep South).

In his memoir, self-hating Clarence talks about how his classmates used to make fun of his strong African features(flat wide nose and dark skin). So, cuqdadii oo xiligaas qaaday, ilaa maanta woo wataa.
Now I'm going to ask you a question:

Can you give me evidence that Clarence Thomas hates his own people? I mean, other than the fact that he married a white woman, which is speculative at best. I'm not a fan of Clarence either, but there's this fundamental belief that Clarence Thomas hates black people and I'm asking you for evidence.

Kaafiye
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Kaafiye » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:44 pm

I watched that 60 minutes show too and that was my exact same thought: "damn is this self-hating Uncle Tom trying too hard". Specifically, the way he would over-enunciate his words was cringe-worthy, it send out a signal saying " cadaan beoble: please accept me, do you not see how crisply I speak? Unlike those coloreds with their heavy accents and hippity-hop slang" Note: there's nothing wrong with over-enunciating your words if that is how you normally speak, but this Uncle Tom was born and raised in the Deep SOUTH, yet he scrubbed his accent, speech, and words of any hint of his working-class background and southern black tradition. To top it all off, he's married to.....you guessed right, a platinum blonde hardcore republican lady.
You are the King of Assumptions and jumping to conclusions, because you are an over-emotional wreck who has no idea what he's talking about. This is the exact same myopic mindset which lead to the civil war in Somalia, where people couldn't even come together and sort out their differences.....while instead choosing to create over-simplistic caricatures of their opponents. It reminds me of the paranoid Somalis of the 1990's who had the most ridiculous beliefs about people of opposing tribes.

It's nice to see you have the same retarded mindset.

Now I'm not claiming to be a fan of Clarence Thomas. I'm not an American so I frankly do not care that much. But if this man is "self-hating" because he speaks in a Northern accent, then would a typical Somali in Toronto be self-hating if he speaks in perfect Canadian English, rather than with the Somali accent which his parents, uncles, and grandparents speak with? Stay consistent. You take your Hooya to English classes and try to make her speak perfect English, without slang and without a noticeable accent. But then you look down on Clarence Thomas for doing the exact same thing. You're an absolute hypocrite.

You do realize that this man is a member of the Supreme Court, and it's imperative that he speaks in proper English, enunciating his words, and not using any slang. He's not some store clerk or a barber. He's a member of the Supreme Court.

You don't see the other White members of the Supreme Court speaking like this, yet you expect the Black man too. You've lowered your standards subconsciously, and you expect this black man to be "down with the hood" simply due to his racial origin. You're a f-king RACIST. You resent Clarence Thomas not because of what he did, but because he's a Black man who reached a high office in the US Government and then he has the nerve to have a dissenting opinion from yourself. You don't like him because he disagrees with your opinions.

This is why you're pointing to his wife. You're claiming that this man is "self-hating" because he has a White wife. Only a child would make such an argument, and no self-respecting man would EVER bring up a man's wife when he's getting into an argument with him. I can dislike George W Bush or Barack Obama all I want, but you won't ever hear me talking about their wives.

You're too low for words.

Leftist
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby Leftist » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:33 pm

Mailman/Kaafiye,

Ever heard of the term projection?
Psychological projection is a theory in psychology in which humans defend themselves against unpleasant impulses by denying their existence in themselves, while attributing them to others.[1] For example, a person who is rude may constantly accuse other people of being rude
So it's pretty funny, but predictable, that you would call me(proud liberal), a racist, when you genuinely believe that Somali Bantu people are inferior to you, and that Somali Bantu people should be forcibly deported back to "where they came from", all the while you enjoy the comforts, benefits, & rights of secular-liberal( u mad bro) Europe which rescued you and your family from poverty and starvation and don't ask you to go back to "where you came from" and don't ask you to stop worshiping a "a black stone" and don't try to convert you from Caqeedah Al'Laandheere'iyah nor call you a "filthy shia/ahmedi/bah'ai/ismaili". Of course, with you being as bright as a bag of rocks, the sordid irony and all-encompassing hypocrisy of this situation will escape you. In fact, your entire life & belief-system is a knitted bundle of contradiction & hypocrisy that you remain oblivious to, blissfully so

Regarding Clarence Thomas, your understanding of Americana Politics & History is as weak as your understanding of Islam. Maskaxda xaar baa kaaga buuxo, lil asaf, and I seriously doubt that you have the raw intelligence needed to extract answers to your own questions, but in the off-chance that you can, here, aqriso: http://www.raceandhistory.com/historica ... thomas.htm

Really curious, how old are you, or what age-range? If this is how your brain works and you're in ur late-teens and early 20's, you still have hope. But if you're mid/late 20's and above, the xaar in between your ears has calcified and well, I was gonna say there's no hope, but there's always hope, even for you.

FAH1223
webmaster

Postby FAH1223 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:35 pm

The incident happened in 2008.

Kaafiye
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Kaafiye » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:55 pm

Mailman/Kaafiye,

Ever heard of the term projection?
Psychological projection is a theory in psychology in which humans defend themselves against unpleasant impulses by denying their existence in themselves, while attributing them to others.[1] For example, a person who is rude may constantly accuse other people of being rude
So it's pretty funny, but predictable, that you would call me(proud liberal), a racist, when you genuinely believe that Somali Bantu people are inferior to you, and that Somali Bantu people should be forcibly deported back to "where they came from", all the while you enjoy the comforts, benefits, & rights of secular-liberal( u mad bro) Europe which rescued you and your family from poverty and starvation and don't ask you to go back to "where you came from" and don't ask you to stop worshiping a "a black stone" and don't try to convert you from Caqeedah Al'Laandheere'iyah nor call you a "filthy shia/ahmedi/bah'ai/ismaili". Of course, with you being as bright as a bag of rocks, the sordid irony and all-encompassing hypocrisy of this situation will escape you. In fact, your entire life & belief-system is a knitted bundle of contradiction & hypocrisy that you remain oblivious to, blissfully so

Regarding Clarence Thomas, your understanding of Americana Politics & History is as weak as your understanding of Islam. Maskaxda xaar baa kaaga buuxo, lil asaf, and I seriously doubt that you have the raw intelligence needed to extract answers to your own questions, but in the off-chance that you can, here, aqriso: http://www.raceandhistory.com/historica ... thomas.htm

Really curious, how old are you, or what age-range? If this is how your brain works and you're in ur late-teens and early 20's, you still have hope. But if you're mid/late 20's and above, the xaar in between your ears has calcified and well, I was gonna say there's no hope, but there's always hope, even for you.
1. I don't believe I'm superior to anyone, including other Africans. I've said that on numerous occasions on this forum. All Muslims are equal in my eyes, regardless of their racial origin. Perhaps reading comprehension isn't something that comes easy to you Leftist.

2. I live in Canada.

3. His stance on affirmative action is a valid one, and there are numerous studies showing how Affirmative Action can be detrimental in the long-term to those who are it's alleged beneficiaries. Case in point; California scrapped it's affirmative action program in 1996 and the results were extremely positive, for blacks and for whites. But expecting you to know that would be expecting too much, as you've been poisoned by this Liberal victimhood garbage for your entire life. Hence your name "Leftist".

4. You still haven't given me one shred of evidence proving that Clarence Thomas's legal positions are a result of an inferiority complex, rather than the opinions of a legal scholar who just happens to disagree with you. That's the problem with you extreme liberals. You create fictional caricatures of your opponents, claiming them to be immoral or unscrupulous, all the while you proclaim yourself to be on the side of the truth and goodness. You can't just disagree. This is the exact same mindset which destroyed our country, and it isn't surprising that you have the same exact mindset.

5. You are an undeniable racist for your above posts. You expect Blacks who reach High Office to have certain predispositions, behaviors, and opinions. Any Black man who deviates from your worldview is by definition a "self-hater" or a "sellout", according to your twisted definition. It never occurred to you that Blacks---just like all other humans---have different opinions on different issues, and that they can learn to disagree. But no, you have this "I'm right, you're wrong" mentality which shows you to be the hypocrite that you are. You constantly rant about religious extremists not tolerating dissenting opinion, but then you have the nerve to do the exact same thing.

6 At least I'm consistent. At least I admit that I'm an Islamic Supremacist. You on the other hand, claim to be something you're not, and you show your true colors here on this forum.

Kaafiye
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Kaafiye » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:00 pm

Watch this "Leftist" character go on a 1 page rant, insulting Clarence Thomas's wife for being White. Now tell me what kind of self-respecting man would bring up his opponent's wife in an argument? You've resorted to attacking the man's wife? Really?

It's a sign that he lost. It's a sign that he's an ignorant man-child with an enormous ego and limited intelligence.

Basra-
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Basra- » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:02 pm

Marrying a white woman is one thing but this guy married a blondes of blondes but that's still ok if I didn't sense or come to understand that this guy has reached a delusional point where he has mentally disassociated himself from the skin color he was born into...

Btw he was the son of a sharecropper ...unfcuking believable...

Also it would've been an ounce better if this guy was even lighter but dude got thick Bantu stocky features

Nothing wrong with marrying the blondes of the blondes. We wont hold that against him. Nothing wrong with being the son of a sharecropper either. If he is, then--it makes even more SWEETER that he has reached as far as the US SUPREME COURT. (by luck of course, not from mental intelligencia acumen)

But there is fundamentally something wrong that this man of low intelligence made it to the US Supreme court. That fact offends walaahi. Even the Italian Scalia---he shouldn't be there. Even the Spanish Sotomayer. I am sorry, but they needed to find the BEST mentally spectacular smart minorities to fill in these very important positions. They are an embarrassment to their respective minority race. :stylin:

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.