Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

TRUE PATRIOTISM AND NATIONALISM

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
fagash_killer
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: And You Can Run For ya Back-up But Them Machine Gun Shells Gone Tear Ya back Up

TRUE PATRIOTISM AND NATIONALISM

Postby fagash_killer » Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:01 am

“Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.” Charles de Gaulle=.

The civil war in Somalia has generally zeroed out the opportunities for wealth creation; however, there are individuals or groups who have made fortune during the course of the civil war. Abdi is one of those who managed to accumulate wealth at the early days of the civil war when the economic activities of the majority of Somalis were almost zilch. He is tall and nice-looking man.

Apart from his physical appearance, his natural gifts lie in business although he is poorly educated. And the pursuit of money to him is like as the pursuit of a cat and a mouse. He would have enrolled in a frequent flier program to save money if Daallo or Juba Airlines were to have offered such service as he travels to and from Somalia quite frequently. The political proliferation that has taken place in Somalia after the removal of Siad Barre led him to be a self-appointed politician. When you meet Abdi you cannot fail to notice the two sides of his character: self-assurance that came from business success and poor political greenhorn.

Abdi could not have been a greater contrast to his lifelong friend, Omar, who is short, overweight but highly educated. Omar studied Political Science and fled the country in 1995. He currently lives in Dubai, which is practically now the offshore commercial capital of Somalia. Omar is one of those who comment Somalia’s plight from a position of detached safety.

Both men get together whenever Abdi is in Dubai. In the evenings, they normally sit and spend a respectable time with other Somalis in front of a small restaurant near the Golden Market. They talk about practically everything from globalisation to the current crisis within the Transitional Federal Government. They appear to know almost everyone that comes to the market.

One evening, Abdi said, “Last night I watched a TV documentary about the prolonged Somali civil war. Given that you are a prominent Somali political expert, why are we killing each other when we are the most ethnically homogenous country in Africa”

When Abdi presented this question, even those who overheard the question stopped chatting. Omar surveyed his audience and realised that many eyes bored into him demanding an answer to the question.

Omar gave Abdi’s question considerable thought and said, “Scott Peterson wrote a disheartening book called Me Against My Brother: At War in Somalia, Sudan and Rwanda. The book's longest section focuses on Somalia as Peterson tries to explain the politics and history behind the civil war. Strangely, he leaves the most important question - why Somalis are killing each other - unanswered. If I have to name one factor as the cause of why Somalia is now a ravaged country I would say that we, Somalis, must have wittingly or unwittingly renounced patriotism and all its symbols.” And Omar started downing a cup of tea.

“Could you explain that more?” asked Abdi haughtily.

Omar realised that his audience were drinking his words. “True patriotism and nationalism make you not to be hostile to your brothers, not you and your brothers be hostile to your cousins, only Somalis to be hostile to others if need be. Colonel Muhammar Qaddafi once said: Nations whose nationalism is destroyed are subject to ruin.”

“You completely misunderstood what Somalia’s civil war is about.” Abdi interrupted with a contemptuous sneer. “In general, a source of conflict is about people fighting over identity (social issues) or resource control (economic issues). Those who engage in a battle over identity want to prove that one culture is superior to the opposing one or the land is actually belongs to one group and not the other or the likes. Those who go into a battle over resource control want to set up mechanisms to control the enterprise that they are fighting for. Once that enterprise, whether the enterprise is a country or a company, is secured, profits start playing a domineering role. More profit means more money. And money gives you power and makes the world go around, so the famous song says.”

While Abdi was lecturing Omar was busy analysing the inane thought of Abdi. “Have you understood the word ‘patriotic’ and where does this word fit into your simplified world?” enquired Omar.

“Stop slating,” demanded Abdi, “we don’t live in a perfect world. We live in a money-orientated world. Why do you think Somalis are fighting? Why every clan wants one of them to be the president? Why Mogadishu, Kismayu, Marka and the likes are hotspots? What are you and I doing in this barren region? Why are you still unmarried while most of your schoolmates are already on their second marriage? So please spare me the thoughts of nationalistic or patriotic concern.”

“I notice that I am not married ever night when I get home,” Omar said sarcastically. “Do we need to hold a monthly dinner to remind me what a fool I have been?”

“No, that is not what I had in mind.” Abdi said apologetically after realising what he had said caused discontent.

“Money poisoned your heart, but money does not have to be good or bad. It is simply medium of exchange. The problem is our perception and what we attach the money with. If you make your decisions based on money then you are allowing money to have such potent influence on your life and you are practically a slave of money. Every time you need to make a decision, you need to take into account your integrity and the human lives affected by your decision. No wonder you sell shoddy and low-grade products to Somalis. And remember it does not matter how much money you hoard when you are leaving this world, your family will ensure that you take not a single penny with you.” said Omar with relish. And the audience nodded.

Abdi grinned forcefully and buried his face in teacup.

“You are dead right to say that people fight over social and economic matters. But to suggest that Somalis are fighting because of lack of resources is a blinkered view. The Somali coastline is the 2nd longest in Africa and has some of the richest fishing grounds in the world. Furthermore, Somalia is reported to have sizeable petroleum and natural gas fields. Besides Somalia’s established livestock resources, there are good indications of untapped deposits of uranium, thorium, and iron ore, tin, gypsum, and bauxite, copper, salt and rare earth minerals. We are killing each other because we can’t see all Somalis are members of a big family. Why don’t we extend that to all Somalis. Only those who can do have patriotic elements in their veins.” Said Omar.

Ali listened to Omar’s lecture unperturbedly. Omar leant forward and patted Ali’s hand. “You said that we are the most ethnically homogenous country in Africa. If we are what we seem we are, we don’t have to kill each other we can share everything. We just need to be patriotic.” Said Omar seeming to take pleasure from winning the debate.

Abdi sat unresponsive for a moment. He quickly turned the debate over and over in his mind. The more he grappled the problem, the more he came to grips with it.

“Lucius Annaeus Seneca said around 50s A.D. ‘Consider, when you are enraged at any one, what you would probably think if he should die during the dispute.’ It is an imaginable how one would feel if he would do the killing.” Omar whispered sotto voce.

“You are right, we are one nation. But hold on! If we are one nation, why were we divided into 4.5 both Arta and Mbagathi reconciliation conferences?” asked Abdi coolly.

“Oh, no!” shouted Omar, “how slow-witted can you be! Somalis are not from a single clan. We are a nation made up of different clans but share a common religion, history and culture. Whether 4.5 is the best way to formulate a government or not will launch us into a whole new debate but we have to know a fratricidal war is not the answer to our illness.”

For a moment, there was a stunned silence. Abdi realised the importance of patriotism and that he is no match to Omar when it comes down to political debate. But to message his ego he decided to deliver one last punch.

“So you are saying Somalis must love each other?” asked Abdi.

“Precisely.” said Omar firmly. “It is getting late, let us go.”

“I know that you are not good looking guy, but if Somalis love each other, it means that there will be some Somali women who will love you and you can get married.” Mumbled Abdi.

“Whattttttttttttt!” yelled Omar. “Are you saying that I am a midget? You are dead now!”

Abdi started running towards his car seeking refuge and both men disappeared into a near car park.

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.