Welcome to SomaliNet Forums, a friendly and gigantic Somali centric active community. Login to hide this block

You are currently viewing this page as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, ask questions, educate others, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many, many other features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join SomaliNet forums today! Please note that registered members with over 50 posts see no ads whatsoever! Are you new to SomaliNet? These forums with millions of posts are just one section of a much larger site. Just visit the front page and use the top links to explore deep into SomaliNet oasis, Somali singles, Somali business directory, Somali job bank and much more. Click here to login. If you need to reset your password, click here. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sunday School Teacher Fired For Being Female !!!!!!

Daily chitchat.

Moderators: Moderators, Junior Moderators

Forum rules
This General Forum is for general discussions from daily chitchat to more serious discussions among Somalinet Forums members. Please do not use it as your Personal Message center (PM). If you want to contact a particular person or a group of people, please use the PM feature. If you want to contact the moderators, pls PM them. If you insist leaving a public message for the mods or other members, it will be deleted.
OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE
Daanyeer
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Sunday School Teacher Fired For Being Female !!!!!!

Postby Daanyeer » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:38 pm

Source: news10now.com
August 18, 2006 Author: By: Amy Ohler

Since 1946, Mary Lambert has been a member of the First Baptist Church in Watertown, and for the past 11 years, she's been the Sunday school teacher.

But, last Thursday Lambert received a letter from the Diaconate Board telling her that she was dismissed from her position because the board had adopted the scriptural qualifications for Sunday school teachers. In short, this prohibits women from teaching men.

"I was astonished, absolutely astonished to pick up and read that kind of a letter without being talked to ahead of time about the possibility," said Mary Lambert.

The letter Lambert received says, "A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent. For Adam was formed first, then Eve. And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became sinner."

The letter was signed, "Thank you for your anticipated cooperation. Very truly yours, Kendra LaBouf." Kendra is the wife of City Council Member and Pastor Tim LaBouf.

"I've had a number of calls from people within the church being as astonished at the letter as I was, and the community at large seems to be at various sides that this could happen," said Lambert.

"And she is a woman, and when we women fought for equal rights for a long time, since 1929 hasn't it been? And anytime a pastor, or somebody who's led by god, they should know Christ in their heart," said Watertown resident Linda Norquest.

News 10 Now did put in calls to both Tim LaBouf and the church for comment, but those calls were not returned. As for Lambert, she said although she's upset, she's not giving up on her church.

Lambert said she feels there's more to her dismissal than the scriptual qualifications. Last month, Lambert and two others were kicked off the Diaconate Board. They were told they were being removed for attendance issues.

Lambert said things started to slowly change at the church two years ago when LaBouf became the pastor.

Steeler [Crawler2]
SomaliNet Super
SomaliNet Super

Postby Steeler [Crawler2] » Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:35 am

Holy COW! I know Mary Lambert. This is the Church I grew up in until I was 14 and my parents left the church and went to another over a schism concerning church growth. Beautiful old building. I used to ring that church bell. Hellacious fun, as when you stopped it by grabbing the rope on the down stroke it would pull you well into the air. I kissed my first girl in the basement of that church (even back then, I was a bad boy). Just goes to show how small the world is.

OUR SPONSOR: LOGIN TO HIDE

Hello, Has your question been answered on this page? We hope yes. If not, you can start a new thread and post your question(s). It is free to join. You can also search our over a million pages (just scroll up and use our site-wide search box) or browse the forums.