Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is it true that Somalis assume we are all Habesha?

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
Revolutionary
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Re: Is it true that Somalis assume we are all Habesha?

Postby Revolutionary » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:03 am

Id say its going to be difficult to seperate yourself from thr Habesha identity if youre a Tigrinya which constitute the majority of Eritreas population as even tho you guys had your own region for a long time, youre still culturally connected to the Tigryans and Amharas of Ethiopia even if you believe they arent linked to the Axumite empire (which they are if you consider than most still have partial Yemeni ancestry altho Eritrean Tigrenyas are a bit more mixed). Habesha is essentially a subethnicity which traces most Northrrn Highlander groups to the Dmt and Axum empire which precedes Abyssinia and Behr Negash. For much of your history, the Habeshas were one. Geez is the parent langauge of the habesha, not Tigrinya. Most of you practice Tawahedo Christianity before you converted to Islam, you all use the same script and, you all have similar cultural practices and clothings. Politics is the reason why semitic Eritreans dont like to be associated with Habesha. And if you say your people have different identity, thats fine, but from what Ive observed, theres not much cultural difference between Tigrayans and Tigrinyas. Its the reason your people started claiming them as Agame or fakes. Northern Amharas are genetically similar to Tigrayans who are similar to Tigrinyas. And Id say Gondar or Gojjam is the homeland of the Amhara, Wollo is too far south for it to be Amharas homeland, even the Oromos claim Wollo as Oromo territory. Amharas or the protoAmharas migrated southward because the once fertile Tigray region started becoming drier and it couldnt support a larger population. Climate change was actually a major reason why Axum collapsed.

I support Eritrea, but I dont support widespreak Tigrinya cognitive dissonce caused by decades of anti habesha propaganda promoted by regimes backed by italians colonialists who were intent on maintaining a divide between Eritrean and Ethiopian highlanders.
Hello, I think you've misunderstood the OP.

The Tigrinya people is not the majority in Eritrea as I have mentioned in the OP, they're minority but the current regime will hide it for an obvious reason. The term is used during the post-Italian era and the TPLF-EPLF era when they wanted to avoid confusions between Tigray and Tigrinya.

Today, it is not easy to explain as nowadays people rely source from them which is all fabrication whereas the other tribes will give you different answers. However, if you understand history of Ethiopia from the Muslims perspective then you are more likely to understand Eritrea.

I don't want to write another 5,000 words but if you read the The Saho of Eritrea: Ethnic Identity and National Consciousness which is available to read online on Google ebook and well worth a read. The Tigrinya people are famous for distorting the Eritrean history after influx of them came to the Eritrean highland during the latter emperors especially those of Tewodros, Yohannes and Ras Alula from Tigray province as an aim to grab power and of course, the coastal access which they succeeded in 1991 through the support of M.Zenawi. This strategic of affecting the demographics and affecting other cultural and social barriers was adopted during the days of Menelik II in Ethiopia which can be called Amharization of the 20th century causing the problems with identities.

The book cleared up the confusion, explained these clearly from history, ethnic, clans to clans and the sectarian motives that the Tigray people have committed during the 18-20th century and today. For instance, in your country, Ethiopia, who have more publicity portrayal today? The Amhara people despite being below the much larger Oromo population and their success of Amharization during the 20th century. Till this day, the TPLF are unable to de-Amharize the society in Ethiopia.

This is why we are unable to fix everything up as long they are in power and it will take time to de-Tigrinized Eritrea to clear everything up because they were not one of our mainstream tribe and were considered as people of Tigray from the Tigray province until the 19th century.

Im not very optimistic when it comes to Eritrea. Issias should have been assasinatwd by now and replaced by a unity government. And also im also very worried about this potential muslim lowlander vs predominatly christian highlander conflict once isias dies. As much as Eritreans in the diapsora want to paint a unified front, theres still a large cultural gap between lowlanders and highlanders and Eritrea has only been held together by a universal hatred of Ethiopia and Afewerkis i iron fist. Eritrea is too young for a national indentity to exist, not to mention most Eritrean ethnic groups besides Tigre/Tigrenya dont even interact with other ethnic groups. Its a bit like Ethiopia in that respects. Once Isias dies, Im expecting a civil war to ensue as The eritrean regime was always dependant on Afewerkis personality to maintain control and I dont think a puppet leader will ever replace Afewerki. I dont know how Ethiopia didnt go through a violent phase when meles died, he must of had some arrangements. Meles, as much as I hate him, is a very smart man in that respect
"Lowland and Highland" narrative is a propaganda used by the British military administration and the current regime.

Most of the Tigrinya scholars follow the footsteps of the colonial writers and administrators when they describe the social and cultural fabric of Eritrean society as being divided between the 'kebessa Christian highland' and the 'Muslim lowlands', thereby inappropriately simplifying the geographical location of the religious division. They ignore the fact that the highland is also populated by Muslims, namely the Saho, the Jabarti, and some Tigre groups living in Kebessa.
There is no such thing called "predominately" Christian highland in Eritrea. It's all fabrication.

Itrah
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Itrah » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:20 am

I read that many Beja speak Sudanese Arabic only. Kinda sad that this language is taking off in this region in favor of native languages.

PS. The Kunama and Nara are Nilo-Saharan, they have no Bantu ties at all.
What is wrong with them learning Arabic? May be they are very religious and want to learn their deen and be closer to their Sudanese brethren. It is also possible that they are learning Sudanese Arabic because they want to maintain dual nationalities, and maintaining a Sudanese Arabic guarantees them obtaining Sudanese residency or citizenship.
They were not very religious. None of his sisters wore headscarves and they were 'liberal' overall.
I assume it has something to do with his family having lived in Sudan before they immigrated but still being ethnically Bilen from Eritrea.

Revolutionary
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby Revolutionary » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:28 am

I had a Bilen Eritrean classmate in high school.

Weird thing is that his family only spoke Arabic at home, the Sudanese dialect. They didn't speak their own ethnic language. I never bothered to ask why.
Yes, it is common for Eritreans to speak Arabic. It used to be well known until the 90s when the Muslim powers collapsed. Whereas, it is not commonly spoken by the ethnic-Tigrinya which is why they shifted the portrayal.

The Eritreans in the lowland (coast) have spoken Arabic for a long time due the Arab influence in the lowland from the Umayyad, Ottomans to the Egyptians until the 19th century because of the geopolitical importance in the coast. Here is a short point summary about it, the refutation-obsessed tribal regime consider it as a foreign language for sectarian purpose.

http://awate.com/arabic-in-eritrea-its- ... ality-iii/

Arabic spoken is more commonly heard/known in the Lowland than in the Highland Eritrea where spoken languages are often mixed in different areas but today, the language grew after the war where they've learnt it through ears due to displacements so they move around North-East Africa, Middle East and the lowland. Tribal languages is still spoken by grandparents till this day but I'm not sure if it's gonna hold in the next few generation because pretty much the new generation don't speak it.

Some may not like it but there are benefits because we have several languages so it makes it harder to communicate with one tribe and another. So, it can be said that Arabic is the reason why we don't have issues with communication barriers.

Revolutionary
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby Revolutionary » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:48 am

I can't seen to edit my other post as I forgot to mention. Hararboy, you seem to forgot that Axumite was a multi-ethnic empire, and the capital were Aksum which was originally from Tigray province.

The population never spread until the latter Abyssinia emperors. While, it is true that the Muslim Tigre (not Tigray) changed the language to Arabic to distance themselves from the Ge'ez but also, they're a different ethnic. They make up to different sub groups who are not related to the people of Tigray including the clan of my tribe who assimilated into their group when the regions were affected during the conflicts with Abyssinia as I have mentioned, they've played a major role of affecting other groups for sectarian purpose.

Peace.
Last edited by Revolutionary on Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

inaXasan
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby inaXasan » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:10 am

A non Somali posts on Somalinet and is not immediately swallowed by a billion racist, childish and hateful comments?

this place is changing :clap:

Anyways, people need to learn the difference between Ethiopian and Habesha. Ethiopia is a greek word that means the "the land of blacks" and it was used to describe the whole continent.
We are all Ethiopian technically because we are from Africa.

I don't know fully what Habesha means though.

comeAndGo

Postby comeAndGo » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:20 am

Es Salam Alaykum.

Is it common for Somalis to portray Ethiopia and Eritrea as a Habesha nation? I have been lurking this forum for a while now, and it seems every time there is a thread about Ethiopia or Eritrea, Habesha is mentioned but outside, I never never experience hearing it.

I will make it clear for you. The term doesn't exist nor used anymore after Abyssinia died out. It is also a very offensive term where Eritreans will disrespect you if you mention it directly. For two reasons why calling Habesha is wrong:

1) Habesha only refer to the people of Amhara, Tigray and the Gurage. They're minority and only inhabit in the Northern Highland. However, they have more power - the government, economical and military sector is owned by them (mainly Tigray) for several decades which is why you often hear deceitful sources from them and common portrayal like Amharic, Tigrinya or Tigray etc and not the others who are not commonly known.

2) It is a term associate with Christianity so it is an insult for the Muslims. 85% of the Eritreans are Muslims and all tribes other than the Tigray are Muslim dominated but the country is ruled by the minority Tigrays. In Tigray led-Ethiopia, despite its portrayal of Christian nation, 65% of the people are Muslims, mostly Cushitic. They often hate being labelled as Habesha. About 20% of the so-called Habesha are Muslims as well.

So, please do not lump us as one people or link us with Habesha.

Hope that's clear!
You lying. eritreans are 50% muslims and 50% christians. the lowlanders doesnt not have the numbers against the highlanders. eritrea is almost 50% kebessas, and kebessa's are 90% xians with 10% jeberti muslims.

The term habesha, i have never heard it inside tigray. mostly diaspora ethiopians/eritreans use that term to differentiate themselves from black africans. if you a little bit lighter complexion and you have eastern african features, you will be asked if your habesha or not. But the confusion lies when people when you muslims assum habesha is only christians. there are a lot muslims abbysinians in tigray and amhara regions, there are a lot muslims, for example in the towns of tigray in mekelle, shire, adigray and wukro and raya azebo.

comeAndGo

Postby comeAndGo » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:22 am

Wlc on board sxb. I didn't know 85% of Eritreans were Muslim, that's really good.

Whats the clan/ethnic breakdown in Eritrea?
he is lying, they are probablly 50/50, may be muslims a little more than xians right now due to the highlanders immigration out of eritrea.

Revolutionary
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby Revolutionary » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:28 am

he is lying, they are probablly 50/50, may be muslims a little more than xians right now due to the highlanders immigration out of eritrea.
The only Christians dominated are the people from Tigrinya tribe. The "50/50" is a propaganda used by the regime for political reason. Even, all the tribes (except them) knows this very well as I have mentioned in my other post, you will receive different response from them.

comeAndGo

Postby comeAndGo » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:39 am

The only Christians dominated are the people from Tigrinya tribe. The "50/50" is a propaganda used by the regime for political reason. Even, all the tribes (except them) knows this very well as I have mentioned in my other post, you will receive different response from them.
come on brother. You focking liar, i hate lying, let me break it down for you.
arent these the biggest towns in eritrea,
asmera(hammasien), mendefera(seraye), keren(senhit, anseba(hamassien), dekemhare(akele), adi keyh(akele), senafe(akele). arent this towns 80% kebessa xians exept keren.
arent kebessa densly populated but lowlanders are scarcely populated, there is even tigre orthodox xians like mensa'as, bilen is 50,50. so you left with tigre, tigre is 35% of the total populations. the other ethinicities like the saho, afars, and the bejas doens even account 10% of the population combined.

come on man, eritrea belongs to the kebessa wether you like or not. they got the numbers and the economy.

comeAndGo

Postby comeAndGo » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:13 pm

Some Habeshas tell me the term Habesha was coined by Arabs and it means slave and that's why they despise the term.

Aren't Bilen a sub-group of the Agew.

I thought Saho and Bilen were related?

They have the same culture.
You are right, Bilen are agews, Saho are cushitic people closely related to afars and agews. The muslim bilen are nomad muslims and are intermarried to the tigre/tigrait speaking tribes, and the christians agews are city people and are intermarried with the anseba hamassiens.

the same with the saho, the saho are the only ethnic group besides the tigrigna that live in the highlands, they live in eastern akele guzay. they are predominatly muslims, there are also saho christinas, they live in southern akele guzay(eritrea) and agame(tigray).

Revolutionary
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby Revolutionary » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:35 pm

come on brother. You focking liar, i hate lying, let me break it down for you.
arent these the biggest towns in eritrea,
asmera(hammasien), mendefera(seraye), keren(senhit, anseba(hamassien), dekemhare(akele), adi keyh(akele), senafe(akele). arent this towns 80% kebessa xians exept keren.
arent kebessa densly populated but lowlanders are scarcely populated, there is even tigre orthodox xians like mensa'as, bilen is 50,50. so you left with tigre, tigre is 35% of the total populations. the other ethinicities like the saho, afars, and the bejas doens even account 10% of the population combined.

come on man, eritrea belongs to the kebessa wether you like or not. they got the numbers and the economy.
That's what the regime says. The Lowland is almost entirely Muslims while the Highland is mixed, thanks to the emperors who motived the Tigray inhabitants in Eritrea to screw up the Highland big time and of course, the most important part is who can forget that it was the Tigrinyas who formed a group known as Unionist Party to rebel the Muslim League and supported federating Eritrea into Ethiopia?

These names you mentioned are not 'only' inhabited by the Tigrinya (Tigrayan) people but because of the sectarian motives the tribal government have, they will never release the proper census.

You're correct about the 'economic' and 'power' today that they've seized it through brute in the 90s. Before that? No.
the same with the saho, the saho are the only ethnic group besides the tigrigna that live in the highland.
As mentioned before, they're not alone. The Jeberti people are classified in the Tigrinya category by the regime so you don't hear them. They live in the Highland as well as some Tigre groups living in Kebessa.

You're thinking of the Irob people that came to Eritrean Highland when Ahmed Gragn invaded the Tigray region. That's how they've learnt the language but they're originally Tigrayans, not Saho.

7anseba

Postby 7anseba » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:44 pm

Revolutionary let me ask you if you have even been to the so called lowlands?? Why are you so obsessed with disrespecting tigrinya people? You say you are Saho and chances are big that you have some form of tigrinya relative in your family tree. There are Saho Christians among Min'ifre and you also had a lot of intermarriage between the tsenadegle (tingrinya) and tora'a (saho) in past times. Half the Tigre clans trace their roots to Kebessa such as Ad Bidel, Bet Asghede, Ad Tekle etc. even among the Beja you have the Hallenga who trace their roots to Hamassien. You have Bilen tribes who have Kunama ancestry, you have Kunama tribes who have Tigre ancestry and I could go on and on. You see everything is mixed... its only in modern times people want to make a big deal of ethnicity and religion as if it is a static condition. Therefore don't let hate and divisiveness consume you.

7anseba

Postby 7anseba » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:47 pm

I am one of the so called Habesha and it is a term we use loosely to identify language and culture...its not a religious term. Its not really a bid deal...I am surprised to see what some people are writing here.

EriMes

Postby EriMes » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:36 pm

This is why I hate some of these Tigrinya Christians wallahi! They are fed garbage and propaganda from the beginning! First of all what ERITREAN SAHOS married into the Christian Tigrinyas?! Are you crazy, we are ALL MUSLIMS, do NOT confuse us with the agame bastards from Tigray Ethiopia called the Erob who stole our language like typical Ethiopian Habeshas!
TIGRE MUSLIMS are the biggest ethnic group in Eritrea regardless of what the regime Afwerki government tell you. I am not even a Tigre and I know this. The muslims in Eritrea dominate probably 70-80% of the whole nation, the only Christians in Eritrea are Tigrinya, most of Bilen even though they're tiny themselves and a tiny portion of Kunama.
The muslims are Tigre, Afar, Saho, Jeberti and all these groups heavily over dominate the Christian Eritreans. There is no issue between any groups in Eritrea, tribe or religion, but it is a FACT that the government and Christians are worried of a unified Islamic ethnical party in Eritrea, hence why they're displacing many muslims from all groups. Why do you think in the past the national language was Arabic? Because the muslims were the total population so we used to communicate with other muslim ethnic groups in Arabic, but today because of propaganda the national language is Tigrinya. Similar with Ethiopia like Revolution commented - the biggest population is Oromo yet the national language is what? Amharic.
Do not let these Tigrinyas fool you with rubbish, we respect you but don't come and spread propaganda when the whole of Eritrea knows this. You have our kindness mistaken for weakness. Peace!

Gabre
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Gabre » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:39 pm

lol 100% there will be religious war in Eritrea after Afwerki dies

wallahi you can bet big money on this

I need to visit Asmera before it turns to another Damascus or Aden

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.