Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How Long will the English Language be Useful??

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
gegiroor
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

How Long will the English Language be Useful??

Postby gegiroor » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:43 pm

With the rise of new powers, such as China, India, and others, how long do you think the English language will be useful? I asked that because every empire that came along has always promoted its language and culture. And In our present generation, we have to use this language, but it doesn't seem to be having its present clout if the west's dominance is gradually slipping away. What do you think fellas?

gurey25
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Re: How Long will the English Language be Useful??

Postby gurey25 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:57 pm

It will remain usefull out of inertia, for a long time.
French is still the langauge of diplomacy but is almost overtaken by English today.
French was the language of diplomacy for 400 years.
German was the language of science from the 1880's till the 1960's
IF wanted t get ahead in electrical, chemical and physics you had to learn german, even if you were japanese or american.

The sign of things to come is that China this year no longer considers English mandatory in High School,
its an elective now, and they are making Russian Mandatory, becuase of the huge number of chinese in Russian Universities and vice versa.

GalliumerianSlayer
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby GalliumerianSlayer » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:58 am

Learn Mandarin, I can already converse in it :blessed:

sav12600
SomaliNetizen
SomaliNetizen

Postby sav12600 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:44 am

50 years ago, ppl would say English will be dominating for the next millennium, but today it's lucky if it will stay dominant for the next 50 years,

Americas is bieng taken over by Spanish heck even states in the us are now Spanish majority.

After brexit Europe will be dominated by French

Asia will be taken over by mandarin

And Africans will slowly return to thier native tongues along with the Indians and those other small countries

I gues the main reason for this is all about economics and the British language was only dominant when Britain was an empire that ruled the world but today it isn't

New age that's my take, there's a great chance I might be wrong

GalliumerianSlayer
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby GalliumerianSlayer » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:48 am

More and more African natives/diaspora are speaking Mandarin (makes sense when China has plans for the continent).
Then again I can already speak 4 1/2 languages and I don't plan on learning any more.

gegiroor
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby gegiroor » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:15 pm

It will remain usefull out of inertia, for a long time.
French is still the langauge of diplomacy but is almost overtaken by English today.
French was the language of diplomacy for 400 years.
German was the language of science from the 1880's till the 1960's
IF wanted t get ahead in electrical, chemical and physics you had to learn german, even if you were japanese or american.

The sign of things to come is that China this year no longer considers English mandatory in High School,
its an elective now, and they are making Russian Mandatory, because of the huge number of Chinese in Russian Universities and vice versa.
That is what I observed too. Other languages are employed in commerce nowadays, including Mandarin, Spanish, and Russian as well. China is also encouraging its universities to be opened to Africans and students of other nationalities. They are actually employing locals who speak Mandarin and local languages as interpreters in nearly all of their investments in Africa. When they were building that airport in Bosaso, there was a Somali guy who was translating between Mandarin and Somali. When they opened that shoe factory in Ethiopia, they have Ethiopians who were translating between Mandarin and Amharic. It seems they no longer have the need to employ people who can speak English. The trend to move away from English has already started.

gegiroor
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby gegiroor » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:21 pm

If you can take advantage that language skill by opening a brokerage firm in China and represent businesses in Africa. You can charge other businesses while buying goods for your own business as well. There are many ways that you can use that language skill and turn it into a success. 8-)

Basra-
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Basra- » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:45 am

With the rise of new powers, such as China, India, and others, how long do you think the English language will be useful? I asked that because every empire that came along has always promoted its language and culture. And In our present generation, we have to use this language, but it doesn't seem to be having its present clout if the west's dominance is gradually slipping away. What do you think fellas?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

gegigor aka gurey

I agree with u. Yes, the end of the language of the Queen is unfortunately coming to an end. We are in the cusp of a dying empire that will be remembered in history as the language of the oppressive empire. Chinese and Indian languages are the vogue of the future.

Notttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt!!! :clap:

I just wanted to indulge your madness! LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

# 1 USA is not an empire in the historical form. IT is an empire of GOOD. They seek without personal gain. the old empire used to devide, conquer and rule. United states only seeks to spread democracy in the land of barbarism. Now we may argue this is not feasible as some countries like the Muslim countries, Somalia included do not fair well in the western democracy. They fair well in regiment dictatorship. They are people who r inbred to use fear than logic or civilization. They are bred to fear God, and therefore must expect their leader to be fearful. America---is all about individual freedom, vice and good! :stylin:

geg aka gurey---keep on dreaming. China and India have exact problems that God endowed them, which will deter them from being powerful in the world stage. No democracy and over population! Face it--United states is sexy and here to state for ever!

gegiroor
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby gegiroor » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:56 am

Basra, how come you missed your favorite word? With all of the hoopla that you wrote there, your highness has missed the most important word that you used to be obsessed with. But then again we realized, with the passing of time, you can't have it anymore, so all that is left in you is to just talk about it. You know Basra as they say in Somali "Waayo, waayo". :D

Now back to the topic, the west has been dominant and still dominant today, but as we noticed in Syria when Putin put his foot in the door, or with the rise of China, their dominance in economic and military doesn't seem to be what it used to be. Hold your seat tight and hopefully you and I can have this discussion in another decade, insha'Allah. :up:

GalliumerianSlayer
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby GalliumerianSlayer » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:46 am

If you can take advantage that language skill by opening a brokerage firm in China and represent businesses in Africa. You can charge other businesses while buying goods for your own business as well. There are many ways that you can use that language skill and turn it into a success. 8-)
There are many Somalis in China (students and workers), other parts of South East Asia =. :stylin: :stylin:

gurey25
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby gurey25 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:31 pm

Amerika Stronk!!!!!!!
mah Freedum !!!!

seriously basra , i would not put much hope in your 401k,
you are highly likely to end up in poverty just before you retire..

fighting reality will get you fucked..

I suggest you kiss and make up with reality.

she is a bit of a bitch , but shes not too bad..

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.