Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dear ignorant waxmagarato: Rape/Ceeb culture absolutely does exist in Somali society& culture

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
SomaliWarSavage

Re: Dear ignorant waxmagarato: Rape/Ceeb culture absolutely does exist in Somali society& culture

Postby SomaliWarSavage » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:20 pm

Buraanbur :clap:

These hypocrites will never accuse Ancient Egypt of being a patriarchal, sexist society. Yet they have the nerve to accuse Somali society of being this way.

Most of these liberal hypocrites have never even visited Somalia. I doubt they have any real knowledge about the dynamics of Somali society/culture.
most of them can't even carry a conversation in somali with their parents. thats what bothers me, they use the Somali title so they can fit in with the pro black losers on twitter.

Machiavelli2
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Re: Dear ignorant waxmagarato: Rape/Ceeb culture absolutely does exist in Somali society& culture

Postby Machiavelli2 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:29 pm

Leftist

Ina Adeer, much kudos to you how you stir the pot here and bring forth issues that warrant to be discussed. Your inflammatory style is always directed at those who consider themselves to be guardians of our culture with no hear/read evil about it and claim that we possess a perfect culture. Some have a point in stating rape is a decadent global issue, however like everywhere else going through a civil war, Rape has been used widely as a weapon of war in Somalia. Furthermore, sexual violence is under reported in Somalia for many different reasons. Just google Rape in Somalia and you will see U.N reports stating it is rampant in Somalia. We can't get rid of this evil if we keep denying it. Do we have a rape culture? I don't think so. You need to convince your esteemed readers how our culture will tolerate such a despicable act.

Buraanbur
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Buraanbur » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:20 am

I don't think anyone's arguing that rape or violence against women does not exist in Somalia / Somali community in the diaspora. What we're arguing against is the claim that there's a 'rape culture' in our community and that the community should be held responsible for shaming victims in to silence. Ceeb culture is a result of the victims environment and the mindset of his/her immediate circle.

Rape as a tool of war and the underreporting of rape & gender-based violence is a global occurrance. It's not something that's exclusive to 'repressive', 'backwards', cultures like some would like to claim. We are against the vilification of the Somali community and the outrageous claims being made by a subset of Twitter activists to further their own agenda.

I do agree with you that this is a topic that needs to be discussed in our community. Not doing so would allow these self-serving individuals to be the only voice on this issue.

Machiavelli2
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Machiavelli2 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:00 am

I don't think anyone's arguing that rape or violence against women does not exist in Somalia / Somali community in the diaspora. What we're arguing against is the claim that there's a 'rape culture' in our community and that the community should be held responsible for shaming victims in to silence. Ceeb culture is a result of the victims environment and the mindset of his/her immediate circle.

Rape as a tool of war and the underreporting of rape & gender-based violence is a global occurrance. It's not something that's exclusive to 'repressive', 'backwards', cultures like some would like to claim. We are against the vilification of the Somali community and the outrageous claims being made by a subset of Twitter activists to further their own agenda.

I do agree with you that this is a topic that needs to be discussed in our community. Not doing so would allow these self-serving individuals to be the only voice on this issue.
Buraanbur

Ina Adeer, I absolutely agree with all your points above and let me admit to you my ignorance, this is the first time I ever heard of "ceeb culture". I thought the ceeb culture was about the rape itself and not the added victimisation of the raped person. Family dynamics differ from one another, some will report and others may not, while most aren't aware because the victim decided not to tell anyone for her own reasons. In the Western world, the majority of rape cases are under reported, even when reported, it won't lead to an arrest and a successful prosecution.

Rape Is Grossly Underreported In The U.S., Study Finds.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/2 ... 10765.html

Unreported rapes: the silent shame

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/cr ... 61636.html

It is a universal phenomenon rather than a Somali "ceeb culture".

Buraanbur
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Buraanbur » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:53 am

I absolutely agree. Also, rape has been used as a weapon of war by organizations such as ISIS and institutions such as the U.S. military. This is a global phenomenon and should be addressed as such. The fact that we are even willing to acknowledge that rape and gender-based violence exists in our communities shows that we as a community do not participate in victim blaming / shaming. The question I have for those who believe Somalis suffer from 'ceeb culture' is, what part of our culture or religion allows rape or encourages it to be swept under the rug?

SonofANomad
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby SonofANomad » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:10 am

Buraanbur!

The fact that these self righteous pricks dominate the social media and the mainstream media circle with they're one sided bias!

When they are not willing to allow you to voice a difference of opinion to they're invalid baseless claims, then how can you expect a discussion or debate to address issues!

It's actually the other way around it's these social justice warriors & feminists who silence people from speaking and shame them for voicing an opposing views! It almost hypocritical and a fail when they talk about the made up ceeb culture!

It's more importantly the we who rely on truth and solid research to make our voices heard and not be overshadowed by the constant propaganda they spew!

You guys raised a valid point the neglect of the fact that rape in somalia is mainly used as weapon of war by amisom and Alshabab!

This issues are what we call global issues that underlined social issues, economical issues, political issues and so on!

Its easy to be Miyopic and blame everything at culture or religion and not rely on actual understanding research & attempt at looking things with a total picture without biases!

Jugjugwacwac
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Jugjugwacwac » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:36 pm

Buraanbur, Kaafiye, Gegiroor, Prince and Sonofnomad Illaahay cimrigiina ha dheereeyo. Wallaahi cashar lama ilaawaan ah iyo dhirbaaxo aysan ka soo waaqsan karin ayaad kooxdan dhaqankood-ka-carar ka ah wajiga kaga dhufateen. :clap:

Ismail87
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Ismail87 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:06 pm

Prince and Buranbur :up:

Can't wait for Leftist's reply lol.

Lamagoodle
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Lamagoodle » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:46 am

Dr. Leftist, more of this saaxib!!!!!

MissFiora
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby MissFiora » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:26 am

Denial is just not some river in Egypt. Check out statistics regarding rape in the West and how many of them go unreported, and this happens in societies where resources are readily available for rape victims. Imagine in our home country?

I like to have discussions with my mum about trending topics. Just this week I talked to her about the Farxiya case, just before that I mentioned how she is a crusader for LGBT community then we got to her rape, my mum's response was "wax bay so wadaa" I asked what do you mean she said maybe she wants to come out as a lesbian and is using the rape as a stepping stone LOL!. Denial much? She proceeded to say reerkeeda way ceebaysey. Talk to your parents about these things, u will be surprised.

If any youtubers are out there conduct a social experiment, whereby you tell your parents you were molested/raped by a close relative see there reaction. Guaranteed all those in denial will be in for a rude awakening.

gegiroor
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby gegiroor » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:42 pm

Is there any reason why Lama is putting the old threads of Leftists at the forefront on SNET? We can only infer from the fact that Dr. Lama and Leftist nicks belong to the same person.

Ok Dr Lama, I think I said enough bro 8-)

Lamagoodle
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Lamagoodle » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:52 pm

LOL Gegigoor, I have been informed of these great threads which were introduced by Dr. Leftist in my absence. I was AWOL for nearly a month. When I returned, my sources informed me about them; in addition, I was also informed that you claimed I was Dr. Leftist (don't deny that during this month of ramadan!!). How dare you make such a comparison. Dr. Leftist is an islamic scholar of the highest order, Jaalle Lamagoodle never passed past Tabaarak!!!!!

Dr. Leftist is our Hegel, Marx and all the other great men with ideas. Lamagoodle is a simpleton .

Ismail87
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Ismail87 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:06 pm

Lamagoodle, do you agree with Leftist when he says that Islam needs a reformation?

Saxiibkaa sida loo karbaashay he has abandoned his own thread :lol:

theyuusuf143
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: "Dareen naxli reeba iyo nolosha aan loo sinayn naftaaday dhaawacaan" by dhaglas

Postby theyuusuf143 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:17 pm

Nin weyn oo dhowr iyo labaatan jiraan ahay inan garcatay arkay laakiin weligay inan la kufsaday ma ma arag.

Kaafiye
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Kaafiye » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:06 pm

Lamagoodle, do you agree with Leftist when he says that Islam needs a reformation?

Saxiibkaa sida loo karbaashay he has abandoned his own thread :lol:
Lamagoodle obviously agrees with the sentiments of this Leftist character. Lamagoodle obviously has some deep contempt for religious Somalis, and that's why you'll see him consistently bring them up.....even during topics that have absolutely NOTHING to do with "Wahhabism".

But if Lamagoodle wants to insist that "Islam needs a Reformation"...which is implying that Islam is imperfect and needs to be changed by "enlightened" 21st century Muslims......then this is very very telling.

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.