Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is it true that Somalis assume we are all Habesha?

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
Revolutionary
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Is it true that Somalis assume we are all Habesha?

Postby Revolutionary » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:52 am

Es Salam Alaykum.

Is it common for Somalis to portray Ethiopia and Eritrea as a Habesha nation? I have been lurking this forum for a while now, and it seems every time there is a thread about Ethiopia or Eritrea, Habesha is mentioned but outside, I never never experience hearing it.

I will make it clear for you. The term doesn't exist nor used anymore after Abyssinia died out. It is also a very offensive term where Eritreans will disrespect you if you mention it directly. For two reasons why calling Habesha is wrong:

1) Habesha only refer to the people of Amhara, Tigray and the Gurage. They're minority and only inhabit in the Northern Highland. However, they have more power - the government, economical and military sector is owned by them (mainly Tigray) for several decades which is why you often hear deceitful sources from them and common portrayal like Amharic, Tigrinya or Tigray etc and not the others who are not commonly known.

2) It is a term associate with Christianity so it is an insult for the Muslims. 85% of the Eritreans are Muslims and all tribes other than the Tigray are Muslim dominated but the country is ruled by the minority Tigrays. In Tigray led-Ethiopia, despite its portrayal of Christian nation, 65% of the people are Muslims, mostly Cushitic. They often hate being labelled as Habesha. About 20% of the so-called Habesha are Muslims as well.

So, please do not lump us as one people or link us with Habesha.

Hope that's clear!

SahanGalbeed
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Re: Is it true that Somalis assume we are all Habesha?

Postby SahanGalbeed » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:11 am

Okay , salam aleikum , what eritrean tribal background do you belong to ?

we call ethiopian Habash , because the amhara are habash and the language of Ethiopia is amharic , not meant to insult anyone , we didn't make their history

Itrah
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Itrah » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:26 am

Eritreans are so butthurt when you associate them with their ethnic brothers and sisters in Ethiopia.

Dude you are Habesha, get over yourself. There is very little difference between Eritreans and Tigrays-Amharas in Ethiopia.

cheifaqilbari
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby cheifaqilbari » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:34 am

Aliku wa sallam. Welcome and good on you for explaining the difference.

Revolutionary
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby Revolutionary » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:39 am

Okay , salam aleikum , what eritrean tribal background do you belong to ?
Aleykum salam, I am from Saho.

SahanGalbeed
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby SahanGalbeed » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:44 am

Welcome my afro asiatic brother

Itrah
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Itrah » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:47 am

If you are Saho, then you are not Habesha.

But mainstream Eritreans (Tigre-Tigrinya) who make up 90% of the country are no different from Amharas and Tigrays in Ethiopia.

gegiroor
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby gegiroor » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:13 am

Es Salam Alaykum.

Is it common for Somalis to portray Ethiopia and Eritrea as a Habesha nation? I have been lurking this forum for a while now, and it seems every time there is a thread about Ethiopia or Eritrea, Habesha is mentioned but outside, I never never experience hearing it.

I will make it clear for you. The term doesn't exist nor used anymore after Abyssinia died out. It is also a very offensive term where Eritreans will disrespect you if you mention it directly. For two reasons why calling Habesha is wrong:

1) Habesha only refer to the people of Amhara, Tigray and the Gurage. They're minority and only inhabit in the Northern Highland. However, they have more power - the government, economical and military sector is owned by them (mainly Tigray) for several decades which is why you often hear deceitful sources from them and common portrayal like Amharic, Tigrinya or Tigray etc and not the others who are not commonly known.

2) It is a term associate with Christianity so it is an insult for the Muslims. 85% of the Eritreans are Muslims and all tribes other than the Tigray are Muslim dominated but the country is ruled by the minority Tigrays. In Tigray led-Ethiopia, despite its portrayal of Christian nation, 65% of the people are Muslims, mostly Cushitic. They often hate being labelled as Habesha. About 20% of the so-called Habesha are Muslims as well.

Hope that's clear!
Great post! :up:

Gabre
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Gabre » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:51 am

Es Salam Alaykum.

Hope that's clear!
Somalis (especially from Somalia) generally have no clue about Ethiopians. The President of Somali State of Ethiopia gave a brief but funny breakdown of this problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXWdClHPe0M

jalaaludin5
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: “Beauties in vain their pretty eyes may roll; Charms strike the sight, but merit wins the soul.”

Postby jalaaludin5 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:22 pm

Last edited by jalaaludin5 on Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GAMES
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby GAMES » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:23 pm

Wlc on board sxb. I didn't know 85% of Eritreans were Muslim, that's really good.

Whats the clan/ethnic breakdown in Eritrea?

AwRastaale
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby AwRastaale » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:52 pm

W/S Eritrean brother,

You are not entirely being open or honest. It depends what kind of "Eritrean" you are. If you are Afar, Saho, Rashaida, Nara then you're no Habesha but if you are Tigre, Bilen, Bin Amer, Jeberti or Kebessa then it's different story.

Tigre - hybrid between Beja and Tigrais of Ethiopia
Bilen - hybrid Kebessa and Tigre (who were already 50%)
Jeberti - almost Kebessa
Bin Amer is a tricky one but I know they are same as Bilen.

So who are you first?

Habesha was a derogatory name in Somali. Habeshi was looked down and that's why they do not use in person or in front of you. It was and still has that stigma as 'ngga'.

RoobleAlWaliid
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby RoobleAlWaliid » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:05 pm

Some Habeshas tell me the term Habesha was coined by Arabs and it means slave and that's why they despise the term.

Aren't Bilen a sub-group of the Agew.

I thought Saho and Bilen were related?

They have the same culture.

SahanGalbeed
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby SahanGalbeed » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:28 pm

Xabash waxa la yidha historically Christian Amhara kingdom of Axum who with the Romans and certain arab tribes were waging war in present day Yemen.{around the years 500 of the christian calendar} Nowadays Habashi is all Ethiopians or all who speak amhara , and to the finally retard arabs the likes of Dacash {ISIS}that includes me :lol:....if I could only catch one of those .

AwRastaale
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby AwRastaale » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:58 pm

Rooble,

No Saho and Bilen are not related. Bilen have more things in common with the Kebessa of Hamasien, Akele Guzai and Serae and those in mainland Tigray.

Sahan,

No Amhara was born or coined in post-Axum era during the Zagwe rule by Solomonic-ruler Yekuno Amlak.

Those that were waging war with Yemen were the northern Habesha including the Eritreans (Kebessa, Bilen), some Agews, some Beja and the Tigrais. We know that they launched their wars from the Eritrean coast and we also know they had Tigringya names including Abraha.

The Amhara identity emerged in the 12th century when Habesha fleeing south to Wag, Lasta and parts of Begemder set up the Solomonic dynasty and made Amharic the language of the courts.

Before Yekuno we know Axum's official languages were the Geez and the Agew.

Amhara establishment antedates Axum and re-launched the Solomonic dynasty with Yekuno Amlak in the mid-12th century. The Amhara did not rule continuously of course and the Agews often re-gained the power for instance even though the Fasilides or Fasil dynasty embraced Solomonic----it was all Agew.

Amhara was more of a central empire taking its seeds from Wollo (Bete-Amhara) before it spread more south and west. It never encroached north past Enderta even to this day.

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.