Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is this a fair representation of today's Somali Family?

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
CigaalSHiiDaaDCFC
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Is this a fair representation of today's Somali Family?

Postby CigaalSHiiDaaDCFC » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:16 pm

Not quite but close! There's no denying that our women pull more weight than us when it comes to raising kids. now, its debatable as to why thats the case and its not always farax's fault. but still we gotta do better :meles:

MujahidAishah

Re: Is this a fair representation of today's Somali Family?

Postby MujahidAishah » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:35 am

somali hooyos no words can describe them :up:

New generation of somali hooyos are something else leaving grandmothers to raise kids while they still are partying :snoop:

We all have to do better

Prlnce
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby Prlnce » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:16 am

New generation of somali hooyos are something else leaving grandmothers to raise kids while they still are partying :snoop:

We all have to do better
Is that what you do leave the kids with hooyo and go partying?

PanSomaliNationalist
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby PanSomaliNationalist » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:22 am

Nope my wife takes care of the house and I pay for the house don't see how its unfair

but then again I didn't have children yet soo :Shrug:

Adali
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super
Location: Throw me to the hyenas and I will return laughing as the pack leader.

Postby Adali » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:54 am

Not quite but close! There's no denying that our women pull more weight than us when it comes to raising kids. now, its debatable as to why thats the case and its not always farax's fault. but still we gotta do better :meles:
The sad thing is that hooyo will also raise the children of her daughters who will have a bunch of different fathers. :broken:

MujahidAishah

Postby MujahidAishah » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:26 pm

We all have to do better
Is that what you do leave the kids with hooyo and go partying?

Boy I would of been dead ages ago :comeon:

Strong mothers raise strong daughters :up:

Hooyo mcn :heart:

thehappyone
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby thehappyone » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:47 pm

it's 2am and aisha is still active, she is out partying right now

Basra-
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Basra- » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:51 pm

We all have to do better
That's why u r GAY :roll:

Basra-
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Basra- » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:58 am

:lol: :lol:

TheMightyNomad
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby TheMightyNomad » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:10 am

First of all that drawing isn't about Somalis. It is a drawing about African American families. So no it's not a fair representation of the traditional Somali family.

Secondly I would disagree with you. Because what you say assumes that both men and women are assigned the same roles in the family structure as far as raising kids.

Traditionally Somali mothers support their kids by cooking and cleaning for them, whereas Somali fathers act as bread winners providing food,shelter, money and security. Two separate roles.

This is how it is for thousands of Somali families, this is how it was in the rural Somali and before the civil war.

Now the dilemma here as i see is that Somali culture is a lot less nuclear family oriented but more so community oriented in its nature. Where the wider Somali community typically the clan or the reer plays a bigger role in the upbringing of the children. You know the saying'' It takes a village to raise a child'', this is quite literal when it comes to Somalis.

Now this context does not translate well in the urban western diaspora as you can imagine for a hoist of reasons. So the problems in the Somali community isn't exactly gendered at all, it is more or less due to our poor cultural adaptation to modernity. Where we have to a large degree failed at transitioning from nomadic/agrarian culture to an urban sedentary culture.

This is why there are soo many modern trends and dilemmas that plague in all aspects of our day to day life.

CigaalSHiiDaaDCFC
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby CigaalSHiiDaaDCFC » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:52 am

Frist, i didnt say it was abt somalis but asked if it was an accurate portrait of today's somali familiy specially those in the west. I know how somali family live in africa or back in the day. However, this drawing is an almost accurate portrait of somali families. Whatever the reason is.

TheMightyNomad
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby TheMightyNomad » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:06 pm

Frist, i didnt say it was abt somalis but asked if it was an accurate portrait of today's somali familiy specially those in the west. I know how somali family live in africa or back in the day. However, this drawing is an almost accurate portrait of somali families. Whatever the reason is.
You must be from the UK i would assume. Even then i would still have to disagree with you, because then that would be an overly generalized view if you believe that is an accurate potrail of Somali families in the west.
Somalis are largely refuges in the west who don't come with skilled backgrounds .where most are unskilled and illiterate. Somalis are not self selected or recruited into the labor forces like other ethnic minorities. What this creates is an unequal employment balance within households due to the difficulty in accessing the job market due to being under skilled and lack of social networks to navigate.
This is why you have some families in Europe where the father is the bread winners, while some households have the mother as the breadwinner, Some households where the son or nephew is the breadwinner, where as in some households you have the daughter as the breadwinner. Many cases you have 1 persons income spread out to cover a 100 people.

Secondly this also the reason why single parent households in UK in particular is so high as a result of which due to the social economic difficulties Somalis face and the impact of the welfare state.

On the flipside this also gives the contrast as to why in America most Somali families are intact ,80% two parent households according to statistics. Most able bodied Somali man are employed and lead their households at 90%. Contrary to what happens in Europe and Canada because in America it easier to get blue collar low skilled jobs despite having no language proficiencies , also because Somalis have access to social networks into the trucking business and home care etc. Most families are also not on welfare, if they are they get off it quickily because the welfare in America is not sustainable.

So if ''Some'' Somali families in Europe and Canada is similar to that picture it isn't due to it being an accurate portrail or representation. It purely a result of circumstance which many Somalis need to fully comprehend. It is not a gendered issue.

Lastly the reason why i brought up the dilemma of Somali culture , that its too communal oriented and less so familiy oriented. In so far as how it fails to translate in the west. I can go deeper into explaining this if you want.

CigaalSHiiDaaDCFC
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby CigaalSHiiDaaDCFC » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:04 pm

You must be from the UK i would assume. Even then i would still have to disagree with you, because then that would be an overly generalized view if you believe that is an accurate potrail of Somali families in the west.
Somalis are largely refuges in the west who don't come with skilled backgrounds .where most are unskilled and illiterate. Somalis are not self selected or recruited into the labor forces like other ethnic minorities. What this creates is an unequal employment balance within households due to the difficulty in accessing the job market due to being under skilled and lack of social networks to navigate.
This is why you have some families in Europe where the father is the bread winners, while some households have the mother as the breadwinner, Some households where the son or nephew is the breadwinner, where as in some households you have the daughter as the breadwinner. Many cases you have 1 persons income spread out to cover a 100 people.

Secondly this also the reason why single parent households in UK in particular is so high as a result of which due to the social economic difficulties Somalis face and the impact of the welfare state.

On the flipside this also gives the contrast as to why in America most Somali families are intact ,80% two parent households according to statistics. Most able bodied Somali man are employed and lead their households at 90%. Contrary to what happens in Europe and Canada because in America it easier to get blue collar low skilled jobs despite having no language proficiencies , also because Somalis have access to social networks into the trucking business and home care etc. Most families are also not on welfare, if they are they get off it quickily because the welfare in America is not sustainable.

So if ''Some'' Somali families in Europe and Canada is similar to that picture it isn't due to it being an accurate portrail or representation. It purely a result of circumstance which many Somalis need to fully comprehend. It is not a gendered issue.

Lastly the reason why i brought up the dilemma of Somali culture , that its too communal oriented and less so familiy oriented. In so far as how it fails to translate in the west. I can go deeper into explaining this if you want.

Remember i said "not quite but close" that means not all somali families are like that. also, being the breadwinner doesnt excuse you from raising your kids physically and helping your wife with the house chores. raising kids is a 24 hours job adeer. i can tell you havnt have ur own yet but its a never ending job.

ps, ha i habaarin, i amnt from that hellhole :down:

TheMightyNomad
SomaliNet Heavyweight
SomaliNet Heavyweight

Postby TheMightyNomad » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:33 pm

Remember i said "not quite but close" that means not all somali families are like that. also, being the breadwinner doesnt excuse you from raising your kids physically and helping your wife with the house chores. raising kids is a 24 hours job adeer. i can tell you havnt have ur own yet but its a never ending job.

ps, ha i habaarin, i amnt from that hellhole :down:
Like i said in the first post.Traditionally Somali mothers support their kids by cooking and cleaning for them, whereas Somali fathers act as bread winners providing food,shelter, money and security. Two separate roles, both are equal. This is the case in all traditionalist societies from Arab,East Asian, indian and African etc.

As far as raising the kids. I believe neither the Somali mother nor the father raises the child. Putting a roof over someones head,clothing and food in their mouth is not raising a child. In Somali society what assumes the role of raising the child is often times is the community.

This is the dilemma i was talking about. Hooyo or the Aabo do not raise the kids, but rather the reer ,tuulo or the qolo is what is raising the kids. Literally the village raises the child.

This however might work in the context and setting of Somalia, this does not however translate well in the west. Where this just does not apply.
This is also why i find it funny when people talk about absente fathers in the cofee shop or they spend all their time at work. Because Somali society is less so family oriented and more so community oriented. This also the reason why divorces are just as common remarriages. But if you put that into the western context it translates horribly.

The point i am trying to make is that it is not a gendered issue. It is fact that we are poor in culturally adapting to modernity. By and large due to the fact that Somalis are refugees and not equipped economic migrants. As refugees we don't come with the incentive,mentality to adapt instead we come to survive, contrary to an economic migrant.
Last edited by TheMightyNomad on Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CigaalSHiiDaaDCFC
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby CigaalSHiiDaaDCFC » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:53 pm

As far as raising the kids. I believe neither the Somali mother nor the father raises the child. Putting a roof over someones head,clothing and food in their mouth is not raising a child. In Somali society what assumes the role of raising the child is often times is the community.
lol wut? :? bal elaborate ..

This however might work in the context and setting of Somalia, this does not however translate well in the west.
exactly, there are no maids, jobless relatives here who willing to help all the time. marka that "two separate roles" doesnt work here.

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.